Program-Specific Info / Q's Temple University MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8nwong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was recently admitted to Temple University's MOT program and I am very curious to know if anyone has information regarding the program and the university environment. If there are any students that are currently in the program, do you recommend/not recommend? Also, since I understand that the environment around the university is not the safest, where is a safer place to live? Any information that you can provide will be helpful because I will be moving from California. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on attending temple as well! (Admitted and sent back deposit). I am also coming from California and would also love the information 8nwong has asked for!

Reactions: 1 user
I am planning on attending temple as well! (Admitted and sent back deposit). I am also coming from California and would also love the information 8nwong has asked for!

Coolrunnins, I am glad that I am not alone! : )

Members don't see this ad :)
8nwong, would you mind sharing your stats? I applied to Temple and haven't received a response yet. Thanks!

I hope you hear from them soon! I know this is a tough process. I am also waiting to hear from other schools : )

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I have never been to Temple but a couple of my friends go there. They said it's safer than people make it seem, but you definitely don't want to venture off campus and you always want to be walking in a group at night. They seem to enjoy their experience there. I've been trying to get info on a couple schools I have applied to and I actually found Google Earth in Street View to be very helpful. It allowed me to "travel" the streets of some campuses without actually being there. It's pretty cool and gave me a good feel for most areas. I wish I did this before applying because I definitely changed my mind on some schools due to this. Maybe give it a shot and see what you think. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, alg5443! I might just get on Google Earth right now! I'm so excited :rofl:

Thank you, alg5443! I might just get on Google Earth right now! I'm so excited :rofl:

I went to Temple as an undergrad, and lived in the Philly area my whole life. I applied there for their MOT prog but didnt get in. Still, the campus is really nice I think. (maybe i'm biased) its just if you'd venture off when it becomes not so nice. If you're looking to get an apartment, look in the Fairmount/Spring Garden area. Its close to the subway and you can just take that right to class- nicer than North Philly, and cheaper than Center City. although if money is not an issue, def look in Center City! I lived in Fairmount my senior year and loved it. It has more of a young professional feel than a college student atmosphere like the off-campus apartments at Temple do, plus its way nicer than north philly. let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!

I just got accepted to the Temple MOT program last week! I've heard great things about the program, but bad things about the area surrounding campus. My sister went to undergrad and philly and never encountered any issues. My take on this is that if you're careful and never walking around alone, we will be fine. Every city is dangerous. You just have to be smart about getting around.

I just got accepted to the Temple MOT program last week! I've heard great things about the program, but bad things about the area surrounding campus. My sister went to undergrad and philly and never encountered any issues. My take on this is that if you're careful and never walking around alone, we will be fine. Every city is dangerous. You just have to be smart about getting around.

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks :)

Hopefully this gives hope for those of you with below average GPA's because it's not everything!

School: George Washington University
Major: Marketing
Overall GPA: 3.02
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.8
GRE: verbal- 153 math- 152 writing- 4

I have been working in healthcare advertising for the past three years since graduation. I also have about 400 shadowing hours at an underprivileged school and sub acute rehab facility.

Hi guys! I was recently accepted into Temple's MOT program and I have been asking around more about the school. I am getting so many mixed reviews. One of my friends was robbed in front of her apartment a block away from campus, then she moved and there was a shooting on her street. While I have another friend who lived 4 blocks from campus and never had an incident happen. I have had many other people tell me they feel safe, but I also have had many others tell me to be weary of my decision to attend. It seems the crime is scattered and doesn't really matter if you are paying attention to your surroundings or not, if someone wants to rob you, they're going to try to rob you. This is something that I am really taking into consideration, as I am a slightly anxious person the way it is and I'm not sure if I could handle this possibility of crime occurring all the time. I've also noticed that the OT building is in a slightly sketchy part of town, or so it seems that way on google earth. As for where to live, I received similar advice on the nice areas with a more graduate student feel: Manayunk, Fairmount, and Northern Liberties. I think when it comes down to it, I'm just going to visit in the next coming weeks to experience it myself and see if I feel comfortable. I know the program is supposed to be awesome though, so it's hard to turn down, as it is also close to home for me. What are your reasons for attending TU if you have decided on doing so? Are there any current TU students that can give their opinions?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information! It has been so helpful! :)

anyone accepted mind posting their stats so i can see what my chances are? would really appreciate it! thanks!

Y'all should look through here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/gpas-gres-xtras-acceptances.597714/page-4

Though honestly, my experience this past year has been that its all pretty arbitrary/based on a multitude of factors. I think this is especially true now that they get SO many applicants. I was accepted to Philly U, accepted off the waitlist to Thomas Jefferson, and rejected at Temple. You can find people on here with stats that are way better, about the same, or worse than mine that were rejected at Philly U and/or Jefferson but accepted at Temple lol. One thing I have heard is that they don't like accepting their undergrad students, so if you went to Temple for undergrad you'll have a much harder time getting into their grad program. I've also heard that keeping in touch with their admissions counselor/faculty helps (really this is good advice for any school you're interested in, and helped me with TJU.) Don't get too stressed over the stats you see on this forum, just do your absolute best and show them you are hard working, dedicated and passionate! Good luck! :)

I second lcs2074, I was accepted to both temple and TJU and didn't think I had a good shot. I will admit though that it's become super competitive and good grades are a must. Probably all As and Bs within the last 60 credits (or post bachelors work) and more As than Bs). Also separate yourself by showing your writing acumen by writing a special essay and getting interesting recommendations. STAY IN TOUCH WITH ASMISSIONS. Again, get in touch early and stay in touch. I feel it's close to the too factor when deciding between two close applicants. Good luck!

@lcs2074 we're in the same program! See you soon!