Temple University questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sefa02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an email from Temple inviting me for an interview and had a few questions about the school. How is the interview process? the faculty? the students? I'm planning on interviewing with them here soon, but just wanted to find out from other people what they think. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there a few weeks ago. The school is pretty widely recognized by pods across the country (including the pod I shadowed who went there). The facilities are very old. It is like stepping into a time machine and going back to the 1970s. The faculty are good students are also pretty cool. The day was ok except for David Martin (head of admissions). I dont want to give anything away, you will see what I mean when you meet him. Also, bring your barf bag cause you will most like be crammed into a tiny 2 door coupe of some kind with four other people as you take the longest 45 minute car ride to the health sciences campus. The ride back is only 5 minutes (i didnt understand either).... Oh the interview was easy and they I was offered an acceptance the next day.

I just received an email from Temple inviting me for an interview and had a few questions about the school. How is the interview process? the faculty? the students? I'm planning on interviewing with them here soon, but just wanted to find out from other people what they think. Thanks.

There are a lot of students who have commented on the admissions interview and process. I who search the forum for past comments made about Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there a few weeks ago. The school is pretty widely recognized by pods across the country (including the pod I shadowed who went there). The facilities are very old. It is like stepping into a time machine and going back to the 1970s. The faculty are good students are also pretty cool. The day was ok except for David Martin (head of admissions). I dont want to give anything away, you will see what I mean when you meet him. Also, bring your barf bag cause you will most like be crammed into a tiny 2 door coupe of some kind with four other people as you take the longest 45 minute car ride to the health sciences campus. The ride back is only 5 minutes (i didnt understand either).... Oh the interview was easy and they I was offered an acceptance the next day.

I could not have said it better myself. Felt exactly the same about admissions people.

I could not have said it better myself. Felt exactly the same about admissions people.

The thing you need to understand about the admissions people is that you will rarely see them once you are a student. It can be a hit or miss about how one feels about them personally but it really has nothing to do with your experience as a student. When you interview at Temple, pay attention to what the school has to offer, not to how you personally feel about the admissions peeps because their job is admissions, not teaching. So basically what I am saying is you can't judge a whole school on two people from admissions who you may or may not like. I have had a great experience at Temple thus far and the school has much to offer.

The thing you need to understand about the admissions people is that you will rarely see them once you are a student. It can be a hit or miss about how one feels about them personally but it really has nothing to do with your experience as a student. When you interview at Temple, pay attention to what the school has to offer, not to how you personally feel about the admissions peeps because their job is admissions, not teaching. So basically what I am saying is you can't judge a whole school on two people from admissions who you may or may not like. I have had a great experience at Temple thus far and the school has much to offer.

I agree with this.

Temple has produced some outstanding pods. Temple is a great school, I dont think you could go wrong with it. I also heard some students got drilled, haha.

Goodluck

I am in no way stating that Temple is a bad school. Quite the contrary if you read my last post. Temple seemed like a terrific podiatry school that produces fine graduates year after year. In addition, podiatrists only have positive things to say about the program. However, personally, I look at the quality of the facilities as a major determining factor. Hence, I decided to attend somewhere else. Just my two cents. But dont listen to me or anyone else on this forum. Go there with an open mind and see how the school fits your own interests. Good luck!

I have visited 3 pod schools so far(choose not to name them), always wanted to go to Temple, I will be going to Temple. Why, big name school, has a clinic onsite, Philadelphia has great opportunities for residencies, have family and friends nearby. If you can afford it go and see the school

Sorry
I did not answer the question
The interview was extra long because of the tour
The students were great, the faculty were excellent (IMO)
I thought everyone was very professional, I can't wait to start fall

Temple's facilities may be dated but they are well maintained. Other schools have much more new facilities but while they are practicing on high tech dummies temple students are exposed to actual patients. I do not know how it works at other schools but while I interviewed there I noticed and students also commented that when they rotate through clinic they go in by themselves, they do not "share" patients with others. There are no groups of 3 or 4 students going in to see a patient.

It has been said time and time again. All schools will prepare you just fine if you are willing to work. No school will hand you a degree, hard work is required at any of the schools so go where you feel you fit best and willl do the best.

i interviewed @ temple in late december, which was the time when everyone was gone for the holidays or in the middle of a final. due to the lack of student's, i had to rely on what the admissions staff had to say and my perception. newayz...this is how the day unfolded (and probably yours will too):
  • 9am-you'll meet the infamous david martin along with a few others like you.
  • 10am-drive to the health science campus (i agree, this really is unnecessary since nothing we do takes place @ this campus. however, they do have a satellite pod clinic here and the resources here are available to pod students) and drive back
  • 11am-tour the all floors of the pod campus and the on-site pod clinic
  • 1ish-have a bag lunch comprised of soda, chips, and sandwich (not very appetizing, but i hadn't eaten breakfast so it filled the void) also, a couple of third years came in to for a short time.while we each got picked off one at a time to be interviewed by a podiatrist
  • 2:30-financial aid seminar
  • 3ish-final words with david martin
the best part of the day, was the personal interview with Dr. Whitney. he really read into my app, and we had a deep talk about family, school, philadelphia, shadowing,....we covered it all. Dr. Whitney's enthusiasm about podiatry and temple was the complete opposite of what i went through all day on the tour with admissions. the admissions staff has to conduct the same tour twice a week for half the year; it's not surprising there not entertaining.
other than that, i found the facilities to be excellent (especially compared to nycpm and barry). the building might be from the 70's, but it is in excellent condition, it's spacious, and it has all the modern tech throughout the building. the clinic and gait lab were impressive as well.
i left my interview that day knowing i wanted to come here. and i am looking forward to starting @ temple in august.

Temple's facilities may be dated but they are well maintained. Other schools have much more new facilities but while they are practicing on high tech dummies temple students are exposed to actual patients. I do not know how it works at other schools but while I interviewed there I noticed and students also commented that when they rotate through clinic they go in by themselves, they do not "share" patients with others. There are no groups of 3 or 4 students going in to see a patient.

It has been said time and time again. All schools will prepare you just fine if you are willing to work. No school will hand you a degree, hard work is required at any of the schools so go where you feel you fit best and willl do the best.

I'd watch taking shots at other schools without knowing what you are talking about. My guess is that is a DMU shot since they are the only ones with the Patient Sim which you use in your 1st year. I'm not looking to hijak this thread or get into a peeing contest, just want keep the thread honest and positive.

FYI: I went to the school with the high tech dummy and I would put my clinical experience toe to toe with anyone in any field. Find me another 4th year (DPM, DO, MD) that has performed three split thickness skin grafts, two ankle fractures, a few amputations, two metatarsal head resections, a few hammertoes, a bunion, and built and applied over a half dozen ex-fix frames. I've also assisted on a half dozen total ankle replacments, about 50 ankle fractures, two cole osteotomies, a few revisional ankle fusions, a few Charcot reconstructions, a dwyer, and tons more than I can think of.

Again, I agree that Temple has a decent pod program. However, personally, the admissions people turned me off bigtime. I was tired of hearing "We're the best pod program because....." Show first time pass rate on the boards, residency placement, etc before you make this loaded statement. I interviewed at all the pod schools and have to say Temple (admissions wise) is not very impressive. Plus the "Harvard of Podiatry" deal, comon, let's not go overboard here.

Overall, my best interview days were at Scholl and DMU. The admissions people were really friendly and knew a great deal about the pod program (even talking about current research that was being done). They didn't have to sell their school to me or say how great they are, just explain what is offered about the program itself. They also did not put down the other pod schools, which is an important attribute to me.

I understand the school itself (professors) are very good at temple, but its hard for me to want to go there after the interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience at Temple was the best out of all of my interviews.

Although the buildings are old, they are clean and have all of the technology you'll need as a student.

I was the first interview this cycle, so my drive around the city was really nice, (I was the only one).

The admissions staff has been really helpful getting me ready for the upcoming semester. The financial aid rep is so so helpful. The housing rep is really helpful as well.

I asked loads of questions about pass rates and the preparation given to incoming 3rd years for the boards, and I got straightforward answers.

I was not interviewed by the Mr. Martin though. He was away on my day. My interview was with a pod who seemed like he had really read my application before laying eyes on me. I really appreciated that.

Anyway, good luck!

I'd watch taking shots at other schools without knowing what you are talking about.

Excellent advice that you should probably follow as well. You no doubt have more experience than I do with the clinical experiences at DMU. But all you have about other schools is what other students have told you or you have heard through the grapevine.

Also, I would put your clinical experience toe to toe with any other 4th year as well. I think if you take the top 10 students (probably could even take more) from each school there would not be a big difference in them. They are all equally qualified. But once you get to the middle of the pack and the lower half of the classes things can be different at every school. I would always take a real patient over a simulated patient any day of the week.

I would put my clinical experience toe to toe with anyone in any field.

Is that because of the high tech dummy? I am not knocking DMU's clinic exposure to real patients. I have heard other DMU people claim on this board that in clinic you can see as many patients as you can if you work hard and you can see as few as you can. It all depends on how motivated you are.

Find me another 4th year (DPM, DO, MD) that has performed three split thickness skin grafts, two ankle fractures, a few amputations, two metatarsal head resections, a few hammertoes, a bunion, and built and applied over a half dozen ex-fix frames. I've also assisted on a half dozen total ankle replacments, about 50 ankle fractures, two cole osteotomies, a few revisional ankle fusions, a few Charcot reconstructions, a dwyer, and tons more than I can think of.

By bolding the word performed, I assume you are implying that you did those procedures skin to skin. If that is the case, then congratulations but you are most certainly an exception not a standard so you shouldn't try imply that your experience at the school with the high tech dummies is indicative of all who pass through those doors. Again, I am not knocking DMU's clinic exposure but simply stating that a real patient is better than a fake one.

Excellent advice that you should probably follow as well. You no doubt have more experience than I do with the clinical experiences at DMU. But all you have about other schools is what other students have told you or you have heard through the grapevine.

Also, I would put your clinical experience toe to toe with any other 4th year as well. I think if you take the top 10 students (probably could even take more) from each school there would not be a big difference in them. They are all equally qualified. But once you get to the middle of the pack and the lower half of the classes things can be different at every school. I would always take a real patient over a simulated patient any day of the week.

Is that because of the high tech dummy? I am not knocking DMU's clinic exposure to real patients. I have heard other DMU people claim on this board that in clinic you can see as many patients as you can if you work hard and you can see as few as you can. It all depends on how motivated you are.

By bolding the word performed, I assume you are implying that you did those procedures skin to skin. If that is the case, then congratulations but you are most certainly an exception not a standard so you shouldn't try imply that your experience at the school with the high tech dummies is indicative of all who pass through those doors. Again, I am not knocking DMU's clinic exposure but simply stating that a real patient is better than a fake one.

Isn't the simulated patient thing something that is done a few times a year during the first 2 years? By this I mean by a few sessions with a specific topic covered (pretty much non-podiatry issues). DMayor22, I hope you are not assuming the DMU pod students are mainly working with the simulated mannequins and not real patients. DMU'ers have a small class size and begin clinic work around the same time as other pod schools. Furthermore, you get the full 4th year to do hospital based externships pretty much anywhere in the country. Pretty good clinical experience if you ask me.

This is the benefit of experience, but I guess you want to be a tough guy. You'll learn more about other schools when you go on clerkships. I still see many flaws with all the schools and would be happy to discuss them, but I'm not going to hijack a thread to bag on Harvard, I mean Temple.

Two, you're not knocking DMU's clinical exposure? What are you doing then? You are trying to undervalue technology and nice facilities to make up for one of Temple's flaws. Did you see a patient in your first year? If not, a high tech dummy offers a chance to learn patient interaction earlier in the education process. Having patient actors is great to learn the social interaction, but my guess is very few will allow you to physically treatment them (i.e. injections, surgical procedures, ect). The DMU mock surgical suite, "high tech dummies" and SPAL areas give students these chances.

Three, I would say that I am not the expection. I can tell you that psonicblast got to build and apply a ex-fix in a revisional ankle fusion on Thursday. He and Ilizarob have also seen a ton of ankle fxs, I scrubbed a cool ankle fx with Iliarob on Thursday. We actually created a new procedure which will be exciting to see how it turns out. (You can read about both of those cases soon, I'll send you a link to the published case studies) I know that gustydoc has seen a lot of action also. So am I the expection or the norm???

Our time at Broadlawns in our third year is invaluable. Our fourth year allows us to see more things than any other school. But you'll get to experience our clinical skills when you are fighting for residences. FYI: I was ranked at all of my programs, I guess that dummy must be doing some good.

What are we arguing about? Doesn't temple have these same dumb dummies @ their clinic at the health sciences center?

What are we arguing about? Doesn't temple have these same dumb dummies @ their clinic at the health sciences center?

No. Mayor was trying to state that the facilities maybe old but they have real patients not fake ones. It was a underinformed shot at another school that has nice facilites. Instead of stating good things about his school, he took the wrong route. Maybe as students they need to bring it to the atrention of the administration that their is a serious need to renovate.

It was a underinformed shot at another school that has nice facilites.

Not exactly. But read into it as you like. All I was trying to point out but you have ignored with every post is that I would rather have interaction with a real patient than a simulated one. Would you not? Again I would like to know the answer to a question you dodge, did you perform all those things you listed skin to skin? I will say again, I think you can get a great education at most any of the schools. I never bagged on DMU as a bad school, they are just the opposite but it seems like none of the DMU people will acknowledge that their school has any flaws.

but my guess is very few will allow you to physically treatment them

Your guess?

FYI: I was ranked at all of my programs, I guess that dummy must be doing some good.

I'll ask again. Do you believe that simulated patient experience at DMU is what prepared you so well for clerkships and residency? I'm not asking to imply they are not a good teaching school, I am just curious to an honest perspective on the experience.

Furthermore, you get the full 4th year to do hospital based externships pretty much anywhere in the country. Pretty good clinical experience if you ask me.

Thats a big selling point for DMU. Residency is no doubt the name of the game when it comes to jobs. But because they are doing clerkships their entire 4th year does not mean other schools are not getting the exact same amount of clinic exposure. At other schools, you rotate through their hospitals, etc while mixing in clerkships. Personally, I prefer DMU's model better but whether it is actually better is up for debate but I think it is a nice advantage for the students.

I know that gustydoc has seen a lot of action also. So am I the expection or the norm???

You named 3 students, I will even make it 4 from reading JonWill's posts. Interept my posts as you like but I was not trying to take a shot at DMU. I just find it annoying that because Temple students (a significant amount at least) do not regularly post and DMU and to an extent Scholl dominate in the number of posts that the schools are seen as flawless. Every school has flaws and every school has it advantages. Lastly I think students pay to much attention to facilities. Have a brand new Anatomy lab like DMU or a almost new lab like Scholl is nice but the fact remains that you are still learning anatomy the exact same way just about every other pod student or MD or DO student across the country is. We all study from basically the same books. The quality of professors are not equal though. The enviroment in which one needs to succeed are not equal. Lets also realize that the percentage of students/doctors/people posting on this site represent a very small fraction of who is actually out there at the schools and working in the real world.

Not exactly. But read into it as you like. All I was trying to point out but you have ignored with every post is that I would rather have interaction with a real patient than a simulated one. Would you not? Again I would like to know the answer to a question you dodge, did you perform all those things you listed skin to skin? I will say again, I think you can get a great education at most any of the schools. I never bagged on DMU as a bad school, they are just the opposite but it seems like none of the DMU people will acknowledge that their school has any flaws.

Your guess?

I'll ask again. Do you believe that simulated patient experience at DMU is what prepared you so well for clerkships and residency? I'm not asking to imply they are not a good teaching school, I am just curious to an honest perspective on the experience.

Thats a big selling point for DMU. Residency is no doubt the name of the game when it comes to jobs. But because they are doing clerkships their entire 4th year does not mean other schools are not getting the exact same amount of clinic exposure. At other schools, you rotate through their hospitals, etc while mixing in clerkships. Personally, I prefer DMU's model better but whether it is actually better is up for debate but I think it is a nice advantage for the students.

You named 3 students, I will even make it 4 from reading JonWill's posts. Interept my posts as you like but I was not trying to take a shot at DMU. I just find it annoying that because Temple students (a significant amount at least) do not regularly post and DMU and to an extent Scholl dominate in the number of posts that the schools are seen as flawless. Every school has flaws and every school has it advantages. Lastly I think students pay to much attention to facilities. Have a brand new Anatomy lab like DMU or a almost new lab like Scholl is nice but the fact remains that you are still learning anatomy the exact same way just about every other pod student or MD or DO student across the country is. We all study from basically the same books. The quality of professors are not equal though. The enviroment in which one needs to succeed are not equal. Lets also realize that the percentage of students/doctors/people posting on this site represent a very small fraction of who is actually out there at the schools and working in the real world.

First and foremost, this is what I was trying to avoid hijacking the thread. Second, you are sadly mistaken if you think that DMU students do not criticize our school and you have not read all of my posts. I will not waste everyone’s time by listing the numerous flaws with the schools, so please re-read my 2000+ posts or PM me for further discussion. My post as I have stated before was to keep everyone honest and attempted to get you to right your ship.

Next, where you say I dodged your question and I did not read your post. Did you read it?
I assume you are implying that you did those procedures skin to skin.
Is that a question or a statement? Your assumption was correct so why would I say anything.

I guess? I say that b/c I let younger students perform clinical skills on me (blocks, avulsions, injections, ect). You might have patient actors or upperclassmen that allow you to perform skills early in your education, therefore, I guessed.

You state that I listed 4 students (gusty, psonic, Iliza, and myself), there are only 4 students in my class that post here. So if 4 of 4 have these experiences, would you call it the exception or the norm?

As for your clinical experience at Temple, I have not commented on it b/c I know nothings about it. I have meet Temple students and they are discussed their experiences. I will not post their comments good or bad b/c I cannot speak for them and I should not. You should not speak for DMU students when you posted what you have "read." I am more than okay if you want to comment on objective things such as numbers (patient encounters, board scores, outcomes, ect) b/c numbers tend not to lie. Generally, if I am speaking about other schools, I try to include links or numbers b/c it is less opinion and more fact.

Nowhere have I disagreed that real patient is better than a high tech dummy. First, the simulation labs are used in the first two years, how many patients do you get to see at Temple in the first tow years? The problem is that you are posting in an attempt to mock another school, when it was not necessary. You then made an off the mark comment insinuating that the school does not get real patients. All I am doing is correcting your incorrect and underinformed post. Finally, it is hard to understand the benefit if you do not have the opportunity to use them. You can read about ALCS, so why do they have simulated codes when you get certified? As every coach knows, practice makes perfect.

to answer ur question:

interview process:
the morning began with an overview of Philadelphia, long, but sort of useful seeing as how i had the rest of the day and day after to see the city. then it was sort of a Q and A about the pod program, the city, and the university. Katerra (student recruitment) was basically there to try to relax everyone and put them at ease a bit more.

then we broke off and visited classrooms, labs, and the clinics. the clinics which are at different, but very nice locations.

then break for lunch, during which they call you in 1 after another to be interviewed. i was interviewed by dr. newman. he had read my file, and asked me some specific questions in a NON THREATENING manner. haha
one thing i would like to dispel is that the pod school is not affiliated with temple, it is a PART of the temple univ system.

faculty:
met like 2 faculty people. one of them interviewed me, they were smart? i dont know what anyone wants to hear. most faculty at universities are adequate if not above.

admissions:
admissions people were friendly, courteous, and professional. didn't meet david martin cause he was out sick.

students: met 2 students during lunch. awesome people. down to earth.

temple is cool. pod is cool. i was accepted 2 weeks later with a scholarship.
go 2 temple to see for yourself. sdn is cool, but a lot of this place is opinion so form your own by going!

gluck!!!!!:thumbup:

faculty:
met like 2 faculty people. one of them interviewed me, they were smart? i dont know what anyone wants to hear. most faculty at universities are adequate if not above.

lol, isn't that kind of a blanket statement? I'm in undergrad and met some terrible professors, along with great ones as well.

Maybe as students they need to bring it to the atrention of the administration that their is a serious need to renovate.

Talking to our Dean, it was confirmed that there will be renovations in the Clinic and other places in the podiatry school but the problem is this. When you are connected to a big University like Temple, everything has to be approved by them and there is a lot of red tape to cut through. So it might take longer than it needs to.

However, there have been some recent renovations completed to the wet labs. They are now all redone with big LCD TVs connected to cameras that can focus on any object in the room to better show demonstrations. There are multiple TVs so one can have a powerpoint presentation on it while the others can show the demonstrations etc. We recently had dermagraft do a presentation there where they showed how to apply their grafts and it was cool to see the technology being used.

The aestetics at Temple need work but there is a lot of new innovative technology there that makes it easy to be successful as a student and eventually be prepared for greater things to come.

I personally have been to DMU and was much impressed with how nice the campus is and would like to see the same level of aestetics at Temple some day.

Talking to our Dean, it was confirmed that there will be renovations in the Clinic and other places in the podiatry school but the problem is this. When you are connected to a big University like Temple, everything has to be approved by them and there is a lot of red tape to cut through. So it might take longer than it needs to.

However, there have been some recent renovations completed to the wet labs. They are now all redone with big LCD TVs connected to cameras that can focus on any object in the room to better show demonstrations. There are multiple TVs so one can have a powerpoint presentation on it while the others can show the demonstrations etc. We recently had dermagraft do a presentation there where they showed how to apply their grafts and it was cool to see the technology being used.

The aestetics at Temple need work but there is a lot of new innovative technology there that makes it easy to be successful as a student and eventually be prepared for greater things to come.

I personally have been to DMU and was much impressed with how nice the campus is and would like to see the same level of aestetics at Temple some day.

Excellent post and I am glad to hear that they are trying to improve the facilities. I am sure that the politics of a big university complicate things.

The wet lab is actually pretty cool. I recently stopped by for one of the presentation on Pegasus grafts. After talking to one of the professor at school, this is one of two labs that have been built in podiatry schools so far. The first one was built in NYCPM. They are hoping to build other wet labs in other podiatry school. I think that this will be excellent resource for the students.

I believe that they were building one with the anatomy lab, but I have not seen the new lab so I cannot confirm that.

faculty:

lol, isn't that kind of a blanket statement? I'm in undergrad and met some terrible professors, along with great ones as well.

haha u should take a symbolic logic class while ur in undergrad. its not a blanket statement. thats why i used the words "most faculty" and "adequate". if it was blanket, i would have used phrases like 'all professors' and 'every single one of those professors'. most means greater than 50%. i would think if all pod schools are graduating good students (which they do), then "most" probably all the schools have "adequate" professors.

I'm not sure if this was asked earlier, but when is the white coat ceremony for Temple?

thanks.....has anyone heard any feedback regarding the status of their on-campus pod housing application? Mine still says pending (even tho I sent in my 250 deposit in late Feb.)

thanks.....has anyone heard any feedback regarding the status of their on-campus pod housing application? Mine still says pending (even tho I sent in my 250 deposit in late Feb.)

Mine is still pending too :confused:

Although a current student told me not to expect anything until early summer.

Just got an interview invite today. I am excited! I have never been to Philly. I also got an interview invite to NYCPM. Any advise?