This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I am a first year at UTCVM and I just wanted to make myself available to anyone who has any questions about UT or wants to discuss anything about preparing for veterinary school. Congrats to those accepted and waitlisted this is a major accomplishment!!
I was wondering if there's a dress code for classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I'm also a first year, in-state student at UT and would be happy to answer any questions. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and wait listed! (FYI we begin final exams on Friday and will be taking them until next Friday, so our responses might be a little delayed.)

I was wondering if there's a dress code for classes?
I think there is a dress code in the student handbook, but it is not super strict. Dress for class is usually business casual/casual. I usually wear jeans or dress pants and a nicer shirt (Specifics: Jeans can't have holes in them and we usually don't wear any shorts). On anatomy lab days, most people wear scrubs and tennis shoes (you have to wear closed toed shoes for labs).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I am a first year at UTCVM and I just wanted to make myself available to anyone who has any questions about UT or wants to discuss anything about preparing for veterinary school. Congrats to those accepted and waitlisted this is a major accomplishment!!
Do you know how old the oldest in your class is? Average age?

I think there is a dress code in the student handbook, but it is not super strict. Dress for class is usually business casual/casual. I usually wear jeans or dress pants and a nicer shirt (Specifics: Jeans can't have holes in them and we usually don't wear any shorts). On anatomy lab days, most people wear scrubs and tennis shoes (you have to wear closed toed shoes for labs).
Thanks! Also are there any required computers/tech to get? Thoughts on stethoscopes? :)

I honestly have no clue who the oldest person in our class is. c/o 2025 is a wide mix of fresh from undergrad, grad school, and those pursuing this as a second career. In the beginning of the semester people would usually inquire about your interest in large/small/mixed practice and where you went to undergrad rather than age. I know we have quite a few 26 yo, and some older than that possibly 30+, but I would say the average is mid 20s. Do know that being an "older" student will NOT affect making friends or working closely in lab, the age gap is hardly noticed as this is a professional program and we are all pursuing the same goal. I hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Also are there any required computers/tech to get? Thoughts on stethoscopes? :)
There are some requirements to take exams via examsoft. I know iPads do not work with the exam system, but I would reach out to someone at UT about specifics. Other than that, I don't think there are any requirements. A lot of students either use an iPad for notes or a tablet/laptop combo. I have an iPad and laptop and use the iPad/notability app during class and the laptop for studying objectives and taking exams. Either way, basically everyone takes notes on an electronic device because it is almost impossible to maintain physical notes for all of the classes.

I personally bought the basic Littmann stethoscope. During your first year, you will only use it in a few physical diagnosis labs and during one clinical week. I decided on the basic one just in case it gets damaged/lost/etc. during school/clinics and plan to purchase a nicer one later on. I also know some students with more expensive ones or other brands too though.

There are some requirements to take exams via examsoft. I know iPads do not work with the exam system, but I would reach out to someone at UT about specifics. Other than that, I don't think there are any requirements. A lot of students either use an iPad for notes or a tablet/laptop combo. I have an iPad and laptop and use the iPad/notability app during class and the laptop for studying objectives and taking exams. Either way, basically everyone takes notes on an electronic device because it is almost impossible to maintain physical notes for all of the classes.

I personally bought the basic Littmann stethoscope. During your first year, you will only use it in a few physical diagnosis labs and during one clinical week. I decided on the basic one just in case it gets damaged/lost/etc. during school/clinics and plan to purchase a nicer one later on. I also know some students with more expensive ones or other brands too though.
Thanks for all the info! One last question, does anyone know if UT (or any vet school) will assign you a desk or workspace in the building or on campus? Where I'm doing my undergrad, all the grad students in the science department are assigned a desk to use and I was wondering if UT did the same?

Thanks for all the info! One last question, does anyone know if UT (or any vet school) will assign you a desk or workspace in the building or on campus? Where I'm doing my undergrad, all the grad students in the science department are assigned a desk to use and I was wondering if UT did the same?
No problem! I'm not sure about other vet schools, but we are not given a specific work space. There is a library directly connected to the vet school that is shared partially by undergrad students and vet students. It includes some study rooms that can be reserved, a big area with tables for group study, and a separate, quiet study area for individual study.

Reactions: 1 user
No problem! I'm not sure about other vet schools, but we are not given a specific work space. There is a library directly connected to the vet school that is shared partially by undergrad students and vet students. It includes some study rooms that can be reserved, a big area with tables for group study, and a separate, quiet study area for individual study.
Thanks!!

Side note, I lied because I have another question.:lol: how do scholarships work at UT? I saw on the website that they offer some but they didnt list any info on how to apply etc. Does that mean they automatically consider you and then let you know?

Thanks!!

Side note, I lied because I have another question.:lol: how do scholarships work at UT? I saw on the website that they offer some but they didnt list any info on how to apply etc. Does that mean they automatically consider you and then let you know?
I think they normally send out the general scholarship application via email in the summer and then consider you for the individual scholarships you qualify for based on year, background, etc. However, we were told that there were not many scholarships that first years qualified for, but that we should apply just in case.

Has anyone that was accepted for the 2022-2023 year accepted the offer of admission yet? I have not since they said we had until April 15, 2022, but I had a few questions to ask the admissions office and didn't know if it would be weird for me to reach out to them with anything but an answer? Also will they definitely hold our spots until April 15?

Has anyone that was accepted for the 2022-2023 year accepted the offer of admission yet? I have not since they said we had until April 15, 2022, but I had a few questions to ask the admissions office and didn't know if it would be weird for me to reach out to them with anything but an answer? Also will they definitely hold our spots until April 15?
You can reach out to them with your questions, it's not weird. And yes, they are required to hold your spot until April 15, so don't feel rushed or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi again! OOS applicant. Do we send our fall transcripts? I do not see anything about that on the admissions page or in the brochure. I haven't heard anything yet, I just wanted to check since my semester ends next week. Thanks :)

I have a quick question- I am not a current applicant but I was not sure where to post this. I am at Tennessee for undergrad but plan to apply widely in a couple of cycles. If a school requires a certain pre req with a certain number of credit hours (ie say a school requires 4 credit hours of microbiology but I have taken a 3 credit hour only and made a B) can I take an equivalent course for the correct number of hours? So using that same example what if I went back to a different institution and took a 4 credit microbiology course-would the school overlook a B in the 3 credit hour (because it doesn’t meet the requirement) and take whatever grade I make in the 4 credit class? Sorry if this question is confusing I’m not really sure how to ask it😂

I have a quick question- I am not a current applicant but I was not sure where to post this. I am at Tennessee for undergrad but plan to apply widely in a couple of cycles. If a school requires a certain pre req with a certain number of credit hours (ie say a school requires 4 credit hours of microbiology but I have taken a 3 credit hour only and made a B) can I take an equivalent course for the correct number of hours? So using that same example what if I went back to a different institution and took a 4 credit microbiology course-would the school overlook a B in the 3 credit hour (because it doesn’t meet the requirement) and take whatever grade I make in the 4 credit class? Sorry if this question is confusing I’m not really sure how to ask it😂
I’m not sure about that, but I would look into if the schools want micro lab….usually from what I know 4 credits means 3 lecture + 1 lab (at least that’s how mine always worked out from my undergrad school, not sure how others do it)

It would be better to contact the vet schools you are interested in and make sure their course requirements match what you want/have taken. Some schools are very picky about equivalent courses. For example, a school I applied to requires 3 hrs of Biochem, however, I have to take 6 hours (biochem 1and 2) at my school to satisfy that requirement. Most schools have been very generous with me about evaluating my transcripts and helping me plan future courses.

It would be better to contact the vet schools you are interested in and make sure their course requirements match what you want/have taken. Some schools are very picky about equivalent courses. For example, a school I applied to requires 3 hrs of Biochem, however, I have to take 6 hours (biochem 1and 2) at my school to satisfy that requirement. Most schools have been very generous with me about evaluating my transcripts and helping me plan future courses.
Can I just say the Biochem requirements make me want to scream! My undergrad did two semesters of it as well and some other prevet student got so sassy with me because I mentioned I was taking the second semester knowing some schools want both portions if it’s split in two and she was like “schools only want 3 credits I’m not taking it” SO moral of the story, be prepared, take advantage of schools that help you figure out what you need for them ESPECIALLY your top schools

Can I just say the Biochem requirements make me want to scream! My undergrad did two semesters of it as well and some other prevet student got so sassy with me because I mentioned I was taking the second semester knowing some schools want both portions if it’s split in two and she was like “schools only want 3 credits I’m not taking it” SO moral of the story, be prepared, take advantage of schools that help you figure out what you need for them ESPECIALLY your top schools
Yes! My top school even said " we are very picky about biochem". It's been a rare occurrence for me to get certain schools to reply to my inquiries, so I prioritize the ones that do!

Definitely agree you should contact the schools directly for things like required courses, that is something where you want to make sure you're getting the correct information directly from the source :)

While y'all are waiting on decisions and such, consider joining in on a fun activity that has been a staple of the SDN pre-vet forum for many years! It's a great way to connect with other people on the site and distract yourself from the terrible waiting! More info in the first couple posts of this thread :)

• Haha
Just got OOS denied! But 100% expected as I applied before seeing the fact that I didn't meet their raised GPA cutoff haha!

Was coming to tell you OOS guys that emails are going out.... Sorry for you guys who didn't get good news. I'm in state but didn't get what I wanted either!

OOS Interview!

OOS rejection not surprised. Good luck to those who will continue :)

I am OOS and was not selected for a Tier 1 interview but my application is still under review for a Tier 2 interview. What does this mean? This is my first time applying to UT and I am confused about the lingo.

I am OOS and was not selected for a Tier 1 interview but my application is still under review for a Tier 2 interview. What does this mean? This is my first time applying to UT and I am confused about the lingo.
I just got the same email. I’m not sure either.

maybe it's that you've been waitlisted for an interview, but if someone declines an interview you will be pulled to get one?

So I spoke with admissions and it basically means that you have been waitlisted for interview and if they decide to Interview you it will be the last two weeks in March. Basically the applicant pool was super competitive and they are saying that your application was good but not good enough and if they need to fill spots at the last minute they will contact you.

Same here. Still grateful that it wasn’t a rejection :)

Congrats to those with interviews, and chin up to those with waitlists or rejections <3 It does seem like the applicant pool was incredibly competitive this year, based on some of the average stats at several schools

Reactions: 7 users
OOS interview!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
OOS interview!

Reactions: 4 users
For those that received OOS interviews and sent confirmation emails -- did you receive an email in response that they received your email? I did not, but I think that's probably normal because the admissions office is so busy. I just wanted to check with others :)

For those that received OOS interviews and sent confirmation emails -- did you receive an email in response that they received your email? I did not, but I think that's probably normal because the admissions office is so busy. I just wanted to check with others :)
I sent a response back that said I got the email. They sent me an email back with my date and time and told me if people didn’t reply confirm date and time in their reply email they responded back just to confirm. Maybe you replied confirming date and time so they didn’t reply back. They were especially worried about people getting the time zone correct.

• Love
I sent a response back that said I got the email. They sent me an email back with my date and time and told me if people didn’t reply confirm date and time in their reply email they responded back just to confirm. Maybe you replied confirming date and time so they didn’t reply back. They were especially worried about people getting the time zone correct.
Yes, I specified date, time, and time zone. Thank you, this is very helpful! Happy holidays!

Does anyone know when Facebook groups for the class of 2026 get created? I think after OOS offers are sent out right?

Does anyone know when Facebook groups for the class of 2026 get created? I think after OOS offers are sent out right?
It's usually after April 15th since the school won't have the official class settled until then

Class of 2024 student here. The class of 2025 will set this up for you guys closer to April/May. Hang in there! Congratulations to everyone accepted. To those waitlisted/denied, make the most of your gap year(s). You can fit in a LOT of growth in the in between, and clinical/situational info sticks in your brain a lot better in school if you have experiences to draw upon (and try to offset future loan debt by saving early). Reach out if you have any questions. :giggle:

Third year here! I’m the old woman in our class. 37. :)

Congrats on all these acceptances! How exciting!

Third year here! I’m the old woman in our class. 37. :)

Congrats on all these acceptances! How exciting!
I'm older than you and was waitlisted this year, lol. I like to think I'm a lot younger at heart though

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if we need to send fall transcripts?

Has anyone gotten any emails about an accepted students day? my email has been blocking incoming mail from Webadmit for some reason :(

also along those lines has anyone gotten an official acceptance letter in the mail? I didn't but I got a letter dated Jan 4 that said congratulations and some other things