terminated from internship or employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the repercussions of finding future work if one was fired from an internship or pharmacy job? How much of a disadvantage is it to look for future work? If one was to sue the company at fault, is it common for perspective employers to do a civil background check and discover the suit?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the repercussions of finding future work if one was fired from an internship or pharmacy job? How much of a disadvantage is it to look for future work? If one was to sue the company at fault, is it common for perspective employers to do a civil background check and discover the suit?

If you have other good references, you're fine.

Reactions: 2 users

I can't answer any of your questions, but pharmacy is a small world.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the nature of the termination I would imagine, though the person is probably blacklisted from the company that fired them.

As far as future job applications, I don't see it as a hindrance as it doesn't need to be mentioned.

i know an intern who couldn't pass the naplex after 2 tries n got fired. then later found his way back to become PIC at CVS at a different district with different supervisor. ^^

Depends on the nature of the termination I would imagine, though the person is probably blacklisted from the company that fired them.

As far as future job applications, I don't see it as a hindrance as it doesn't need to be mentioned.

It seems like most applications and even some state licenses asks this question. It's a B.S. reason, but I hear the HR computer instantly rejects applications if the fired box is checked...

also some license board apps ask this question.

I was fired from CVS. Here I am now with a job that pays more than almost all CVS PIC's, a boss who loves me, a DOP of a major hospital interested in me, a job interview at another hospital coming up next week, and still countless per-diem independent community jobs in NYC, with 2 of them on the regular. Mind you I am now blacklisted from CVS, can never work there again. It was probably the best thing I ever did, getting fired.

Reactions: 3 users
The only repercussions are no reference and you are most likely blacklisted from that company.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, but a lot of companies seem to ask this question, additionally, with the Work Number and other data collection companies, it seems easy for employers to find out past work history.

I agree, but a lot of companies seem to ask this question, additionally, with the Work Number and other data collection companies, it seems easy for employers to find out past work history.

They ask the question but have no way to confirm the answer. The work number makes it harder. All they can find out are the dates you were employed and your pay rate.

I have interviewed and hired people that I knew were fired from their previous job. Pharmacists almost never admit that they were terminated, they will call it a layoff or say they quit, but you can usually tell. Sometimes they turn out to be the best employees. Just because somebody wasn't a good fit for one job doesn't mean they won't be a good fit somewhere else or that they should never work again. Sometimes they just had a horrible boss.

Reactions: 2 users
They ask the question but have no way to confirm the answer. The work number makes it harder. All they can find out are the dates you were employed and your pay rate.

That, but most employers will answer the question, "is so and so eligible for rehire?" A no answer can be do for any number of reasons, even not having given sufficient time with their resignation notice, but if a person expects or suspects that a prior employer may answer that question no, that person better be upfront and have an answer about that for their potential new employer.

I was fired from CVS. Here I am now with a job that pays more than almost all CVS PIC's, a boss who loves me, a DOP of a major hospital interested in me, a job interview at another hospital coming up next week, and still countless per-diem independent community jobs in NYC, with 2 of them on the regular. Mind you I am now blacklisted from CVS, can never work there again. It was probably the best thing I ever did, getting fired.
you said in a previous post that you quit with style.

Reactions: 1 user

HaHa, good catch! I guess it probably went like this:

"You're fired!"

"You can't fire me, I quit!"

posts on SDN: "I quit in style today!"

That, but most employers will answer the question, "is so and so eligible for rehire?" A no answer can be do for any number of reasons, even not having given sufficient time with their resignation notice, but if a person expects or suspects that a prior employer may answer that question no, that person better be upfront and have an answer about that for their potential new employer.

Im pretty sure companies spill the beans if a gov institution asks these questions; however, in the past, a threat of a suit if the previous company maligns one with this answer will often give a neutral reference.
basically, if someone is fired from their job as a pharmacist, does that mean they are unemployable save lying? the former employer's conduct never enters the equation in our society.

Showed up to work in nothing but an unbuttoned lab coat and a smile. The fine line of fired/quit.

For Walgreens, if another company calls and asks them about an employees, all they will say is employee worked for them between day x and day y.

yeah but does your boss give you ESSP like CVS did?

Im pretty sure companies spill the beans if a gov institution asks these questions; however, in the past, a threat of a suit if the previous company maligns one with this answer will often give a neutral reference.
basically, if someone is fired from their job as a pharmacist, does that mean they are unemployable save lying? the former employer's conduct never enters the equation in our society.

You lie, you will get caught, and you will end up being unemployable. People are fired everyday from all kinds of jobs, and they go on to get other jobs. The key is being HONEST, even if the company was 100% at fault for your getting fired (which is extremely unlikely), just tell your prospective employer that the job was a bad fit, but you feel confident that the job you are interviewing for will be a good fit because ____________

You are really making this much harder than it needs to be. Bear in mind you aren't going to get a unicorn job, as your next job after being fired. Just get a job, keep it even if you hate it, then after a year or 2 you can start looking for another job.

You lie, you will get caught, and you will end up being unemployable. People are fired everyday from all kinds of jobs, and they go on to get other jobs. The key is being HONEST, even if the company was 100% at fault for your getting fired (which is extremely unlikely), just tell your prospective employer that the job was a bad fit, but you feel confident that the job you are interviewing for will be a good fit because ____________

You are really making this much harder than it needs to be. Bear in mind you aren't going to get a unicorn job, as your next job after being fired. Just get a job, keep it even if you hate it, then after a year or 2 you can start looking for another job.

I'm not sure if this works in the 21st Century. Most HR work is computerized and automatically filters out people canned. The perception, like you mentioned, is that's extremely unlikely to be the employer's fault, even in an at-will labor meat market. Furthermore, the fired question has no time duration, exccept for federal work (five years).

Can you elaborate how the mechansim works after someone gets screwed by an employer?

Odd. Switch "hospital" and "CVS" and its the same story for me.

I'm not sure if this works in the 21st Century. Most HR work is computerized and automatically filters out people canned. The perception, like you mentioned, is that's extremely unlikely to be the employer's fault, even in an at-will labor meat market. Furthermore, the fired question has no time duration, exccept for federal work (five years).
Can you elaborate how the mechansim works after someone gets screwed by an employer?

This is where networking helps, so you know someone at the business you are interviewing for. Lying or leaving gaps in your employment is a worse way to go about it. Nobody will respect or hire a liar (people are more willing to respect and hire someone who is honest about their mistakes and to give them a 2nd chance.) Your best bet (which obviously isn't as good as if you'd never been fired, but since you were) is to be honest about getting fired. You seem to want people to give you a good cover story, and we are telling you, lying with a cover story is much worse than being honest. Your hesitancy at being honest would make me never hire you, and I expect you are giving off that impression in interviews as well, which is why nobody is hiring you.

As I and others have mentioned, there are many pharmacists who got jobs, right now in the 21st century after being fired. Just be honest, and be reasonable about where you apply for jobs (IE, if you are only looking for jobs in greater Manhatten, the reason you aren't getting any call-backs isn't because you were fired, its because of the extreme saturation of pharmacists there.)

At will states mean people get fired for any reason. In my case it was to prevent someone else getting the axe. But that's beside the point. Any HR team's computer will automatically reject an app that has this box checked. Society is basically compelling me to self-defamation myself to fit the previous employer's false narrative. Pharmacy is basically burn and churn at this point.
I need practical advice, not Victorian, employer based fantasies. Please give helpful advice, posters. I appreciate it.

Background check is pretty intensive. They want you to give them your work history and they want to contact your previous supervisor. We interviewed this pharmacist and offered her a position. During the background check, her previous supervisor didn't have nice things to say about her. Did we know it was true or not? Of course not but that didn't matter because we had a line of pharmacists applying for the position. We withdrew the offer and that was the end of it.

So what options do you have?

A) If you lied about it, then you are going to get caught.

B) If you are straight forward about it, then they may not give you a chance.

Given these two options, I would rather go with B. At least with B, you still have a shot. In addition, I would send a letter to your previous HR department informing them that they are liable if they say negative things about you, assuming you didn't do anything wrong of course.

But who knows what you did. Sometimes, HR has a legal duty to warn other employers. They may even have a legal duty to report what you did to the board of pharmacy. It sounds like you are looking for a loophole. If you had an abusive boss, then I feel truly sorry for you. But if you screwed up, then this is the consequence of your action.

What background check would show past employment and even comments by previous employers? The only background check I am aware of is the criminal background check which just says clear/clear/clear. I figure there are ways of seeing past employment along with the start and end date but I figured that was the extent of it aside from their ability to just call up the past employer(s).

Background check is pretty intensive. They want you to give them your work history and they want to contact your previous supervisor. We interviewed this pharmacist and offered her a position. During the background check, her previous supervisor didn't have nice things to say about her. Did we know it was true or not? Of course not but that didn't matter because we had a line of pharmacists applying for the position. We withdrew the offer and that was the end of it.

So what options do you have?

A) If you lied about it, then you are going to get caught.

B) If you are straight forward about it, then they may not give you a chance.

Given these two options, I would rather go with B. At least with B, you still have a shot. In addition, I would send a letter to your previous HR department informing them that they are liable if they say negative things about you, assuming you didn't do anything wrong of course.

But who knows what you did. Sometimes, HR has a legal duty to warn other employers. They may even have a legal duty to report what you did to the board of pharmacy. It sounds like you are looking for a loophole. If you had an abusive boss, then I feel truly sorry for you. But if you screwed up, then this is the consequence of your action.
That is a whole bunch of nonsense stuff.

Yes! This is what I'm talking about!

BMB, many employer's HR have a policy of just giving dates of employment, etc. What would such a situation pose for the prospective employer?

BMB, many employer's HR have a policy of just giving dates of employment, etc. What would such a situation pose for the prospective employer?

If you did something illegal, it is going to be tough to get around today's technology. Instead of trying to hide it, I would spend more time in trying to legally remove it from my record.

Yes! This is what I'm talking about!

I don't think I am the norm. If you get fired or terminated you better find a place to work for a solid year or two to hide your previous employment. That's one thing that happened to me coincidently.

Also, the reputation you make for yourself goes a long way. Being an honest person, a caring person, a real person, and making friends with everyone will get you just as far in a job search as having all the credentials in the world or having the degree and GPA. Be the person to potential employers that you would want to work for, and they will see that. Would you work for you? Would you hire you?