termination of a contract??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

margotz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I decide to leave a porgrma,, to go to another,,,in the same specialty ,,,how bad dooes that look??
How difficult is terminating a contract????
( im a prelim in an ob program,,need to look for a 2nd year spot , but there are already spots beign open for pgy-1 mid year)

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, your program probably has service requirements and your absence will leave them with a hole in their roster. How sure are you of getting that mid-year PGY-1 spot in the new program? If it is a done deal? If it is then you can probably break your contract and leave. On the other hand, you should read the fine print of your contract which probably says that if you quit you can't go to a different program until the original contract expires.

On the other hand, since you are in a preliminary spot your program probably expects you to be looking for a new program and they might be happy to let you go early if you have landed that spot.

Be very tactful and diplomatic whatever you do. I am switching programs and specialties myself but I am not leaving until my current contract expires in June. You'd better believe I am being nothing but sweetness and light to everybody.

Bottom line is that residency is a job. You should try not to hurt your program by leaving them in the cold. However, sometimes you have to do what's best for you, and if that means leaving in the middle of your contract than that may be what you have to do.

You are in a prelim spot. No one has offered you a residency. I would present this to your PD and be honest. You need to find a categorical residency, and your PD understands that. She/he may even help you with the transfer.

If you like your program, give your PD a chance to hire you as categorical first.

Just remember that unless your PD releases you that it is breach of contract and the program can sue you or otherwise cause trouble. However, I've never actually heard of this happening. Two people left my former program in the middle of the year and everything turned out fine.