Terpenes on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While studying out of the BR Organic Chem book, I noticed that there is a lot of detailed information about terpenes in section 4. How necessary is it to know terpenes for the mcat??

Members don't see this ad.

Got a terpene passage on my actual mcat. Surprised b/c there was supposedly no alkene chemistry.

Then after I read the questions, I realized that you didn't need to know alkene chemistry to answer the questions.

Got a terpene passage on my actual mcat. Surprised b/c there was supposedly no alkene chemistry.

Then after I read the questions, I realized that you didn't need to know alkene chemistry to answer the questions.

Exactly!!! They are definitiely a tested topic, but in terms of structure and biology, not alkene reactivity.

Terpenes should be understood as a class of compounds. Know the 5, 10, 15, etc... rule and the connectivity. Know that they are UV active because of their pi-bonds and that they can undergo coupling reactions.