Terrible cGPA w/ First Degree but Dramatic Upswing w/ Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I posted something similar to this several months ago but I wanted to update the numbers now that I am done with the Post-Bac. I know this may be a little lengthy and I apologize, but I want to give all the facts and be completely open. I graduated from Vanderbilt University in the spring 2012 with an awful GPA of 2.31. The second month of my freshman year I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and absolutely no medication I was put on worked. Throughout my four years I stayed in remission maybe 2-3 months out of each year. For those that do not know, Crohn's is a GI autoimmune disorder that causes pain, severe cramping, and, in my case, severe anemia and fatigue. Because of this medical issue my grades dropped fast. I went from all A's on my first few exams to solid C. By my sophomore year I knew it was best to give up on my dream of becoming a doctor and focus on graduating with a degree and focus on my health. I decided to switch my major to political science and miraculously did graduate on time. A week after graduation I was placed on a new drug which has kept my disease in complete remission ever since. I am honestly a completely different person. However, this also caused me to become very depressed; if this drug had only been available 4 years before then, I would likely be preparing to go to medical school. As the weeks went by and my chosen law school's orientation date approached, the more I realized I could not go through with it. Two weeks before moving for law school I withdrew my seat and decided to throw all my chips in one more ditch effort to go to med school.

I enrolled in a local state school with a good science rep in order to do a do-it-yourself post-bac (there are no schools around that offer true post-bacs). I had only had a handful of hard sciences (Gen chem and 1st semester bio) before I swapped my major at Vandy. I am now finished and have done everything I can do to repair my grades. Since being on this medication and going back to school I have a 3.82 after finishing. This also includes several upper division classes such as Cell & Molec, Biochem, Organic Spec, and Micro. I have roughly 100 hours of shadowing, over 7 years of community service and volunteer experience, and will have almost a year of research with the possibility of a publication. Finally, I plan to take the MCAT June 5th and apply this coming cycle. I have been prepping with TPR and my practice scores have been between 35-41. However, despite my obvious upswing and stark difference between my grades before/after I was on proper medication, I will only be able to increase my overall GPA to 2.86. My sGPA should be very similar to my Post-Bac GPA.

Again, any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated. I just really hope I haven't done all of this recovery for nothing. I feel that I have a fairly unique situation and I think the last two years show I am competent, I'm just concerned about getting passed the screens.

Sorry it was so long but thank you for reading!!!

Members don't see this ad.

We can be more helpful with your AMCAS (or AACOMAS) calculated gpa's (both cumulative and science), the actual MCAT score and a list of schools you have developed based on your research. State of residence is also helpful.

I'm glad you are doing better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I am a TN resident. My AMCAS GPA will be 2.86 (I know this because LSAC for law school calculates GPA the same way so adding that info to my postbac info give me 2.86) AMCAS calculated GPA will be slightly lower than post bac GPA. I expect 3.6-3.7 because I only took a handful of science classes at vandy. Will know definite numbers when AMCAS updates my transcripts. MCAT will be taken June 5th but I have been studying for 4-5 months and will be very surprised if it is under a 35. AACOMAS stats will be higher because of the grade replacement but I have yet to start that application.
I am also URM (American Indian) if that matters.
As far as schools, I am also looking for advice on where to apply to avoid the screens. I think I have a good story to tell, I just hope I can tell it. Obviously will be applying to my state schools and MMC in TN. Also, I've been in contact multiple times back and forth with the assistant dean of admissions at Vandy who is encouraging me to still apply there if my MCAT reflects my practice scores since I've had such a major turn around. I'm not sure about that tho.
Any advice/recommended schools is greatly appreciated.

Take my feedback with a grain of salt (especially compared to the previous poster), but I do believe Native Americans receive the biggest URM boost based on what I've seen. I think a Native American with a high 30's-40 MCAT should be able to get into quite a few programs (outside of Dakotas included)

Take my feedback with a grain of salt (especially compared to the previous poster), but I do believe Native Americans receive the biggest URM boost based on what I've seen. I think a Native American with a high 30's-40 MCAT should be able to get into quite a few programs (outside of Dakotas included)
Sorry, I didn't to imply that my suggestions should be the limit of the list!
His list should be much, much longer.
Although there is a lot of regional variability with regard to the penetrance of his UIM status, that gpa is a big red flag. In some ways it's even bigger with a good MCAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help so far guys. Will it really be a huge red flag given my dramatic post bac turn around and if I thoroughly explain the situation? I feel like I have a pretty compelling story, I just need the opportunity to tell it. The Vandy admission dean made it sound like if my mcat and gpa were really high the adcom would pause to see what the discrepancy cause was, meaning I really need to explain myself in the statement.
And I guess what I'm mostly looking for is school list advice. I'm already well aware I'll be applying very broadly. Again I really appreciate the help. Apologize for any typos. I'm sending these via iPhone.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Will it really be a huge red flag given my dramatic post bac turn around and if I thoroughly explain the situation? I feel like I have a pretty compelling story, I just need the opportunity to tell it. The Vandy admission dean made it sound like if my mcat and gpa were really high the adcom would pause to see what the discrepancy cause was, meaning I really need to explain myself in the statement.
And I guess what I'm mostly looking for is school list advice. I'm already well aware I'll be applying very broadly. Again I really appreciate the help. Apologize for any typos. I'm sending these via iPhone.
He is right.

Ok, that won't be an issue. Do you have any other suggestions for schools to apply to? Thanks again. I really am ver appreciative.

Ok so I should wait until after I get my MCAT back to start submitting my applications? I thought I needed to have it in early, especially under my circumstances?

Ok so I should wait until after I get my MCAT back to start submitting my applications? I thought I needed to have it in early, especially under my circumstances?
You can submit to one (throwaway) school to get the verification process expedited. Then upon receiving the results you add the real schools. They will upload within a business day.

You can submit to one (throwaway) school to get the verification process expedited. Then upon receiving the results you add the real schools. They will upload within a business day.

@gyngyn So I took the MCAT 6/21 with great success. I received a 41. Below are the schools I have applied to. Can you recommend any other ones? Thanks!
Albany Medical College

Baylor College of Medicine

Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
East TN State U., James H. Quillen Coll. of Med.
FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
Howard University
Indiana University School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Morehouse School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
SUNY Upstate Medical University
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
University of Central Florida COM
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of TN Health Science Cntr Coll. of Med.
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center

Wow - Congratulations on that spectacular MCAT!

I suspect that your MCAT, combined with your Native American URM status will be enough to get your application read thoroughly enough to get past all but the sloppiest initial GPA screeners and have your secondary read (which I'm assuming, tells your Crohn's story). Your recent GPA is strong enough for almost any school, demonstrating that you're more than capable enough if properly medicated.

Wishing you great things! --