Texas 3.92 GPA 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esaias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Texas Resident. I'm an economically disadvantaged Asian male. I heard Asians are less likely to get in, is that true?

I'm only applying to Texas schools. My GPA is 3.92 at University of Texas at Austin majoring Biochemistry, my MCAT is VR/BS/PS: 6/13/13 =32. Should I retake?

Key points:
I have 100 hours of volunteer experience and shadowing each but volunteering is split among a lot of different student organizations and church.

Drug design undergraduate research for 2 years.

Certified personal trainer (with a emphasis on rehab/sports med) with CPR/AED/first aid

Managed a team to make a freely distributed medical app for iOS (iPhone) to calculate gait symmetry. It has implications for Parkinson's disease.

I have 3 great recommendations, know the recommenders personally very well.

Departmental scholarship for academics and leadership.

Academic Honors.

Less relevant stuff: Been in tutoring, ROTC Air Force team leader(volunteered to raise money for veterans), web design. Each for a year. Proficient at Cantonese and Mandarin. Elementary Spanish. Currently in a new startup as cofounder. (Dunno if I should put it there since my advisor said it may hinder my medical school application.) Hobbies: rowing, basketball, cooking, supplement research and investments

I don't really care too much about what medical school to go to, just want to get in a Texas one since I'm saving money and don't want to get into debt. Dream school is UT Dell medical school if they're going to open because my girlfriend and good friends are rooted in Austin.

Chances on Dell and other Texas schools please?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! Your VR score is very low - I'm uncertain what chance you have because a lot of schools autoscreen for weak sections, but with your other sections being so high, it might be possible. You should be applying, like, TODAY to get your best shot. The rest of your app is strong and if you can get to the interview, you might have a shot. Be sure not to overlook TCOM, UTRGV and maybe consider applying to OOS Osteopathic schools. I believe the SDN consensus on Dell med is that it will be quite competitive, but give it a shot. Good luck! Be sure to keep us informed!

I heard Asians are less likely to get in, is that true?

On the past matriculate data, yes Asians are typically harder to get in. But not impossible with your VR as mentioned in previous quote that it might be harder to get in.