Texas Academic Fresh Start Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People who use AFS are the exceptions to the TMDSAS rule of not submitting transcripts until accepted. What's the earliest we can submit transcripts? May 1 or 15?
I submitted mine the same day I submitted my TMDSAS app. There’s nothing they can really do if they get them early - they need your completed TMDSAS app to cross reference the classes. So I would send them when you submit the primary.

Members don't see this ad.

AFS wiping out AS credits from more than 10 years ago doesn't invalidate the BS. The fact that the BS built upon the AS is irrelevant.

You appear to be saying 1/2 of your coursework is more than 10 years old. That means 1/2 of your courses are less than 10 years old. If you have 130 credits, then half go away leaving you with 65 hours. You need 90 hours to apply to medical school. In other words, you need 90 hours that are less than 10 years old. I had to take extra courses to get my recent hours up to 90.
I would have exactly 90 credits from 2016 till now. BS degree and the prereqs. But like I said. The AS degree would be wiped out. I’m good to go?

I would have exactly 90 credits from 2016 till now. BS degree and the prereqs. But like I said. The AS degree would be wiped out. I’m good to go?
You are good to go! The classes from my entire BS were wiped out ;) it doesn’t negate the fact that you still have the degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are good to go! The classes from my entire BS were wiped out ;) it doesn’t negate the fact that you still have the degree.
Awesome! Would you go through this path if you only had a 3.1 or should I be fine with applying to Dental school? If I did the fresh start I’d have like 3.7-3.8.

Because I’d have to get residency and then take a class so 1.5 years ish right?

Thanks

Awesome! Would you go through this path if you only had a 3.1 or should I be fine with applying to Dental school? If I did the fresh start I’d have like 3.7-3.8.

Thanks
Hmmm I don't know anything about dental pathway so you might want to ask in the dental forum to see if 3.1 is competitive. I had a 3.2 before AFS and that would not have been competitive for med school.

If you aren't already in Texas, then yes you would need a year to establish residency.

3.1 is not competitive for Texas dental schools. Need 0.5 more.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks

If you can go from a 3.1 to a 3.8, it is definitely worth 1.5 yrs effort. Not only do you substantially improve your chances of acceptance, but you also improve your chances of having a better choice of programs.

I will quote this email again, which is also from TMDSAS:
"When figuring out what coursework will be excluded once you invoke Academic Fresh Start, you subtract ten years and one term. TMDSAS will recognize the AFS designation that would appear on your institution’s transcripts (where you invoked AFS) and based on the date that you will invoke AFS (Spring 2022) would exclude coursework from Fall 2012 and back."
Thanks for this information. So, if I apply for summer of 2024 and the last grades, I want removed from my transcripts are from spring of 2014, would that also constitute being 10 years or more under TMDSAS?

Thanks for this information. So, if I apply for summer of 2024 and the last grades, I want removed from my transcripts are from spring of 2014, would that also constitute being 10 years or more under TMDSAS?

I think the answer is maybe because summer semesters are, for a better term, wonky. In theory, it should work, but I would get it in writing from someone (preferably someone from TMDSAS). When I used AFS, I not only got everything in writing, but I printed out those emails, put them inside a 2-hour-rated document fire safe, and put that document safe inside my 4-hour fire-rated main safe, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I think the answer is maybe because summer semesters are, for a better term, wonky. In theory, it should work, but I would get it in writing from someone (preferably someone from TMDSAS). When I used AFS, I not only got everything in writing, but I printed out those emails, put them inside a 2-hour-rated document fire safe, and put that document safe inside my 4-hour fire-rated main safe, lol.
Thanks for the quick reply. Also, if I want the grades from spring of 2014 to be "erased," will declaring AFS for fall 2024 enrollment satisfy the state mandate to avoid the "wonky" summer semester? :lol:

I declared in summer 2022 and had spring 2012 and before wiped out. But again, good to get this in writing from TMDSAS as well.

I declared in summer 2022 and had spring 2012 and before wiped out. But again, good to get this in writing from TMDSAS as well.
I contacted TMDSAS several times and they are avoiding any specific answers and replied with this latest email,
"Please keep in mind that TMDSAS does not grant nor advise on Academic Fresh Start. TMDSAS will simply recognize this provision that was granted by the schools. You will need to speak with the school where you plan to invoke AFS and confirm which terms will be excluded."
Regardless, to be safe, I am going to invoke AF this fall to avoid any potential issues. Again, thanks for the information regarding your personal experience with AFS.

I contacted TMDSAS several times and they are avoiding any specific answers and replied with this latest email,
"Please keep in mind that TMDSAS does not grant nor advise on Academic Fresh Start. TMDSAS will simply recognize this provision that was granted by the schools. You will need to speak with the school where you plan to invoke AFS and confirm which terms will be excluded."
Regardless, to be safe, I am going to invoke AF this fall to avoid any potential issues. Again, thanks for the information regarding your personal experience with AFS.

Yep, that sounds about right, which, honestly, is nonsense. TMDSAS should be allowed to standardize the process so that things are even across the board instead of being advantageous for those who go to big schools that have a great grasp on the concept vs. some small schools in a rural setting. Granted, that would take legislation to do, but still, it seems a reasonable task given the intent of the law.

In checking with schools about Academic Fresh Start, these are my findings:

1. Houston Community College appears to be the easiest school to work with.
2. Blinn College was responsive to emailed questions and might be easy to work with.
3. Alvin Community College's registrar answered all questions after about a 2 day delay each time. They put AFS on the transcript.
4. Galveston College said AFS will not appear on the transcript. Don't use them.
5. San Jacinto College updated my transcript to indicate Academic Fresh Start. I recommend using a different school.
6. University of Houston will not provide it for people who already have a bachelor's degree as previously discussed.
7. Lone Star College is pretty good administratively. They might be a good option, although there is one historic post stating they are slow to process AFS.

You can complete the requirements of AFS by taking a 1 semester hour course. No need to pay more tuition and spend more time on a course than is necessary.