Texas controlled substance verbal prescription

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imagine14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve been out of practice for a bit and is just getting back to workforce, so I was trying to review my texas pharmacy laws.

Seems like as of Jan 2021, ALL controlled substances must be electronically sent, unless they have exemptions/waiver. If prescribers have exemptions/waiver they are allowed send a written prescription for controlled substances, but it doesn’t allow them to call in unless emergency.

then I read the definition of emergency is “the immediate administration of the drug is necessary for the proper treatment of the ultimate user, no alternative treatment is available, and it is not possible for the prescribing practitioner to provide a written prescription”

I spoke to some of my retail pharmacist friends and they said they do accept verbal rx for c3-5 (never for c2 unless a “real” emergency like natural disaster), because we are not required to check whether they have exemption or not. So then, are we as pharmacist guessing that this is emergency where electronic rx/written rx cannot be sent into pharmacy in timely manner? What if they are calling in because the office does not have the ability to send in rx electronically? In that case, they won’t be able to follow up and send electronic rx like they are supposed to do according to the law.

So retail folks… do you accept verbal rx for c3-5? Do you check with the person who calls if it is emergency? Do you check if they have the ability to send rx electronically?
If they dont, do you refuse and tell them to bring in a paper rx?

Thank you in advance for all your help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The law allows them to call them in if they have a waiver on file. No need to verify that waiver. The onus is on the prescriber.