About the ads

Texas License

Discussion in 'Hematology / Oncology' started by pillu, Aug 21, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. pillu

pillu Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Do we need full medical license for fellowship or in training license is good enough? I am feeling dizzy after reviewing the requirements for full license. Any tips on license application process in Texas?
  2. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician PhD SDN 7+ Year Member
    This is likely institution/program dependent rather than state dependent. After a quick perusal, TX doesn't have a rule (like CA does) that anyone over PGY2 level must have a full license. Your program or GME office however may have more restrictive requirements. Check with them.

That said, I would just go for it personally. You are going to have massive amounts of time 2nd and 3rd year of fellowship to moonlight and you can't do that without a license. Also, I doubt TX is more of a hassle to get a license in than any other state so eventually you're going to have to nut up and deal with what is, just about everywhere, an enormous hassle.
  3. pillu

pillu Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thanks GutOnc. I just checked with the GME. They will help with getting 'in training' license. I could work on full license if I want.
  4. SideshowBob

SideshowBob AAO X 3

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The GME office will help you get a Physician in Training (PIT) permit for TX. That's all you need to be a fellow. Usually the GME office will initiate the application and pay the fee. That being said, go for the full license. Its a pain in the butt and expensive but worthwhile for moonlighting purposes.