Texas Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bound_4success

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been asked before so I apologize if it has.

So I currently live in New Mexico in undergrad, however my parents live in Texas and I am claimed as a dependent. If I have been living in New Mexico for the past 4 years, am I considered a New Mexican resident? Or because my parents claim me, will I be considered a Texan resident? If I am given the option to chose state residencies (by still being considered a dependent or by no longer being claimed) would it be wiser to stick to a New Mexican residency if I am planning to go to medical school or would it be wiser to stay with a Texan residency for the wide variety of schools to choose from? If I choose to stick if a Texas residency, would I be considered to have strong ties with New Mexico since I graduated there?

Thanks in advance.

Where did you go to high school? If you graduated from a TX high school that would help your case for claiming TX residency. If your parents are just living there and you went to school in another area it might be difficult. From what I understand, you need to be living somewhere consecutively for a year to be considered a permanent resident; however I believe you can get around it if you graduated from high school in TX or went to college in Texas. You should be able to find something online with more information.

I think it would be wise to stick with Texas because there are more schools; although NM schools heavily favor IS applicants. If you have lower stats and want MD I'd say stay in NM based on their schools' MSAR stats.

I think you would be able to if it was because of the military. I would just email one of the medical schools you plan on applying to and ask. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Call and ask tmdsas, I went to high school out of Texas and college but since my parents live in Texas am a resident. I believe it must be a full calendar year of them living there, but if you claim Texas as your permanent home (where you go to on breaks and such) then it is likely you have a good chance. Even if you're not considered a resident you'll have strong ties in your application and live in a nearby state so should have a good chance depending on your stats.

NM resident here. Definitely try any route to be able to claim TX residency. Although UNM (don't know much about BCOM and their policy for NM applicants) may be enticing due to their low stats and overall high acceptance rate for IS residents, I would be very wary of claiming NM residency for the sole purpose of applying there.

TX has many more options and if you're a stellar applicant, you almost certainly won't be limited to one option. This way, you can decide on a school based upon what you are interested in and desire for a lifestyle.

Last edited:
I would try for Texas, in part because I am biased, but also because it gives you a lot of options. I don't know how many schools NM has, but Texas has 10 schools and all of them heavily favor in-state (they have to have 90% of the incoming class be from the state). Most of the schools are in big cities with lots of resources and, the best part of all, are very affordable. For in state residents, tuition is typically around $16000-$18000 a year.

Reactions: 1 user
I would try for Texas, in part because I am biased, but also because it gives you a lot of options. I don't know how many schools NM has, but Texas has 10 schools and all of them heavily favor in-state (they have to have 90% of the incoming class be from the state). Most of the schools are in big cities with lots of resources and, the best part of all, are very affordable. For in state residents, tuition is typically around $16000-$18000 a year.

Except Baylor only has to take around 75% instate...