MD Texas Resident - 29.5 AVERAGE MCAT and 3.76 Science 3.85 Total GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredapplicant2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So heres what my profile looks like:

1st MCAT: 10V 10PS 10BS
2nd MCAT: 8V 10PS 11BS
Cumulative Science GPA (including TAMS) = 3.802
Cumulative Overall = 3.879

Lots of different research - 2 at UTSouthwestern, 1 at MD Anderson, and 1 at UTD
Community Service - 200+ hours at TAMS - Gold Cord Award for leadership and community service (thrift store volunteering w/ 20-30 kids/week), tutoring middle/high school kids at TAMS and AES Freshman Mentor at UTD, serving food to the homeless, nursing home volunteering
Paid Employment - paid tutor for college students at UNT and UTD, scribe
Honors - National Merit Scholar, CV Honors graduate, Major Honors (which required a 26 page thesis), Cum Laude, Deans List, Biology Olympiad Semifinalist

Clinical Experience - Scribe (274.5 hours so far - more to come since I will continue it during my gap year)
Shadowing - 90 hours total

Since my MCAT is low im not even expecting an interview at southwestern/Baylor - but will be pleasantly surprised if I get one - but I am surmising that Texas Tech, Texas A&M, UT San Antonio, and UTMB Galveston should like my application....

What should I expect out of state?
I have not submitted my application yet - still working on personal statement

Regarding that - I have severe asthma, and my experiences with that have definitely motivate me to pursue medicine. How do I say this without sounding like an idiot?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also applying to Texas schools this cycle. We have a similar GPA/MCAT, so I'm very interested in what is said here regarding your chances at the schools you specifically mentioned (TTU, Texas A&M, UT San Antonio, UTMB, etc).

Everything I've read about applying OOS as a Texas resident is that non-Texas schools know that TMDSAS schools must accept 90% Texas residents, so they can be a little hesitant in offering interviews and acceptances. Looking at the statistics, it looks like a vast majority of applicants with stats like yours end up in Texas. That said, I'm probably going to be applying to 3-4 OOS schools myself, but I'm also looking for feedback on that strategy (here is my thread if you are interested in commenting or looking at the feedback: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/4-0-gpa-and-28-mcat-texas-resident.1076516/)

I'm by no means an admission expert but your extra curriculars look amazing. You have tons of volunteering, clinical experience and shadowing, and your research looks good. You've made it known that you want a career in medicine.

I'd say you have good chances of getting into a Texas school this cycle. Applicants with your stats look to have around a 78% of getting an acceptance (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-who-applied-with-your-cgpa-and-mcat.888650/).

I would include your asthma story in either your personal statement or secondary applications. You might start off by talking about the adversity your asthma has presented you and how medicine has helped improve your quality of life, and tie that in with how that experience has inspired you to pursue a career in medicine. I don't think you will sound like an idiot. Just be genuine about it and draw from your past experiences. I think it can make for a good personal statement.

Like I mentioned, I'm far from an admissions expert, but I say your chances of getting into a Texas school are good.