Texas schools or "prestigious" schools if in state resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistreason

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if it was worth the financial cost to go out of state (such as penn UCSF etc) if I am an in state at Texas. Let's say I get a scholarship at Upenn or something, would it still be a better decision to go in state? Is it really that much easier to specialize going to a high ranked school or what not? I know many people who get accepted to upenn or other out of states but stay in tx because of the price, so I am not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Texas schools are solid. If you get scholarships elsewhere and would like a change of scenery then consider it if the prices are comparable but otherwise you'd be crazy to not go to your state school, especially when it's in Texas.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I was wondering if it was worth the financial cost to go out of state (such as penn UCSF etc) if I am an in state at Texas. Let's say I get a scholarship at Upenn or something, would it still be a better decision to go in state? Is it really that much easier to specialize going to a high ranked school or what not? I know many people who get accepted to upenn or other out of states but stay in tx because of the price, so I am not sure.
All of the Texas schools are really good. I got a 150k scholarship to attend UMKC but turned it down for Baylor because it was still MUCH cheaper. You can specialize from any school you go to. You just have to put in the work.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas schools are solid. If you get scholarships elsewhere and would like a change of scenery then consider it if the prices are comparable but otherwise you'd be crazy to not go to your state school, especially when it's in Texas.
So scholarships at out of states are generally not gonna come close to the price of tx schools?

So scholarships at out of states are generally not gonna come close to the price of tx schools?

Even a scholarship at an an in-state school for the rest of us isn't going to be close to how "cheep" the Texas instate is. I'd also argue that the Texas dental schools are probably better schools, or at least on par as the ones you mentioned.

Ask yourself, why would I want to go elsewhere? What are the benefits of going to a school away from Texas? Only 2 reasons I can see - 1) a scholarship that gives you a free education 2) you just want to get out of state for a few years. Otherwise, there is no reason to go OOS. You will get a great education at any of the dschools in Texas.

Texas schools are the best and top 3, 4, and 5 cheapest schools in the nation, right below Puerto Rico and I believe, Georgia. Specialization is up to par if not better than most out of state schools. ~25% of the class matches into residency, the others usually prefer gp.

Reactions: 1 user
Texas schools just as good and way cheaper, no reason to go OOS