Text Book discrepancies - Pathoma vs. FA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cundiff1080

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm doing GI right now and there seems to be a solid amount of discrepancies between FA and Pathoma. Not just this chapter, but just in general. For example Celiac Disease in pathoma says primarily duodenum is effected where FA says it primarily effects the jejunum. In general, would you tend to trust one over the other? I just don't have time to go and look up every difference. Or am I just being too scrupulous and should ignore these minor facts? Just curious about how people tend to approach these! Thanks in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

My FA 2014 copy says "affects distal duodenum and/or proximal jejunum", while I recall Pathoma emphasizing the importance of the duodenum. I wouldn't say that's a discrepancy so much as a specification. I seem to recall the duodenum being tested on UWorld and/or NBME practice exams.

As for the other discrepancies you've noticed, I'd tend to trust Pathoma. Any time he emphasizes something, he really has good reason to. As an aside, the kicker is it may not show up on Step 1, but you'll see it on Step 2CK. Two examples that have shown up on Step 2CK practice Q's I've done that I've only known from Pathoma:
-NSAIDs relieve pain from osteomas, not osteosarcomas
-p-ANCA is associated with IBD

Reactions: 1 user