Text Reference for Pain Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temeraire

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newly minted MS4 here. I've signed up to take a pain medicine elective next month. I'm super excited about the elective, and I want to make the most out of it. I like having a reference text to casually page through when I get back home (i.e. read up on something interesting I saw, or to brush up on some basic principles). I enjoyed reading Baby Miller's when I was on my anesthesiology rotation, but the pain medicine chapter isn't terribly detailed. Is there a good beginner's text for pain medicine?

If it helps, I know the elective alternates between an outpatient pain clinic, acute pain rounds within a hospital, and some perioperative days (probably with some emphasis on regional anesthesia). I have Hoppenfeld's physical exam book, which I know will be a useful reference for outpatient stuff. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I like Benzon's text. Also, Dannemiller's course (for listening while driving/working-out) is excellent is helpful.

Rathmel's Atlas of interventional pain and regional anesth is worth getting. It has interesting fluoro pics, isn't that expensive and isn't an overly wordy tome.