Thank you letter question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of a weird question, but when I e-mail a thank you letter to the admissions committee, should I write it directly in the e-mail or send it as an attachment?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't send it to the whole committee, just to the person(s) who interviewed you directly. I would also send it as the email body itself, not as an attachment. Remember, it's supposed to be you thanking them for taking the time to meet with you and discuss your application and give you insight about their school, not some extremely formal, impersonal message that would probably come across as trite and insincere.

In the email body. Send it to your interviewer. You are thanking the interviewer, not the committee. Most interviewers will then forward it to the admissions office for it to be added to your file.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the email body. Send it to your interviewer. You are thanking the interviewer, not the committee. Most interviewers will then forward it to the admissions office for it to be added to your file.

Or hit delete. When we had paper files for applicants, thank you letters did find their way there but it has not been our practice (N= 1) to add them to the electronic application. The policy now is to toss them.

Reactions: 1 user
Ours our added to the applicants file. I never look at them for committee meetings, though. I read enough of them (painfully) just from interviews.

Same. They get scanned into the file at my school but I never look at them. They don't make a difference in your chances one bit.

Reactions: 1 users
I have heard to send a hand written one to the committee thanking them for their time and the interview, and email thank-yous to interviewers.

Whatever you do, it's not going to make a difference.

Some people send thank you letters because they truly appreciate the opportunity to interview there. Not everyone does it to gain a few extra brownie points.

Reactions: 1 user
Some people send thank you letters because they truly appreciate the opportunity to interview there. Not everyone does it to gain a few extra brownie points.

Yes. But it makes no difference if you send an email to one or a snail mail to another, like NN was responding to.