thank you notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halflife94

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For interviews is anyone emailing the interviewers with thank you notes or are you mailing them? HL

Members don't see this ad.

At the residency info session held by PD's at my school, they made it clear that they hate getting extra emails even if it's of the thank you variety. If you want to, send a real card. You aren't obligated to send anything. Unless your interview was particularly memorable and a card will jot the memory of the interviewer, it won't make a difference.

I was reading some FMG site and they said to send thank you notes to everyone...
Then another site said just the program director...
I really don't know what to do, an email seems sort of insignificant and not very thoughtful but a card would be nice I think, but that only really makes sense if you forged a significant bond with the interviewer.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about if you do an extramural - would you send a thank-you card right after, or wait until after the interview & cover both? (interview is 2 months after end of extramural)

this is a lot of freakin' thank you notes, that's all I have to say on the matter.