Thanking your letter writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legion560

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed already. A friend of mine wrote thank you notes to his letter writers which I thought was a good idea. But he also bought each of them a small gift. What do you think about that? I wouldnt mind getting my letter writers something small-like a Starbucks gift card or something like that, but does that come off as total arsekissing? Especially since some of these people will have a say in ranking me?

Legion560

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I would avoid bribery until after match. I hand wrote thank yous to all of them. Then after match day we will see.

EctopicFetus said:
Yeah I would avoid bribery until after match. I hand wrote thank yous to all of them. Then after match day we will see.

Personally, I don't think you need to resort to bribery. We're poor med students, and they appreciate that. I've been e-mailing my letter writers intermittently to let them know how I'm doing and where I am interviewing. I'll send them written thank you's after Match and graduation announcements in the spring. :p

Legion560 said:
Sorry if this has been discussed already. A friend of mine wrote thank you notes to his letter writers which I thought was a good idea. But he also bought each of them a small gift. What do you think about that? I wouldnt mind getting my letter writers something small-like a Starbucks gift card or something like that, but does that come off as total arsekissing? Especially since some of these people will have a say in ranking me?

Legion560

It's totally unnecessary. However, if you have an adviser who was particularly good to you and you really want to do something, cookies are always appreciated. ;)