That one bad semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepsound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

I got a 3.0 during the spring of my freshman year and since then, I've been desperately working to make up for it, getting three 4.o's over the past four semesters and raising my cumulative up to 3.75. Will that one bad semester matter in the application process? Do the admissions people look at the transcript holistically or do they only see the GPA?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They look at your total GPA, but so long as you keep your cGPA above 3.6 overall you're fine, particularly with an upward trend. Don't stress one semester- it's not like you got a 1.0, you had a single semester of B performance. Chill out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've read that med schools like to see improvement, so they'll be impressed to see that you went from a mediocre student to an excellent one. Upward trends are a good thing!

I've read that med schools like to see improvement, so they'll be impressed to see that you went from a mediocre student to an excellent one. Upward trends are a good thing!
Come on, one semester first year with a 3.0 is not a mediocre student. They understand transitioning to college is an adjustment period. Her overall GPA is over 3.7. She is clearly not mediocre

Phewww ok I feel a lot better now. Thanks everyone for your input!

Furthermore, your grades are reported by academic year, not semester/quarter/term, so a single semester will never be under the microscope.

Reactions: 1 user