That one time when I drooled over the EM doc the other day...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yeah, this really happened.

I'm doing my ride alongs as an EMT-in-the-making on an overnight shift with two beefy non-minority, non-females.

We drop off a patient at the ER and I am bowled over by the fact that the EM doctor is duh-duh-duh:

A BLACK MALE. That's like finding a purple unicorn.

I get all gooey-eyed and stuttered - and the paramedics start cracking up - but in my defense I was just a lowly EMT student with my company-logo student polo and I was amazed to see a Black male EM doctor.

I wanted to ask if I could shadow him. I wanted to ask if he could mentor me. I wanted to ask about his path to becoming a doctor. Were his parents doctors or was he a boot-strapper?

I wanted to say something, anything, except the random gurgles that came out of my mouth.

I was thanking God at that moment that my skin pigment does not turn beet red.

Back in the ambulance, I got major ish from the two guys who thought I was having a panty-soaking moment.

The ER doctor WAS gorgeous, but come on, I did see the ring on his finger.

And this ^ is why we need more people who look like us in the medical field. More people = more mentors = less face palm moments for those of us trying to become doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
LMAO you are a good writer and that was good for a laugh. I disagree the moral of the story (which seemed like a complete non sequitur to me) but it certainly added to the comedic effect.

@Noomm Thanks for the compliment. I'm still trying to figure out how to salvage this situation, lol. I might have to come down with a case of angina or something but that would be a very expensive way to pluck up the courage to ask for a mentor.

<--- wants to be an ER doc ;]

Reactions: 1 user