That was unexpected...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IGotGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow gas people!

Last Sunday I was planning on going into EM. On Monday I found out that wouldn't happen in the near future. On Wednesday I was offered an spot at an anesthesiology residency.

Other than the areas that overlap with EM (mostly airway stuff and lines, I guess) my anesthesia knowledge base is pretty minimal. I feel like I don't even know what I don't know, if you see what I mean. Incidentally, I am about to finish my M4 year with an anesthesiology elective. Any suggestions on really basic intro-level reading material?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow gas people!

Last Sunday I was planning on going into EM. On Monday I found out that wouldn't happen in the near future. On Wednesday I was offered an spot at an anesthesiology residency.

Other than the areas that overlap with EM (mostly airway stuff and lines, I guess) my anesthesia knowledge base is pretty minimal. I feel like I don't even know what I don't know, if you see what I mean. Incidentally, I am about to finish my M4 year with an anesthesiology elective. Any suggestions on really basic intro-level reading material?

Dripps/Eckenhoff/Vandam: Introduction to Anesthesia [Hardcover]
David E. Longnecker MD (Author), Frank L. Murphy MD (Author)

You can buy it used on amazon for $15. Really good comprehensive introduction to anesthesia. Easy to read.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't go wrong with baby miller, but you might want to wait and see what books your anesthesia program is going to get you.

I'll second baby miller.

I have morgan and Mikhail because I picked it up cheap at half price books. I'm liking it a lot so far.

I received Anesthesia Secrets as a gift from our chair and although it's pretty clutch for pulling out and reading before a case, I'm not sure it's what I would choose as your first foray.

I also have big miller. Hopefully you can download the pdf chapters free through your school/library like I did. Have the whole thing on my ipad. Pretty useless for your purposes but worth getting whatever you can for free at this point through your medical school.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Any good podcasts out there?

Chill IGotGas......you'll be hating anesthesia soon enough. Why hasten the inevitable by immersing yourself in the subject so soon? Read Baby Miller; more than adequate.