The 3 GPA'S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avinash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So you are supposed to list every college you have attended and all the classes you taken at those colleges. So when amcas does the gpa computations for the science gpa, do they include all the classes you took from all the colleges youv attened? Do they do the same thing with the non science gpa? and the overall gpa? Is it true that the science and non science gpa are suppoed to similiar?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup --

All of the classes at the various schools that I had attended were lumped together in science and non-science my AMCAS. They don't give each school it's own GPA broken down into science and non-science (which is always good in case you didn't do well in one science class in one school but did do well in another science class at another school).

As for whether science and non-science should look similar, I think it's more that they should both look as good as possible. If there is a discrepancy, don't sweat it. It's better to have one be good and the other not so good than to have them both stink.

Hope that answers your question avinash! Best of Luck!

avinash said:
So you are supposed to list every college you have attended and all the classes you taken at those colleges. So when amcas does the gpa computations for the science gpa, do they include all the classes you took from all the colleges youv attened? Do they do the same thing with the non science gpa? and the overall gpa? Is it true that the science and non science gpa are suppoed to similiar?

They'll only be very similar if you are a science major (or otherwise took a lot of sciences), or if you are equally good at the sciences and nonsciences. As the prior poster said, you want your cum and BCPM to both be as high as possible, but they needn't be the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what category computer science classes fall under?

I believe they count CS as a humanities.

Some links...

AMCAS Instruction Book (This contains all the essential info)
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2005instructionbook.pdf
Regarding Computer Science, see p. 29. It will essentially go into your All Other GPA (i.e., it doesn't count in your science GPA).
See the info on colleges attended too--that's why everything gets lumped.

AMCAS Grade Conversion Guide:
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/conversionguide.pdf
Page 2 has a sample of how the BCPM (science) and your non-science courses will appear for calculations.