The Application Cycle Is Almost Over! Come Dance With The Dark Side.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd open a thread with tips, tricks, and advice for people applying next year. Feel free to add your own.

Here's what I learned about dental school applications in the past year:

-Apply early goddammit!

-Send in your secondaries ASAP (I didn't do this b/c of summer classes and it somewhat negated the fact that I sent in my AADSAS application early)

-Write a letter to the Admissions Director of your #1 before the cycle opens and say You are my absolute number 1 school....I regret not doing this and I think it could've helped get an interview earlier

-Don't be afraid to call AADSAS to question something. (I had a non-science class changed to an other-science class because it was cross-listed with a science department, only by calling and e-mailing AADSAS did they change it...and my sGPA increased)

-If you take the DAT after you submit your AADSAS application, fax/e-mail each admissions office a copy of your unofficial report the day that you take the DAT. You will save weeks.

-Don't be afraid to call schools to check your status, don't check too often though

-You need to be professional and polite but not uber formal when talking on the phone with admissions offices, they're regular people who are usually really nice

-Be patient when waiting for interviews

-I got the feeling that most ADCOMS don't thoroughly read through your application until you're invited to interview...keep that in mind when writing your essay and filling out your ECs

-Rejections happen. Call the admissions office to see why and then move on.

-Don't be the super excited person who talks way too much at interviews

-Don't be the person who doesn't talk to anyone at interviews

-Look professional at interviews but don't overdo it

-Don't mention SDN at interviews

-Be positive and friendly during the entire interview day, you are being assessed at all times

-It's been said before....interviewers can see through BS. Be as truthful as possible and they will appreciate it.

-Ask a lot of questions to your interviewer, tour guide, and students. Make yourself stand out by being the person who is really interested in the program.

-Never talk bad about other schools

-After your interview, write thank you notes

-Don't badger admissions committees too much

-If you are waitlisted at a place you really want to go to write a LOI (Letter of Intent)

-Don't be too bummed if you don't get in anywhere don Dec. 1. Wait a month for deposits to be sent and hope for the best.

-When you're signing up for the DAT, make sure to send your scores to all the school (check all the boxes) because it will cost you a lot more if you choose more later

-Buy the ADEA 2012 book it is filled will tons of information: http://www.adea.org/publications/Pages/OfficialGuide.aspx

-Do research on the school before you apply, write secondaries, and interview. Go to their website, search SDN, talk to a dentist, etc

-Send your transcripts on the first day the cycle opens (if you want to be super/needlessly fast, mail them before the cycle opens)

-If you need to get transcripts from more than 1 school, do it AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Schools often mess this up and you get stuck waiting.

-Get your LORs as soon as possible from people who know you well, they matter

-Maintain your grades for Fall 2012, it's easy to loose focus when traveling to interviews every other week and you can do some major damage to your GPA if you take your eyes of the prize.

-This process is expensive so if you don't have a lot of money consider getting a job or finding a way to pay for everything (application, secondaries, flights to interviews, deposits, second deposits, etc, etc)

That's if for now, if I think of more later I'll add them. Feel free to add more.

In the mean time...Come dance with the dark side!

iAbb6.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great advice thank you! I'll be submitting my application before my DAT scores come in so I'll definitely be sending in my unofficial scores.

I thought I'd open a thread with tips, tricks, and advice for people applying next year. Feel free to add your own.

-Apply early goddammit! AMEN! Do it.
-Send in your secondaries ASAP Also good advice. I aimed for a turn-around time of under a week. Have 2x2 pictures, envelopes, stamps etc. ready beforehand. If the essays are available, answer them.
-Don't be afraid to call AADSAS to question something. Very true. They answer your calls quick and give you definitive answers.
-Don't be the super excited person who talks way too much at interviews Seriously...no one cares about your research or trip to Italy. Except the interviewer.
-Look professional at interviews but don't overdo it.
-Don't mention SDN at interviews. So true. No one wants to hear the rumors about their school.
-Be positive and friendly during the entire interview day, you are being assessed at all times.
-Ask a lot of questions to your interviewer, tour guide, and students. Make yourself stand out by being the person who is really interested in the program. This is true. Make a list of questions and make sure they are answered.
-Never talk bad about other schools I disagree. If they ask what other programs you are interested in/have seen, be truthful. And mention that each has strengths and weaknesses.
-After your interview, write thank you notes IT can only help.

Some other advice:
-Send in your transcripts to AADSAS early. Even before you fill out the application
-Obey simple fashion rules. Men, that means no white nike socks with a suit. Ladies, no skimpy skirts.
-If the interviewer asks if their school is number #1, do not answer yes unless it actually is. If it is, say yes. If it isn't, tell them it's a top tier program you are looking into.
-Don't be afraid to pause to think of an answer.
-Make sure your facebook wall and pictures are 100% private and your profile picture contains no questionable anatomy, illegal paraphernalia/activity, or alcoholic consumption.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best advice I can emphasize is apply early. Get your transcripts, LOR's (committee letter could take awhile if not proactive), and DATs in ASAP. Also, apply broadly. Sometimes you'll be like wtf how I get into this school, but not the other haha.

LOR's for me was the most hassle. Get it done before the app cycle opens if possible.

Some other advice:
-Send in your transcripts to AADSAS early. Even before you fill out the application
-Obey simple fashion rules. Men, that means no white nike socks with a suit. Ladies, no skimpy skirts.
-If the interviewer asks if their school is number #1, do not answer yes unless it actually is. If it is, say yes. If it isn't, tell them it's a top tier program you are looking into.
-Don't be afraid to pause to think of an answer.
-Make sure your facebook wall and pictures are 100% private and your profile picture contains no questionable anatomy, illegal paraphernalia/activity, or alcoholic consumption.

One of my friends who was on a medical school admissions board told me "always say that school is your top choice".

What is so bad about mentioning sdn at interviews? I have mentioned it at one interview and got into that school.

Apply early and stay on top of the status your transcripts/LoR/DAT score reports/secondaries.

At interviews, try to be enthusiastic, confident and sociable.

One of my friends who was on a medical school admissions board told me "always say that school is your top choice".

Your right on this. The guy who was just saying otherwise doesn't know what hes talking about.

-Apply early goddammit!
-Send in your secondaries ASAP (I didn't do this b/c of summer classes and it somewhat negated the fact that I sent in my AADSAS application early)
-Write a letter to the Admissions Director of your #1 before the cycle opens and say You are my absolute number 1 school....I regret not doing this and I think it could've helped get an interview earlier
-Don't be afraid to call AADSAS to question something. (I had a non-science class changed to an other-science class because it was cross-listed with a science department, only by calling and e-mailing AADSAS did they change it...and my sGPA increased)
-If you take the DAT after you submit your AADSAS application, fax/e-mail each admissions office a copy of your unofficial report the day that you take the DAT. You will save weeks.
-Don't be afraid to call schools to check your status, don't check too often though
-You need to be professional and polite but not uber formal when talking on the phone with admissions offices, they're regular people who are usually really nice
-Be patient when waiting for interviews
-I got the feeling that most ADCOMS don't thoroughly read through your application until you're invited to interview...keep that in mind when writing your essay and filling out your ECs
-Rejections happen. Call the admissions office to see why and then move on.
-Don't be the super excited person who talks way too much at interviews
-Look professional at interviews but don't overdo it
-Don't mention SDN at interviews.
-Be positive and friendly during the entire interview day, you are being assessed at all times
-It's been said before....interviewers can see through BS. Be as truthful as possible and they will appreciate it.
-Ask a lot of questions to your interviewer, tour guide, and students. Make yourself stand out by being the person who is really interested in the program.
-Never talk bad about other schools
-After your interview, write thank you notes
-Don't badger admissions committees too much
-If you are waitlisted at a place you really want to go to write a LOI (Letter of Intent)
-Don't be too bummed if you don't get in anywhere don Dec. 1. Wait a month for deposits to be sent and hope for the best.

That's if for now, if I think of more later I'll add them. Feel free to add more!

iAbb6.gif

That's a really good list.

-YES, I second getting your LORs squared away early, and from people who know you extremely well. Supplement them with as much info as you can -- your CV, personal statement, dental school app process, things they can use in their letters.

-Keep a journal of dental/comm service/research -related experiences because it'll be extremely helpful in capturing the correct sentiments when you start drafting your personal statement

-Start your personal statement early and start getting feedback EARLY. Don't wait until your essay is perfect. I must have gone through 100+ iterations of like 4 different essays, but it was worth it because the writing came up in more than one interview.

-Make sure you have a good head shot ready to print before you start getting secondaries. Many schools ask you to send/bring in a photo (usually passport sized, or 2x2).

-Speak deliberately, enunciate, and make eye contact.

-It's okay to laugh on interview days. Some of mine felt so stiff, and it was obvious the students/faculty appreciated a lighter mood.

-Being late to your interview is not an option! Allow time for transpo issues (e.g. parking, traffic, getting lost) and wait around in a cafe next door until half an hour before your interview. Yes, being 20-30 min early to the interview room is not a bad idea.

-Ask as many questions to as many students as you can at your interviews. We don't have second looks, and choosing between various acceptances can be agonizing if you didn't gather enough info during your interview.

-Take notes at the end of each interview day: gut feelings, good and bad impressions, students, campus, facilities, etc.

-Get lots of sleep the 2 nights before your interview! !

-Get the names and correct titles of your interviewers. Send thank-you notes c/o the school's admissions office. One trick is to bring the ty cards with you to your interviews. At the end of the day you'll be tired, but gushing with things you love about the school -- the perfect time to relax in a cafe and write your letters. Then you can just drop em off in a mailbox before you leave the campus.

Hey guys, is applying June 1st but taking the DAT early August considered late?

The late vs early debate has always gone on and will always go on. However, here is my opinion: Its not discreet. There is no point time that you suddenly go from early to late; its continuous. Consequently, the only take home message here is that earlier is better than later. That's it. lol