The AudiologyNOW! 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcd12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow AuD students!

This post is in regards to hotels during the 2012 AudiologyNOW! conference in Boston.

If any of you are planning on attending the conference but have not yet booked a hotel room, we may have a proposition for you:

We are are two third year AuD students (1 male, 1 female) who have a hotel room booked (2 full beds) from Tuesday night through Saturday night (3-27 to 3-31) and are seeing if anyone is interested in sharing this room with us to cut-down costs for all involved.

The hotel is right next to the conference, booked through AAA: $229/night.

We would like to split this room with 1 or 2 extra people. (We are thinking that we could rotate who gets a bed and the other 1 or 2 people could crash on the floor/couch/cot.)

We know that this would not be the most optimal arrangement, but as graduate students, every dollar saved can make a huge difference. This would be a great way to save money and meet fellow students in your field!

If you are interested, please send me a personal message or reply with your email and we can work out the details! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

On similar topic (no offense but I have no interest in sharing a room), who all is going?

Would be a good opportunity to put faces to names if anyone feels like meeting for a beer. Afterall, if you're saving money by rooming with people you might as well put it to good use!

-D

already booked a room at 40 Berkeley Hostel. anybody else staying there? it was the cheapest deal in town, close to the convention center, hopefully not scary. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there through Friday night. Staying at the Courtyard Tremont. Got a flyer in the mail for the Widex party today. That looks like a fun one.

I was pulled off the waiting list so I'll be making the trip now. Got a room at Parker House Hotel in the financial district (hotwire FTW). I'd have to pay to use the shuttle service since it's not on the official list for Audiology NOW. Luckily the T seems cheap enough and in convenient proximity. I'm pumped!

I'll be there through Friday night. Staying at the Courtyard Tremont. Got a flyer in the mail for the Widex party today. That looks like a fun one.

Nice. I can't find any links for the parties and haven't been registered long enough for the flyers. What's the info? They were a crucial part of my meal plan last year.

oooooo, we should start making a list of all the parties!

Staying at the Courtyard Tremont.

That's where I'm staying! I was going to share a room, but with all the extroversion expected of me at the conference, I need my nights to be introvert-friendly! ;) I'll be there Tuesday--Sunday morning.

Thursday night 7-11 at Felt Billiards and Night club

Food Billiards Dj Dancing

2012-02-18_15-26-52_861.jpg

What was on Wednesday night?

Celebrate Audiology event. If it's anything like the event was in Chicago, you'll be full for a week.

During Celebrate Audiology, experience famous districts of Boston and sample their signature foods all in one location! Enjoy clam chowda from the Waterfront then head to "where everybody knows your name," at the Cheers bar. Continue on to experience the neighborhoods from Chinatown to North End Little Italy. Don't forget to visit the green monster from Fenway Park. Join us to Celebrate Audiology and the best that Boston has to offer!

Members don't see this ad :)
already booked a room at 40 Berkeley Hostel. anybody else staying there? it was the cheapest deal in town, close to the convention center, hopefully not scary. :)

That is in the South End, an area that has undergone a big change in the last 20 years -- more trendy, more happenin'. It doesn't sound like the place itself is scary, but just south of there, is a little scary, so maybe take a cab home at night.

ill be there for AAA as well =) would love to meet with people during the conference and of course during the parties ;)

Glowing neon necklaces! Rave it up.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

I'll see ya guys there!

Anyone interested in switching volunteer time slots? Im friday from 1-5.....looking for saturday

I was talking with our Siemens Rep at our Midsouth Conference this week and he told me their party is also going to be Thursday night at FENWAY PARK! They've rented out the whole facility and are going to be having tours and food and various other things. He told me it is invite only and gave me a contact to get an invite. Once I get that information verified I will let everyone know for sure the rest of the details. Not sure who else is a baseball fan but that should be a pretty awesome experience.

I was talking with our Siemens Rep at our Midsouth Conference this week and he told me their party is also going to be Thursday night at FENWAY PARK! They've rented out the whole facility and are going to be having tours and food and various other things. He told me it is invite only and gave me a contact to get an invite. Once I get that information verified I will let everyone know for sure the rest of the details. Not sure who else is a baseball fan but that should be a pretty awesome experience.

I got invited to that

I also heard third eye blind will be playing at the oticon party :love:

Through my travels I have found that hostels are a great/cheap alternative to hotels, even here in the US. For one year's AN! I found a hostel for $50/night with a room to my self and a DIY waffle breakfast in the morning. While my classmates and friends were doubling or tripling up in a hotel room, I was enjoying my way cheaper nights on a nice bunk bed and free waffles. I even had some of my friends stay over in the bunk bed one night because the hostel was a closer walk than the student hotel.

I'm not saying that Boston's hostels are just as cheap, but it's worth a look anyway. You've just got to find the right ones with the best reviews. I usually use hostelworld.com.

As students with limited financial resources, we must find ways to survive....or at least get to AN! :)

Dusty, could you please make a sticky with the party list?

It's hard to sort through party posts and non-party posts. And I'm lazy. :)

Did anyone get an invitation to the Oticon Rock Party?

Otherwise- I am staying at a student hotel but getting there early and plan on sight seeing the city- any suggestions??

This is for the ADA party:

ADA fellow, associate and student members and all Au.D. students are invited
to the ADA Student Reception at AudiologyNOW! Thursday, March 29, 2012,
Alcott Room, Westin Boston Waterfront Hotel, 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Meet up
with fellow students and the audiologists who are shaping the future of
autonomous practice and learn about ADA's incredible Virtual Student
Chapter. Enjoy beer/wine, soft drinks and food, and pick up your student
scholarship application for the ADA annual convention. Please visit
http://www.audiologist.org/students.html for more information.

here's another party:

Rexton/Esco - Friday March 30th 6:30 to 10:00 pm. House of Blues, 15 Lansdowne St, Boston, MA 02215

Phonak rep told me they are also having a reception around the same time on Friday. I think she said it's gonna be at the top of the Prudential Tower, but I can't remember exactly. In any case it will be somewhere with a view.

Does anybody know what Starkey is doing?

Phonak 2012 AudiologyNow! Reception & Party

Friday, March 30th, 2012
6pm - 9pm

Top of the Hub Restaurant & Skywalk Observatory
52nd Floor, Prudential Tower
800 Boylston Street

Shuttle service will be provided to and from all convention hotels (except the Sheraton Boston and Marriott Copley Place which are within walking distance to Prudential Building). Buses will begin running from each hotel at 5:30 PM and will be clearly marked "PHONAK."

Thanks! Where are you getting all this information, Cidanu?

.Hello Dusty. Thanks for the email. Unfortunately students were not invited this year to the Siemens event at Fenway and the event is also completely sold out. I appreciate your interest and want to remind you that there are several other events happening Friday evening that you could attend.

.Best Regards, .
.Siemens Guy..
-------------------------------
.Boo. I know which parties I WON'T be going to Friday night. :/ . Sorry cmc, I put forth a valiant effort.

Wow...WTG Siemens. Missing the boat on that one. Don't they know that the children are our future?

my clinical supervisors passed the info down.

I hope everyone enjoys AAA and Boston! I wish I was able to attend this year. I would highly recommend the Phonak party simply because the views in the tower are AMAZING! Safe travels everyone!

I wish I was able to make it to Boston as it is so close to me, but unfortunately I'll have to settle for hot and relaxing Costa Rica :D

For all the first timers, see Dusty for the run down of the daily events :thumbup:

.Hello Dusty. Thanks for the email. Unfortunately students were not invited this year to the Siemens event at Fenway and the event is also completely sold out. I appreciate your interest and want to remind you that there are several other events happening Friday evening that you could attend.

.Best Regards, .
.Siemens Guy..
-------------------------------
.Boo. I know which parties I WON'T be going to Friday night. :/ . Sorry cmc, I put forth a valiant effort.

"want to remind you that there are several other events happening Friday evening that you could attend" Ah Siemens guy, you forget that this would have endeared you in our hearts. Missed opportunities for them. We'll get over it... Some day

Bekah, I'll have to attend that. I'll be thinking of you guys in Hearing Conservation while I'm there.

Al, you will be missed though I don't blame you for going to Costa Rica. It wouldn't surprise me if you're departure opened up my volunteer spot. There weren't many. Thanks for that, but next time you tell people that I'm the goto person for events/schedule, I'm posting your cell # on this forum. :D

Caleb, I'll get over it if I find free Wrigley Field dugout tickets in my mailbox upon returning home. Seriously, I would have considered dispensing dog poo if they opened that party for students (if that were their product).

2hdtssw.jpg

For anyone who hasn't seen this sign. Rumor is it's tonight, and you probably have to visit the booth to get your "VIP Pass".

Last edited:
I'm sure it would go over swimmingly.

Hope you guys are having fun! Maybe I'll get to meet some of you next year when I come with LSU!! :)

Sorry for the poor quality. I have better pics on the camera. When I have some spare time to breathe, I'll upload a few more.

21c39k.jpg

rEliseMe, Mrs. Dustbug10, Dustbug10, & cmc271 at The Last Hurrah. This must have been before the 'blue dress'? :D

Nice! I barely even saw you Dustbug. Hope you're feeling better though!