The Commonwealth Medical College vs. Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurntFlower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My background: URM, economically disadvantaged, l will take new MCAT next year, cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.05 (low GPA because of terrible event that happened during my first semester), GRE 306+.
I'm sorry if "versus threads" are frowned upon, but I'm seriously torn over both of these schools. I have read past topics, and it hasn't made this upcoming decision any easier. Both of these schools are great, so if anyone can provide further insight, it will help me immensely. I only have 5 days to decide.

The Commonwealth Medical College
Pros:
-Students are required to take a large variety of classes (Biochemistry, Genetics, Immunology, etc.)
-Provides an MCAT course during the summer.
-When I went to visit the school for my interview, I loved the facilities, how happy the students seemed, how helpful the professors were, and above all, the TCMC mission resonated strongly with me. My interviewer said that TCMC needed more students like me, and I feel I can do well here.
-Students get to do community health research on a topic they are passionate about.
-Smaller class size (around 65-75 students).
-The program is only 1 year.

Cons:
-Lesser known school.
-60% of the students that graduated got accepted into a medical/dental school. This isn't an extremely large con for me because this is largely dependent on the strengths of each individual student, but I still want to mention this.

Case Western Reserve
Pros:
-Has a top-notch physiology department...and I really like physiology.
-Students can choose to do a concentration in nephrology, bioethics, clinical investigation, clinical neuroscience, evolutionary medicine, nutrition, physiological research.
-Bigger school recognition.
-Very affordable area to live in.
-Professors have impressive credentials and students I talked to said that most of them are great.
-The school is surrounded by hospitals and clinics. There are MANY opportunities to do research, shadow a physician, and clinical volunteering.
-The school has a relatively good track record of getting students into medical school: http://physiology.case.edu/educatio...-ms-in-medical-physiology/msmp-our-successes/
-Each student gets a career and academic advisor. Furthermore, students will get help with mock interviews and practicing different interview styles.
-At the end of the first year, students take the National Board of Medical Examiners’ subject exam in Physiology and Neurophysiology.

Cons:
-More expensive tuition.
-Less variety of classes (you have 12 credits of electives, but most of the curriculum is physiology courses). I'm not sure how medical schools will view this.
-I did not get the chance to visit the school and get a "feel" for it.
-Bigger class size (around 100-120 students).
-Professors strongly stress to do the program in 1.5 to 2 years. This is not THAT big of a con for me, but it's still something worth considering since I'm a non-trad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
when exactly do you plan to take the mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why arn't you doing the urm programs like Georgetown gems et al?

Why arn't you doing the urm programs like Georgetown gems et al?
Georgwtown GEMS requires Biochemistry, which I haven't taken. The UC postbaccs are limited to California residents and the Drexel postbacc has had mixed reviews.

So...does anyone have any input between the Commonwealth Medical College and CWRU? I have until tomorrow to decide.

I AM IN THE EXACT SAME BOAT. IDK WHAT TO DO.

Georgwtown GEMS requires Biochemistry, which I haven't taken. The UC postbaccs are limited to California residents and the Drexel postbacc has had mixed reviews.

So...does anyone have any input between the Commonwealth Medical College and CWRU? I have until tomorrow to decide.
What did you decide?