The "difficult experimental" BS passages the real MCAT is now using

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plutonian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's no doubt they have upped the difficulty of the BS passages this year. While they may partly still resemble a select few passages from the AAMC practice tests, the general consensus is that they are changing.

For those of you who know what I'm talking about, what do you think is the best way to study for those and is there anything out there that resembles these passages (TBR or TPR?). I've heard people say it's turning more into reading comprehension and I partly agree with that but to me it feels like it's no ordinary reading comprehension but rather one that requires you to be at the level of someone who is comfortable reading a science journal. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Just content wise, I think Ek 1001 is quite a lot of reading and content. If you want something challenging, you could read articles on pubmed about different things (maybe like a little of polymer science, a little of hemodynamics etc etc... avoid review articles cuz they are generally easier to read) and then understand them. Didn't use TBR or TPR so idk, but I've heard TPR is pretty good. But ya, you've gotta be ready for something you've never read/seen before but is very remotely related to something you have studied for the mcat.

I do think that a physician should be able to read/write articles efficiently, but idk about pre-meds... they still have like 10 years before becoming a doctor. I guess it's just another way to differentiate between premeds

There's no doubt they have upped the difficulty of the BS passages this year. While they may partly still resemble a select few passages from the AAMC practice tests, the general consensus is that they are changing.

For those of you who know what I'm talking about, what do you think is the best way to study for those and is there anything out there that resembles these passages (TBR or TPR?). I've heard people say it's turning more into reading comprehension and I partly agree with that but to me it feels like it's no ordinary reading comprehension but rather one that requires you to be at the level of someone who is comfortable reading a science journal. Any thoughts?

I was wondering the same thing. Everyone's been talking about how shocked they were when they saw the bio passages on recent tests...

Members don't see this ad :)
guys i was JUST about to make the exact same thread. I am about to purchase review books mostly focusing on bio and verbal. But i need to knw wht to buy. SO will it be TPR, TBR or Kaplan for review of bio and verbal? And when thinking of bio, i mean the heavily experimental nonsense they r throwing at us.

The BS section is definitely more human biology related more than anything. Regular Bio 1 and 2 are in no way sufficient to take the test. If you haven't taken a class in microbiology and/or cell and molecular biology (preferrably both), you are going to be behind the curve. Also, taking Anatomy and Physiology couldn't hurt.

I don't think that the BS section was extremely difficult, it just requires having taken more advanced bio classes beyond regular bio 1 & 2. Know your cell science and know your way around the human body and you should be ok.

What was BS like before the change?

The exact same. Seriously, trawl the SDN archives, you'll find people complaining about the "new BS" even back in 2003. For whatever reason SDN apparently forgets and then remembers that BS is about critical thinking, not memorization, every year.

Don't believe me?

http://forums.sdn.net/showthread.php?p=664158

How do the recent ones relate to say, AAMC 11? Harder?

The same. All the passages were experimental, most were about on par with (if not slightly easier than) the ebola passage in AAMC 11 although none of them took me as long as ebola did to solve.

Anyway, if you want to prepare for experimental BS, just make sure you can do the following:

- Understand the rationale of experiments (why a researcher chose his particular methodology, why he studied what he did, why he looked at the variables he looked at)
- Understand simple graphs and figures. You should be able to read a line graph, scatterplot, histogram, and data table with ease. And by "read" I mean you can look at it and know what the results of the experiment were and what conclusions can be made without referring to the passage.
- Be able to take results and translate them into conclusions.

The questions themselves are just testing the stuff you studied, albeit in an indirect way that tests multiple concepts at once. For example:

- Part of a passage may detail an experiment in which an experimenter isolated a mutant protein and ran it on an electrophoresis gel along with the wildtype protein. He found that the mutant protein traveled twice as far as the wildtype protein. A question might then ask you what kind of gene mutation most likely caused the altered protein, to which the answer would be "nonsense mutation". Essentially all this question was asking was "what kind of mutation creates a shorter version of a protein?"

- A passage may talk about the effects of a peptide hormone Y (let's say it causes a cell to release another substance, hormone X), and then talk about how during an experiment an experimenter administered a receptor antagonist in vitro. It will then give you a graph showing hormone X vs hormone Y concentrations with two lines, one for the control condition and another for the antagonist condition. The graph shows that for the control condition the line increases linearly and then hits an asymptote. Meanwhile the antagonist condition shows that the line increases linearly for a fraction of the time as the control group and then hits an asymptote at a level of hormone Y 1/5th that of the control group. The passage might then ask what kind of antagonist was used, to which the correct answer would be "allosteric inhibitor". All this question was asking was "what kind of inhibitor can't be overcome with increased substrate concentration?"

If you want materials to practice with, the Kaplan section tests and TPRH science workbook are your best bets. The Official Guide to the MCAT also has 6 passages which are exactly like what you'll see on the real exam, but you only get 6 of them. Personally I thought the AAMCs were good practice for this too, but apparently I'm the only person on this site who thinks that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info.....

I'm just deciding between TBR and TPRH Science for Bio these next few days. I've done a lot of TBR but still got like ~30% of the passages left. Mostly molecular and cell bio. Should I focus on that if it's more experimental now?

Hmm I got only 4 questions wrong on AAMC 10 Bio....hope that's a good sign >_<

thanks for the info.....

I'm just deciding between TBR and TPRH Science for Bio these next few days. I've done a lot of TBR but still got like ~30% of the passages left. Mostly molecular and cell bio. Should I focus on that if it's more experimental now?

Hmm I got only 4 questions wrong on AAMC 10 Bio....hope that's a good sign >_<

Between TBR and TPRH Science I would recommend TBR. I used both and I found TBR to be more helpful. Also, the experimental passages in bio will probably be some sort of molecular/genetics type question, so all the molecular genetics passages in the TBR bio books will be great practice! If you've taken AAMC 11, take an extra look at the ebola passage. It's very representative of the sort of passage you'd expect to see if they present you with some sort of bio experiment.

The one thing I didn't like about TPRH science workbook is that they didn't group the passages by topic. With TBR, all the molecular genetics passages are grouped together.

Out from pre-reqs for 5+ years. Zero studying for the BS section and still score a 10.

I believe it. Alot of people don't understand that success in the Bio section relies on your ability to comprehend and analyze the passage. Background knowledge is required for the discretes and is helpful for the passages but if you can't read the passages and analyze them properly then you're just not going to do well. Bio should be treated like the verbal section but with supplemental review of some bio topics.

My Bio section (August 3) was nothing like the AAMC sections. Very specific knowledge was required to begin a lot of problem solving. It was more like a VR section but without concrete information in the passage to base your decisions on. I did well on my VR (lowest score on AAMC has been 11). I'm worried about the Bio section though.

That being said, the folks that took the next week's tests thought their Bio sections were pretty easy and PS was super hard. MY PS was easier than any AAMC I have taken. I hope you have better luck than I did. I had a dream 2 nights ago where I saw I had made a 37 God, waking up SUCKED!

GL

I believe it. Alot of people don't understand that success in the Bio section relies on your ability to comprehend and analyze the passage. Background knowledge is required for the discretes and is helpful for the passages but if you can't read the passages and analyze them properly then you're just not going to do well. Bio should be treated like the verbal section but with supplemental review of some bio topics.

Yeah, totally, that makes a lot of sense. The background is helpful on the discretes and good reading for the complex passages.

I have not taken the real deal yet, but have just finished AAMC 10 and 11. The TPRH science workbook passages are MUCH better than the BR passages in terms of reflecting the experimental and critical thinking of the later AAMCs. I wish I had known this sooner as I will only have 30-40 passages under my belt by test time instead of all 80+ from the TPRH SW. There are lots of good experimental passages and some very tough ones (significantly harder than ebola on AAMC 11). Honestly, I can't imagine any passages would be tougher than the toughest advanced TPRH SW passages, but testing conditions can amplify difficulty.

I'd say ditch BR bio altogether and use EK or TPR for content with TPRH SW for passages (87) and discretes (146). If the TPRH SW passages are too hard at the beginning use EK 1001 to build your base with the EK 30 min exams then move to the SW.

Would you guys think re-doing some TPRHL bio passages would be a good idea? I have done all TPRHL bio passages but some of them, I did like 2 months ago and now I don't have a clue what the answers were. I don't really have much other Bio practice passages other than what's left of my TBR passages (around 50).

Does anyone recommend using the Kaplan Full Length Biological Science sections? I have exhausted the Kaplan BS sectional tests and do not have TPRH. I do have TBR, but I feel like their passages aren't very good.