The end of facility fees for outpatient care in CO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
House Bill 23-1215 would prohibit facility fees if the care is provided via telemedicine, or in a clinic that’s owned by a hospital but not located on its campus. It also would ban facility fees for procedures that can be performed safely somewhere other than a hospital”

This feels a little like they are removing 1 Jenga piece too many and are going to be surprised at the stuff that comes crashing down…

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
House Bill 23-1215 would prohibit facility fees if the care is provided via telemedicine, or in a clinic that’s owned by a hospital but not located on its campus. It also would ban facility fees for procedures that can be performed safely somewhere other than a hospital”

This feels a little like they are removing 1 Jenga piece too many and are going to be surprised at the stuff that comes crashing down…

The "juicing the Vig on the SOS" coming to an end. I look forward to seeing how hospitals operate on a real cash-on-cash business model. It was always unethical for physicians to participate in these scams and it still is.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How much do you want to bet they would still only pay you the in-hospital professional fee though?

Reactions: 2 users
If we operated in a truly free market this would be good, but I worry that this may tip the balance of power further in favor of the insurance companies which already have been given a huge advantage with recent the federal out of network billing legislation. If they really wanted to lower prices they should incentivize private practice by cutting regulations and adjusting payments upwards for outpatient care/procedures. We know that will never happen. In reality, the insurance companies will simply pay less and pocket the difference as executive bonuses or use the profits to further lobby and cement their gain in power.

Reactions: 3 users
Feel bad for all the PP pain docs in Colorado who just invested in building an ASC. Don't think it'll pass but I can't imagine anything but bankruptcy for them

Alot of pain docs already have both office procedure suite and shares in an ASC and just take patients to wherever pays best.

The PP pain docs will likely get new patients from the newly private off campus PCP offices that can now refer to whatever pain doc is best for their patients.

My guess there will be an increase in ASCs being built and bought by hospital and PP pain docs in partnerships as the hospitals want to keep at least part of the pie.

Honestly this is not going to lead to hospital administration lowering their own bonuses. They will use this as an excuse to pay hardworking doctors less, because their labor is suddenly worth less. And if noncompetes are still being enforced, those doctors will have to sit there and take it.

Honestly this is not going to lead to hospital administration lowering their own bonuses. They will use this as an excuse to pay hardworking doctors less, because their labor is suddenly worth less. And if noncompetes are still being enforced, those doctors will have to sit there and take it.
Or have better noncompetes

I can’t lie this would be a huge benefit to me if it happened everywhere. I used to have 50 referring practices. They have all been absorbed by the hospital motherships over the last decade.

Reactions: 2 users
I gather those getting bought by PE have essentially seen this possibility coming.

Feel bad for all the PP pain docs in Colorado who just invested in building an ASC. Don't think it'll pass but I can't imagine anything but bankruptcy for them

What’s the legislation?

Or the hospitals will replace physicians almost completely… like the recent articles describing NPs replacements in the ERs. And readmission complications rates associated with mid levels .

Reactions: 1 user