**The Essentials You Need at your apartment in Dental School for [D1]**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zEkii

Good Vibes
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Since Dental School season is right around the corner(for D1), I thought it was fit to have a fun thread about the essentials that were needed for a dental student.

The main goal of this thread is for other dental students/dentists to have their input about what they had in their room! Of course, the MAIN essentials are: a mattress, desk, chair and a bookcase. But what about the things we don't really consider until students have reached their 2nd year of dental school.

Pictures:
If you have a picture of your room and for other students to take some ideas away, that would be helpful as well!

Please post and make your wish list! This will help advance and better prepare students for their upcoming year!

I'll start it of:
  • One thing on my list that I will get for dental school is a Cappuccino maker machine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Incoming D1:

Before grad school, I bought myself a nice mattress. It really helped me to feel more refreshed in the morning because the quality of my sleep drastically improved. It's a memory foam mattress with 2 (yes, 2) memory foam toppers on top. Absolutely glorious <3

I also just got myself a new desk chair and I was going for a similar thought (comfort > all), but it's no where near as comfortable as I'd like. Did some reading online and found ones that people recommend but they are all like $350+. There's NO way I'm spending that much on a chair. Not quite sure if I'm going to suck it up and continue to use it or if I will splurge on a better one. I get back pain just by being alive, so I may have to.

Also just bought a pack of multi color disposable fountain pens. They are very comfortable to write with and make my otherwise horrific handwriting very neat.
I also bought a new whiteboard and several packs of markers with varying color and thickness for practicing things like pathways.

Lastly, my birthday was in May and I asked family members to get me gift cards to places like Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. so I can buy things when I eventually make it out to AZ.

Reactions: 5 users
For Incoming D1 Students on a laptop deal I just encountered.

Recently , my parents bought me a new macbook laptop and it came with free headphone BEATSsolo2 wireless ( costs about $300 ).

If you are in the realm of buying a new laptop, make sure to go to Apple and see their special deal on buying a new laptop and receiving new Beat headphones! The headphones can be helpful when reviewing videos for class, staying focus, cancelling out noise or just to enjoy and relax when you have the free time.

Just a heads up!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Recently , my parents bought me a new macbook laptop and it came with free headphone BEATSsolo2 wireless ( costs about $300 ).

If you are in the realm of buying a new laptop, make sure to go to Apple and see their special deal on buying a new laptop and receiving new Beat headphones! The headphones can be helpful when reviewing videos for class, staying focus, cancelling out noise or just to enjoy and relax when you have the free time.

Just a heads up!
Me too! The headphones are awesome.

I think it depends a lot on how old you are, and who you are living with (randos, other dental students, or your family)
It also depends on whether you are moving somewhere for 'school' and then leaving after the 4 years, thus never really considering it your 'home'.

For the latter, you'll need the basics: a good mattress, desk, chair, and basic cooking supplies such as plates, silverware, glasses, bowls, and at least one pot and frying pan.
To upgrade beyond that, add in a rice cooker, measuring cups and spoons, a baking pan, and perhaps a food processor or immersion stick blender.
To really live like a king, you'll need a Nintendo 3ds and a PS4. And a teapot and electric water boiler.

Reactions: 2 users

Just a heads up!

But then I would have to have own a Macbook.... :lame:

Reactions: 1 users
I have a huge baking sheet at home that I use for any lab work involving wax. It's really nice to be able to bring home some lab supplies and do some waxing in the comfort of your own home.

Reactions: 6 users

Just a heads up!

Beats are a rip-off. They cost like $14 dollars to make and are very poorly made...

Reactions: 6 users
I also got a travel coffee container. To Keep... you know.. coffee.

Just a heads up!
Also:

-Buy a Surface Pro 4 or a Surfacebook and get a free xbox one + a game + an extra controller from Microsoft.

-Sign up and make a student account with bestbuy (all it requires is an email with .edu) and get either an additional $100 off apple products, $150 off Surface Pro/Surfacebook, or $150 off most of their mid to highend laptops!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

A mattress shouldn't be very expensive, a folding mattress would be great as a temporary variant. I guess I will consider this review , seems like it is not commercial, and all the items are available on Amazon. Currently tend to Milliard Tri-Fold, as I appreciate memory foam much, I suffer from back pains sometimes and I can't tolerate any other material but memory foam only. It is also chemicals free, rather thick, folds and unfolds quickly and can boast with bamboo cover. In some cases folding mattress can be a high-grade sleeping place, so that I won't need to buy a particular bed. It is also very compact, and won't take much space. If I move, I can easily take it with me, it is good even for campings. The rest of stuff can be easily bought at Amazon/eBay/Olx, both used and new.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Computer monitor at home.

Laptops are nice and all but I feel the extra screen estate was helpful during the first two years.

Reactions: 4 users
Bose QC35 noise cancelling headphones. By far and away the best purchase I made during dental school.

I had a recliner with a tray to put my laptop on so I didn't have to sit and slouch at a desk all the time. also used a wireless mouse instead of the touchpad while at home. Also had a TV and a decent sound system I could hook my ipod to (yes, I said ipod).

I had a recliner with a tray to put my laptop on so I didn't have to sit and slouch at a desk all the time. also used a wireless mouse instead of the touchpad while at home. Also had a TV and a decent sound system I could hook my ipod to (yes, I said ipod).
Old people are adorable.
(In an obnoxiously loud voice) "It's spelled iPad!"

I have a huge baking sheet at home that I use for any lab work involving wax. It's really nice to be able to bring home some lab supplies and do some waxing in the comfort of your own home.
OMG, why did I never think of this? I just put down paper towel on my kitchen table and still got wax all over it. Good thing I was planning on sanding and re-staining it anyway.

I was told since Human Anatomy was during the first semester at my school, it was important to have an apartment with a washer and dryer in it. Apparently I’ll need to wash my scrubs immediately after lab each day.

The bookstand from Amazon to hold your textbook has saved a lot of strain in my neck when studying.
Amazon product

I was told since Human Anatomy was during the first semester at my school, it was important to have an apartment with a washer and dryer in it. Apparently I’ll need to wash my scrubs immediately after lab each day.
Why?

I would assume because one would want to get the stink of formaldehyde off your clothing. I would recommend sacrificing a few pair of scrubs and old sneakers and just change prior to and at the end of going to the cadaver lab. At the end of the course, you can just throw them all away...you'll never get the smell off your scrubs and don't really want to screw up your other clothes by washing them in the same washer/dryer as your nasty anatomy scrubs.

I would assume because one would want to get the stink of formaldehyde off your clothing. I would recommend sacrificing a few pair of scrubs and old sneakers and just change prior to and at the end of going to the cadaver lab. At the end of the course, you can just throw them all away...you'll never get the smell off your scrubs and don't really want to screw up your other clothes by washing them in the same washer/dryer as your nasty anatomy scrubs.
This. My school had lockers where we put our scrubs and we'd just change each day. Sacrificed one pair, but I never washed them ever. They've now gone to a better place....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I never had such a problem. You are not going to swim in formaldehyde, you know

They usually have some aprons or gloves to cover you. It’s not that bad.

Probably a bottle of whiskey and a box of tissues.

Reactions: 4 users
Get one of those foam rollers so you can roll your back out after a long day in sim lab.

Earplugs - because your sleep schedule is going to be super messed up, and you'll need to sleep mid-day with sirens and roommates sometimes.
Microwave - because you are not going to have time to cook proper meals all the time.
Frozen sausages - Or frozen whatever that can be used with aforementioned microwave.
Lock box - Cash, passport, whatever.

The much BETTER question: What do you NOT need in your apartment. The less the better, I can't quite put into words the ease that having less stuff brings me in dental school. You will have enough things to worry about. You don't need clothes (just underwear, socks, scrubs, shoes), you don't need furniture (except a bed), you don't need kitchen accessories (you need 1 fork, 1 knife, 1 pot, 1 cup), you don't need bathroom supplies (just TP, soap, razor, toothbrush, and Deo).

The less the better.

Earplugs - because your sleep schedule is going to be super messed up, and you'll need to sleep mid-day with sirens and roommates sometimes.
Microwave - because you are not going to have time to cook proper meals all the time.
Frozen sausages - Or frozen whatever that can be used with aforementioned microwave.

The much BETTER question: What do you NOT need in your apartment. The less the better, I can't quite put into words the ease that having less stuff brings me in dental school. You will have enough things to worry about. You don't need clothes (just underwear, socks, scrubs, shoes), you don't need furniture (except a bed), you don't need kitchen accessories (you need 1 fork, 1 knife, 1 pot, 1 cup), you don't need bathroom supplies (just TP, soap, razor, toothbrush, and Deo).

The less the better.

No spoon?

The less the better.
you're soo right about this. I tell my friends the same thing that all I'm bringing is a bed and a desk for my bedroom. And no sofa or any other furniture for the living room (it'll be an empty box but I really don't care unless roommate wants to bring something) and they laugh at me like I'm poor and crazy. thought I was the only one with this mindset.

Must haves:

A Sams or Costco membership. Way easier to buy and cook in bulk and cheaper
Coffee machine/bag of energy drinks
Gym membership---youll need it
Ipad and a decent computer.

And last but not least a therapist. Dental school in my opinion can be hell especially the first and third year.

Most importantly your're gonna need a support system be it friends, family, or significant other.

The less the better.

you're soo right about this. I tell my friends the same thing that all I'm bringing is a bed and a desk for my bedroom. And no sofa or any other furniture for the living room (it'll be an empty box but I really don't care unless roommate wants to bring something) and they laugh at me like I'm poor and crazy. thought I was the only one with this mindset.

I went to someone's apt that was like this. I dunno, its suppose to be your home for the next 4 years.

Not saying I have a leather couch or something or that I'm surrounded by bling. Literally everything I have is from amazon, even my mattress,my couch and the small dining table. Three years later, everything still works and nothing broke. The only thing I bought outside of amazon was my computer chair, since the comfort there was more important than my mattress lol.

The last 3 years were stressful and the last thing I wanted was to come home to a plastic desk in the middle of an empty room. That would have affected my mind too much.

I went to someone's apt that was like this. I dunno, its suppose to be your home for the next 4 years.

Not saying I have a leather couch or something or that I'm surrounded by bling. Literally everything I have is from amazon, even my mattress,my couch and the small dining table. Three years later, everything still works and nothing broke. The only thing I bought outside of amazon was my computer chair, since the comfort there was more important than my mattress lol.

The last 3 years were stressful and the last thing I wanted was to come home to a plastic desk in the middle of an empty room. That would have affected my mind too much.

I completely get what you're saying. The thing is that I don't know if it'll be my home for 4 years. what if my roommate and I fall out? What if the apt has problems and we have to switch units? what If I find a better deal on another apt later on? It just seems like a huge hassle to move all the stuff in case any of those scenarios happen

I used to think owning furniture was stupid when I spent all my time studying. Then I got a gf... so attractive to bring them back to your empty apartment

I used to think owning furniture was stupid when I spent all my time studying. Then I got a gf... so attractive to bring them back to your empty apartment

Yeah I felt the same way until I moved in with my SO! I still think it’s stupid to own really expensive furniture, and am always shocked by the price tag on anything remotely nice that’s brand-new, but I totally underestimated how much better it is to live somewhere that’s designed for you to spend time there.

Yeah I felt the same way until I moved in with my SO! I still think it’s stupid to own really expensive furniture, and am always shocked by the price tag on anything remotely nice that’s brand-new, but I totally underestimated how much better it is to live somewhere that’s designed for you to spend time there.

Mentally it’s more comforting to come home and not come to a place you live. There’s a difference. You can reasonably furnish a small apt for 1-2k which is just a drop in the bucket!

Last edited:
Mentally it’s more comforting to come home and not come to a place you live. There’s a difference. You can reasonably furnish a small apt for 1-2k which is just a drop in the bucket!

yea I did about 2k,including a TV too.

Things I do at home:

Bathe
Sleep
Eat
sometimes on a weekend I'll play some games or watch a few TV shows.

I spend 80-90% of my waking life at school. I'm a morning guy so I get up at 4:30, and get ready and am usually at school by 5. Study till classes start, take classes, 5pm I do some lab work extra or head to the gym. Back to school to study a bit more or head Home around 8ish and have dinner, watch a show and browse Reddit then head to bed by 9-10.

Get things that are conducive to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users