The frustration of starting and stopping training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I finish up here in Wichita (2 weeks left), I have to jump through ridiculous hoops in order to graduate and get my last paycheck. These hoops include going to the library of the hospitals (x3), med school, and VA to get signatures saying there are no overdue books, signatures from 30 other people, etc.

Worse than that is the actual frustration of changing locations.....I don't want to ever sell a house again, and moving trucks are suddenly ridiculously expensive....

However, the greatest comedy comes in the hoops I have to jump through to be a fellow in Texas. I feel sorry for anyone who has already gone through this. I can't describe the mountains of paperwork I've filled out, and the number of different orientations I'm required to attend or do online.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you share my frustration. I started this thread to post a screen shot of what I feel is a metaphor for the run-around/cluster-F that I'm experiencing. It occurred during my mandatory online orientation on sexual harassment.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Orientation.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 242
I'm still pre-med but I had to sit through some of this same crap when I got a job at a hospital. Good to know it only gets worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Painful. Had to do a similar circuit at the end of residency. Took a full day of going from one office to another to get signatures. Look at the bright side -- you're almost free. And fellowship should be a good time. Texas is a real bitch for licensing, but it's a good state for practice. And you'll have access to fantastic Tex-Mex.

Don't forget the mountain of paperwork to start residency. I think I've filled out 30 different forms for my department, for human resources, for the FBI... endless. Drug tests, background checks, fingerprinting.... then all the billion things I had to send the medical examiners office for my permit. It's even more fun for next year for applying for the license as Louisiana requires two character assessments from people who know you saying you're moral enough to be a doctor. Awesome.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was about the pain of taking a break from clinical training to go into the lab, spend 2 years doing something completely different than what you were doing, and then readjusting back to clinical practice again.

There is a ton of paperwork just to work as a researcher. IRB and IACUC forms are painful. I had to do more training for animal research than what I had for care of human patients.

It seems paperwork is unavoidable no matter what you do in medicine.

I am Trauma Chief overnight, in house until 0700 tomorrow.

Then I'm done.....with residency altogether.

It's an interesting feeling.

Well, I've changed my status, so it's SDN official.

:thumbup:

Wild. I still remember when you had PGY-3 as your user text.

I remember Panda Bear going from med student all the way to end of residency (he's an EM attending x 2 years now, but he's gone AWOL).

Congrats SLUser!

You and I started internship at the same time....doesn't seem all that long ago does it? Can't wait til I'm in your shoes a year from now.

Good luck with fellowship!