The future of optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some members of this forum (most notably drgregory and posner), have made it a personal mission to keep future optometrists from entering the realms of commercial optometry, no matter what the sacrifice. I for one agree with them for the most part; I believe that all health professions should be self-employed, as this gives them the respect they deserve from the general public.

However, opening up cold turkey is easier said than done; a fresh optometrist is riddled with debt, and it is extremely tempting for them to join up with a franchise. I can't blame them, since I would probably do the same (temporarily). Unfortunately, this is where the trouble starts...

If the majority of newly minted optometrists decide to sign up with Walmart and Lenscrafters (which they probably will), it will creates a "seller's market"; the chain stores will be free to lower the cost of the services of the optometrists, since there will be 10 optometrists lined up to replace every 1 that quits. This is due to the (alleged) oversupply of emerging optometrists. The drop of service costs will probably cause the optometrist's salary to fall as well.

As the costs of the services goes down, the majority of private practices might get squeezed out of existance. Eventually, most (if not all) optometrists will end up in commercial practices. Should this happen, optometrists will be looked upon at the same level as the guy behind the counter at one-hour-photo, even though some will continue to provide stellar services. :(

Anyone care to comment?

Members don't see this ad.

Coming from the view of a future optometry student and current retail employee at a commercial practice (with no intention of ever working as an optometrist in one I might add), I am left wondering what I should do about the future of optometry. I had heard (and am more aware after joining
this forum) about problems in optometry such as oversupply of doctors and commercialization of the field. However, I decided to go into optometry because of the great encouragements from several private practice optometrists I have talked to and known over the past few years. They have all been very happy with their careers (one did start out in commercial practice) and see their outlook as promising. I also know a few commercial doctors who are very satisfied but that is another post...

To get to my point, we are all very aware of the problems with optometry as it seems to be a constant hot topic in this forum. However, what are we doing or what can we do to remedy or reduce these problems? Even if we all take a vow to never enter private practice when we graduate, I don't think that is the only source of the problems (plus it is unrealistic). Certainly we can't expect any optometric-hopefuls to turn down acceptance to optometry schools in protest to the increasing number of doctors in the field. We can all talk about the problems (which isn't necessarily all bad...) But does anyone have any suggestions for anything that we (future students, current students, or practicing optometrists) can do to positively impact the future of our profession?

hye35: sorry this wasn't really a comment about your post, but it just got me thinking...

Coming from the view of a future optometry student and current retail employee at a commercial practice (with no intention of ever working as an optometrist in one I might add), I am left wondering what I should do about the future of optometry. I had heard (and am more aware after joining
this forum) about problems in optometry such as oversupply of doctors and commercialization of the field. However, I decided to go into optometry because of the great encouragements from several private practice optometrists I have talked to and known over the past few years. They have all been very happy with their careers (one did start out in commercial practice) and see their outlook as promising. I also know a few commercial doctors who are very satisfied but that is another post...

To get to my point, we are all very aware of the problems with optometry as it seems to be a constant hot topic in this forum. However, what are we doing or what can we do to remedy or reduce these problems? Even if we all take a vow to never enter private practice when we graduate, I don't think that is the only source of the problems (plus it is unrealistic). Certainly we can't expect any optometric-hopefuls to turn down acceptance to optometry schools in protest to the increasing number of doctors in the field. We can all talk about the problems (which isn't necessarily all bad...) But does anyone have any suggestions for anything that we (future students, current students, or practicing optometrists) can do to positively impact the future of our profession?

hye35: sorry this wasn't really a comment about your post, but it just got me thinking...

Actually, I appreciate your input. I also believe that talking about it is not good by itself; however, it is a good start.

Members don't see this ad :)

It’s time for me to chime in again! As I have said many times and will continually say, you all need to become active in your local optometric associations. If you’re a student become active in the student association and have the AOSA call attention to your concerns to the AOA.

As many of you have probably read, many ODs are disappointed with the way AOA has addressed areas such as the over supply of ODs, and the opening of additional OD schools. I believe that the only way things will change is if you get a change in the AOA leadership. Again how is this done? Get active and even consider becoming an AOA officer when after you graduate.

Hi, I'm pre-opt myself in the process of applying, but I'm been having my doubts/concerns over the future of optometry. You hit it right on the head in your post and was wondering if you could talk more about the optometrists that are happier in their commercial jobs? And I was wondering if you ended up becoming an optometrist? And if your concerns were reason enought to deter you from optometry and why? Thanks!!

Hi, I'm pre-opt myself in the process of applying, but I'm been having my doubts/concerns over the future of optometry. You hit it right on the head in your post and was wondering if you could talk more about the optometrists that are happier in their commercial jobs? And I was wondering if you ended up becoming an optometrist? And if your concerns were reason enought to deter you from optometry and why? Thanks!!

Wow shocked an old thread back to life. The interesting thing is that I believe the concerns of this 4 year old thread are even worse now.

Well I know I'm worried, just because I've only seen the positive sides of what admissions ppl told me before, and didn't really have much of a clue about the more serious issues until reading these postings. Even when shadowing, most optometrists seemed happy or maybe just didn't want to be a downer and be completely frank. What I want to know is, knowing what you do now, would you choose optometry/tell your 23 year-old daughter to go for optometry in today's economy? Why? What would you choose instead?
Also, what do you see the future of optometry being (job outlook, types of jobs available, salary, job satisfaction, and abililty to work stable hrs). What other advice/comments would you tell your daughter if she were in my position?

Well I know I'm worried, just because I've only seen the positive sides of what admissions ppl told me before, and didn't really have much of a clue about the more serious issues until reading these postings. Even when shadowing, most optometrists seemed happy or maybe just didn't want to be a downer and be completely frank. What I want to know is, knowing what you do now, would you choose optometry/tell your 23 year-old daughter to go for optometry in today's economy? Why? What would you choose instead?
Also, what do you see the future of optometry being (job outlook, types of jobs available, salary, job satisfaction, and abililty to work stable hrs). What other advice/comments would you tell your daughter if she were in my position?

I believe that is the more important question: Would you advise your child to pursue Optometry? Quite honestly (and it hurts) but I could not see myself advising my child to pursue Optometry. With the amount of student debt to income ratio, virtual end of good profits from contacts/glasses sales, medical insurance panels, etc.....better to look elsewhere in the medical fields.

But to be fair, the entire medical profession is facing their own battles. EVERY field has their issues. Ask the oMDs how much their starting offers are, how much their malpractice has increased etc.

Not sure what the answer is, and for now Optometry is hanging in there with the blows of fate but looking at the future I would advise my child to look elsewhere for a career. :eek:

Your status says you live in California, so I'm presuming your daughter plans on trying to get a job their. To be honest, you may want to reconsider suggesting she goes to optometry school. Just keep browsing through these forums and I doubt you find any encouraging information about the job market in California with respect to optometry. Sorry.

guys, why the heck are their more schools being opened if optometry is so bad?

its freaking hilarious.

its freaking hilarious.

Medicine & healthcare are big business. And sadly, big business and the current administration at these schools do not have the students best interest in mind.

Buddy of mine is making good money as an assistant to an Ophthalmologist Lasik doing surgery.

I was pretty surprised by this opportunity, didn't even know that kind of option existed.

Makes me think Optometry may have more options that one would imagine.

Regards,

Mike

Buddy of mine is making good money as an assistant to an Ophthalmologist Lasik doing surgery.

I was pretty surprised by this opportunity, didn't even know that kind of option existed.

Makes me think Optometry may have more options that one would imagine.

Regards,

Mike

Jobs like that are just what they are: jobs. And short lived as well, depending on how the demand curve & economy are. As a career, a LASIK assistant is not the way to go.

its freaking hilarious.

Hmm, we will see how "freaking hilarious" you think it is when you are out here trying to pay the bills and make a living. I have a four-year-old practice that I started cold and there are months I am still worried I won't be able to pay all the bills. Professional schools, all of them, make a lot of money. The rise of tuition far out paces the rate of inflation, it is a good return on investment. The schools are not concerned about you once you get out, other than to keep sending alumni propaganda asking for even more money than you have already given them.
Put it this way, I am so concerned about the future of our profession that I am taking the MCAT next Friday in hopes to enter medical school in the fall of 2011. I just don't see a positive future in optometry, hope I'm wrong, but things do not look good.

Hmm, we will see how "freaking hilarious" you think it is when you are out here trying to pay the bills and make a living. I have a four-year-old practice that I started cold and there are months I am still worried I won't be able to pay all the bills. Professional schools, all of them, make a lot of money. The rise of tuition far out paces the rate of inflation, it is a good return on investment. The schools are not concerned about you once you get out, other than to keep sending alumni propaganda asking for even more money than you have already given them.
Put it this way, I am so concerned about the future of our profession that I am taking the MCAT next Friday in hopes to enter medical school in the fall of 2011. I just don't see a positive future in optometry, hope I'm wrong, but things do not look good.

So, you finished four years of optometry school, started a practice, found you're not making as much money as you'd like, and have decided to now spend four more years in school and end up that much further in debt?

why did you start your own practice? perhaps you should sell it and just work as an associate, maybe then you could actually pay your bills (no staff fees, equipment fees or land fees etc.)

So, you finished four years of optometry school, started a practice, found you're not making as much money as you'd like, and have decided to now spend four more years in school and end up that much further in debt?

No, if money was the only factor in my decision to go back to school, medicine would definitely not be my first choice. There are other avenues I could pursue that would pay much more with less time and effort.

For me it is much more about loving what I do and getting excited to go into work and my quality of life. I just can't see myself doing this for another 30 years. I love the medical/patient care side, despise the retail side. Unfortunately as an optometrist the greater part of our income is derived from the optical. Now, I could go work for an ophthalmologist,however this has its own pitfalls and what I am able to do with my current licensure does not change. The end result is going to be the same, refer, or in this case let the MD take over the patient care to do the really exciting work.

I am not putting anyone down for choosing optom, it was not the right decision for me. I have several friends from school who are quite happy doing what they are doing and they range from working for an MD to working commercial. One of my closest friends went to optometry school with the sole intention of working commercial. He makes a TON of money doing it; I get nauseated at the idea. Yes, the additional debt will be heavy at first, but in the end it makes sense for me.

why did you start your own practice? perhaps you should sell it and just work as an associate, maybe then you could actually pay your bills (no staff fees, equipment fees or land fees etc.)

First of all, how does that make any economic sense what so ever? How would I sell the practice to someone that would then employ me when the practice is just barely profitable? Would you pay $250000 for a practice that you would be lucky to break even after you paid the doc for his services? I don't think so.

Second, it is more about me not being happy with what optometry has to offer as a profession. As I stated earlier, it was not the right choice for me. Just know what you want to do, where you would like to do it, and who dictates how you are going to do it.

No, if money was the only factor in my decision to go back to school, medicine would definitely not be my first choice. There are other avenues I could pursue that would pay much more with less time and effort.

For me it is much more about loving what I do and getting excited to go into work and my quality of life. I just can't see myself doing this for another 30 years. I love the medical/patient care side, despise the retail side. Unfortunately as an optometrist the greater part of our income is derived from the optical. Now, I could go work for an ophthalmologist,however this has its own pitfalls and what I am able to do with my current licensure does not change. The end result is going to be the same, refer, or in this case let the MD take over the patient care to do the really exciting work.

I am not putting anyone down for choosing optom, it was not the right decision for me. I have several friends from school who are quite happy doing what they are doing and they range from working for an MD to working commercial. One of my closest friends went to optometry school with the sole intention of working commercial. He makes a TON of money doing it; I get nauseated at the idea. Yes, the additional debt will be heavy at first, but in the end it makes sense for me.

All right, well, good luck to you, then. Do you have an idea of what field of medicine you'd like to pursue? Do you foresee this as a move from optometry to ophthalmology, or are you thinking of entering a new arena, altogether? I admit, I still imagine how I might have been interested in med. school as opposed to optometry, but I just didn't like the experience of the hospital, and I'm not keen to endure four years of college plus a year of internship plus two years' residency.