The future of orthognathic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Energon

Nobody Summons Megatron
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the recent developments made in dentofacial orthopeadics it seems to me that surgical intervention is going to reduce as time goes by. I know orthognathic surgery used to be a very big thing back in the 80's; what happened?

On the other hand however, hopefully jaw surgery for males (esthetic) will pick up

What do some of you out there think?

Members don't see this ad.

May I politely correct you. Dentofacial orthopedics (orthodontics) can still only be achieved prior to cessation of growth unless you are only talking about moving teeth. Many many orthognathic patients don't begin to take action on correcting a skeletal deformity until after growth cessation when dentofacial orthopedics alone is not ideal treatment for them. Do not worry, there are plenty of patients who without surgical intervention cannot acheive ideal facial harmony. Dentofacial orthopedics is a great alternative for patients who are identified with a skeletal malocclusion early enough to treat it correctly without surgery. Fear not, orthognathics is not going anywhere.