THE go to journal for psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm on my psychiatry rotations right now and we have to do a couple of powerpoints, typically on journal articles. I was wondering what the go to journal for psychiatry was so that I could peruse through the articles (something akin to the "green" journal for OB/GYN. Any info would be great; thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

So I'm on my psychiatry rotations right now and we have to do a couple of powerpoints, typically on journal articles. I was wondering what the go to journal for psychiatry was so that I could peruse through the articles (something akin to the "green" journal for OB/GYN. Any info would be great; thanks!

If you are looking for a foundation for your PowerPoint presentations, you are probably best off starting with review articles. Then if you really want to track down the primary literature then go from there.

For reviews:

Easiest thing to do is look in Up to Date, frankly.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer if my medical students at least look through a few journals. JAMA, Lancet, or NEJM publish psych-related reviews every now and then: e.g., Jurgen Unutzer just published a JAMA review on treatment-resistant depression in older adults, there was a NEJM review on opioid overdose, Lancet has done some on MDD, chronic insomnia, etc.

For psych journals: The hardest journal to get into is Molecular Psych, but I doubt they would have anything relevant for one of your presentations. Archives doesn't really publish that many review articles. American Journal of Psychiatry publishes review articles with greater frequency: Gunderson had one on BPD a few years ago, Altshuler had one on treating bipolar during pregnancy.

We have a green journal too: the American Journal of Psychiatry. Also Archives of General Psychiatry (the major psych journal), The British Journal of Psychiatry and the general medical journals mentioned above, The Lancet in particular publishes major psychiatry trials as does the NEJM. I could also throw in Science and Nature for more basic science stuff, and Nature Reviews Neuroscience. youve not said what kind of thing you wanted (clinical, theoretical, basic science, original research, review etc)

J Clin Psych is not as high impact but tends to have lots of clinically relevant articles and reviews, probably the easiest place to start.

For a medical student, though it comes with many caveats, I suggest you try to get access to Current Psychiatry. It's basically what would happen if a bunch of people decided in Cincinnati to get together and make a bunch of very good medical student/resident level presentations on various topics, with nice reviews of the literature, etc. Written more like Newsweek articles (circa 1990--nobody reads that **** now) than journal articles, which can be a good thing.

For child, don't forget the orange journal, though in the past few years it's become more of a "real science journal" instead of the formerly very clinician friendly publication it once was. It's good for the journal and it's impact factor, but the thing is now considered useless by the majority of the AACAP membership, which is unfortunate.