The Human Condition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnybunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am SO stumped over this supplemental essay question for UCSF.

"How have your personal experiences informed your understanding of the human condition Summarize what you believe you have learned about the nature of humanity and how that will impact your tenure as a student at UCSF and your future as a pharmacist."

I've tried to start writing, but I can only get a few sentences down (not even a full paragraph) before I hit writer's block again. Even then, I can't even word it out eloquently x___x

Anybody have any tips on how to approach this essay or how to overcome this writer's block? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am SO stumped over this supplemental essay question for UCSF.

"How have your personal experiences informed your understanding of the human condition Summarize what you believe you have learned about the nature of humanity and how that will impact your tenure as a student at UCSF and your future as a pharmacist."

I've tried to start writing, but I can only get a few sentences down (not even a full paragraph) before I hit writer's block again. Even then, I can't even word it out eloquently x___x

Anybody have any tips on how to approach this essay or how to overcome this writer's block? :oops:

You need to think back on your extracurricular activities. What was it that you felt needed to be changed, and what steps did you take to fix the problem. Then you can lead the topic to your future plans. This will be hard to write if you dont have much EC.

Angle it about how the little things can change the course of everything.

Someone is running late and you hold the elevator for them and say, "Hey, how are you doing?" (with a smile) You may completely change their day, as I am sure you will at least brighten it for a few.

You can apply this idea directly to pharmacy. The people you are dealing with are having a bad day, as they are sick or have a family member that is sick. Thus a bit of kindness and a smile really can go a long way.

Take above example and instead you let the door close, which makes them late for something. That too will change their day, as they will probably be pissed about that, at least for a few.

They say laughter is the best medicine for a reason. Mostly because you truly do feel better when you are happy and laughing, even if you are not healthy at the time.

Pretty much you want to explain that you want to be sure you are really making people feel better. Drugs work, but do not always make people feel better until the ailment is gone. You however can make them feel better at that very moment. Will it require you to waste some time, or even fake that you really care? Yes, but in the end it does help. Some will be unappreciative and others will remember you as being such a great and helpful person.

If you wanted to work with drugs, then you could have become a chemist. You wanted to help people, as that is the cliche thing to say. Here though is your opportunity to really show it though. You need to really point out ways that a pharmacist can interact with patients and be more then just a physical wikipedia about drugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think questions like this are more difficult to answer for young people who lack life experience.

As pharmacists, we will work with diverse populations of people who have had their struggles with life. It might be hard to relate if you know nothing about the people you are working with. It's why they teach cultural sensitivity.

I think this question is asking you how your experiences have opened your mind to this. For me, it was growing up in the ghetto and seeing violence/death/drugs, being a minority, being bashed for who I am, and seeing what my family went through to make it.

When people start hating on medicaid babies and all that crap, I know they are just ignorant to what lower and working class people have to endure. People are very resilient. If we weren't, we wouldn't be here, not in a scientific evolutionary sense but culturally. There is a lot of hating in the world but, despite that, those of us who get hated on can get through it, especially if we have the support to do it.

The point is: try not to live in a bubble.

Watch the following movies to seek inspiration.

Requiem for a Dream
The Wrestler
Slumdog Millionaire

These are just a few. Basically, just get yourself really depressed due to other peoples problems and seek reasons why other people are the way they are and how you plan to make a difference as a Pharmacist. Make sure to write your essay while you are still feeling the mood, otherwise you might loose inspiration. It might help to listing to Mozart's Requiem while you are writing your essay and sipping hot chocolate.

That's how I would do it at least....

Reactions: 1 user
Watch the following movies to seek inspiration.

Requiem for a Dream
The Wrestler
Slumdog Millionaire

These are just a few. Basically, just get yourself really depressed due to other peoples problems and seek reasons why other people are the way they are and how you plan to make a difference as a Pharmacist. Make sure to write your essay while you are still feeling the mood, otherwise you might loose inspiration. It might help to listing to Mozart's Requiem while you are writing your essay and sipping hot chocolate.

That's how I would do it at least....

The movie Crash is a great one.

The movie Crash is a great one.

Yea - That is a great movie! I remember the part where the racist cop ends up saving the woman that he assaulted from the vehicle fire. I remember that part blowing my mind...

I gotta watch that one again soon. Especially if I get asked to write an essay about the human condition.. :laugh:

I wouldn't know, but this is the most important question on the application so don't mess it up.