The ICU Book: 2nd vs. 3rd Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snelj23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my intern schedule: I have an ICU month in August, so I wanted to grab something with which to brush up. Everyone always raves about Marino's The ICU Book, and a friend was selling their 2nd edition for $5, so I picked it up. Knowing that there's a 3rd edition, are any sections in the 2nd edition become so dated that I should avoid them specifically? Should I just avoid the 2nd edition at this point altogether?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

many, many changes have been made between the 1998 and 2006 editions. chapters on airway management, acute coronary syndromes, and toxicology have been extensively updated. per Marino's website, the chapters on hyper/hypothermia are also new. I briefly encountered the 2nd edition awhile ago, and the overall build of the 3rd is more solid...more durable and better for highlighting. they improved the graphics a lot, as well. worth the investment, imho.

updates made even beyond 3rd ed can be found on Marino's site.

hope that helped a bit.

many, many changes have been made between the 1998 and 2006 editions. chapters on airway management, acute coronary syndromes, and toxicology have been extensively updated. per Marino's website, the chapters on hyper/hypothermia are also new. I briefly encountered the 2nd edition awhile ago, and the overall build of the 3rd is more solid...more durable and better for highlighting. they improved the graphics a lot, as well. worth the investment, imho.

updates made even beyond 3rd ed can be found on Marino's site.

hope that helped a bit.

Thanks for the input, I'll leave the 2nd edition alone. Now, do you have any opinion of 3rd ed versus Little ICU Book?