The majority of the matriculants, when did they take their MCAT? Is there data for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayjaystudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The majority of the matriculants, when did they take their MCAT? Is there data for this?

Members don't see this ad.

I paid 5,000$ for the MSAR gold edition and it revealed that 87% of matriculants did not take a shower 5 days prior to the test.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took mine July 9th

Hey there, you got some great MCAT score. Any reason why you chose July 9th? I'm guessing you considered applying to schools with rolling admissions -- was this a bit late for that?

Also, what was your major in?

I understand why you may want this info, but I doubt it will provide any useful insight into when to schedule your test.

Your score will be determined by your preparation, not by a potentially easier iteration of the test being proctored in June vs. July.

That being said, you should take into consideration when you are applying. You should aim to have your scores July or earlier in the season your are applying. August at the latest. This will prevent any delays in completing secondary applications.

Hey there, you got some great MCAT score. Any reason why you chose July 9th? I'm guessing you considered applying to schools with rolling admissions -- was this a bit late for that?

Also, what was your major in?
I was a silly boy and took biochem I, physics II, physio, 3 hour/week Kaplan course, and other classes while trying to exercise regularly, volunteer, and study for the MCAT. I hardly studied during finals and realized that June 2 wouldn't leave me with enough time to do the review I wanted. I decided to switch to June 18 but the spots were filled... Hence the July 9th date.

Had I planned my courses better sophomore/junior year I would have been fine.

It was a bit late... silence from 22 schools so far and many have sent out over 50% of II's.

Biomedical sciences.

If you can get in 10+ practice exams and be scoring near your target score then you should be fine. I didn't study over Christmas break (big mistake).

Best of luck btw!! :)

I was a silly boy and took biochem I, physics II, physio, 3 hour/week Kaplan course, and other classes while trying to exercise regularly, volunteer, and study for the MCAT. I hardly studied during finals and realized that June 2 wouldn't leave me with enough time to do the review I wanted. I decided to switch to June 18 but the spots were filled... Hence the July 9th date.

Had I planned my courses better sophomore/junior year I would have been fine.

It was a bit late... silence from 22 schools so far and many have sent out over 50% of II's.

Biomedical sciences.

If you can get in 10+ practice exams and be scoring near your target score then you should be fine. I didn't study over Christmas break (big mistake).

Best of luck btw!! :)

Interesting. Would you say you were at a disadvantage by taking it on July 9th?

Interesting. Would you say you were at a disadvantage by taking it on July 9th?
In some ways, yes. Part of being a late applicant. However, had I tested late May/early June I would have scored 501-506.

But honestly, as someone previously said, do NOT take the MCAT unless you are ready. Everyone is different. People learn/test differently, and there is more than 1 path to medical school. :)

Successful applicants take the test once when they are confident that they will get a score consistent with success.
They apply as early as feasible to the schools that are most likely to interview them.

Reactions: 2 users
Do any of you think that people might look into the type of workload we had during MCAT studying? I realize getting a good score is more important than this but do you think someone might try to compare how much one had going on while studying...a junior studying to take it in April while taking 3 science classes versus someone taking off 4 months in the summer to study versus someone who took several months off after graduation to get relevant experience and study?

Do any of you think that people might look into the type of workload we had during MCAT studying? I realize getting a good score is more important than this but do you think someone might try to compare how much one had going on while studying...a junior studying to take it in April while taking 3 science classes versus someone taking off 4 months in the summer to study versus someone who took several months off after graduation to get relevant experience and study?

No, I believe the expectation is that an applicant will prioritize MCAT preparation regardless of other obligations.

No.