The MCAT has changed (harsh reality check)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep for now-defunct Course & Bad Singer
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing you are about to do. I studied everything hard but neglected OChem a bit. Got wrecked on my July 18 test date. >75% of my questions were OChem related in some way. I probably got 5-10 questions total that were gen chem and physics related.

The quote above is just one of a few which show an element of surprise about the new MCAT that can be found in the threads making up the first few pages at SDN (as of today at least). Having been doing MCAT preparation for quite a while, I have observed a sine wave that follows student attitudes and test trends. Right now it seems that the test is harder than what many test takers are expecting. While the MCAT may be harder now than a year ago (I personally believe this is the case), I think the problem is compounded by the average student preparing for (hoping for) an easier MCAT. From what I read in current SDN posts, this has been a bad combination.

Admittedly, I have been away from SDN for around ten months (making an occasional one-day drive by), so I'm diving back in a bit blind. The names I recognized as regulars have gone away and new ones are here. So I will spend more time reading than posting for a few weeks before getting into some threads. But I really want to address the disparity between expectations and reality that appears to be the current norm.

I am bursting at the seams to scream that you have to prepare mentally for a tough exam. It is a tough exam that is both longer and comes with an expectation of deeper understanding of the concepts. Just based on their addition of a new section it is obviously going to take longer to prepare for, yet I see shorter study schedules floating around SDN than a year ago. With the deeper level of understanding and application, you have to spend more time to be fully prepared than you did a year ago.

A year ago, our books and exams were arguably the most popular here, getting predominantly great feedback and helping students land some solid scores. Now we have fallen off the radar a bit (at least as far as current comments go). The biggest complaint in 2014 was that our materials were too hard. The truth of the matter is that they were in a way geared up for the 2015 MCAT. But we opted to not call them 2015 MCAT books like every single other company chose to do. In 2014, there were at least 100 different books on the market with the phrase "2015 MCAT" on their cover, but none from Berkeley Review. We chose to wait until 2015 to do the major part of our revisions, and as a consequence we have fallen out of many discussions here. There are still some students here using our materials, and I am quite proud of the comments they have left (or emailed us). As pompous as this sounds, we absolutely, positively nailed the new section and our general chemistry and physics are still the very best preparation you'll get anywhere.

But we have let our home study community down by going underground for a while. We are sorry for this, as we have focused nearly all of our energy on perfecting our classroom course. We have been using our new passages and strategies in the classroom. Starting in late August we plan to start releasing our revised materials to home study. A few of the changes are already there (in the biology book in particular), but the biggest changes will be seen in the second half of this year.

I know some of you may continue to say how hard they are, but please wait to make that comment until after you take your MCAT. Before you comment on how the organic chemistry/biochemistry book is detailed, take the exam and see how detailed things have become. Oh yeah, we decided to split the new biochemistry material between the biology books and the organic chemistry books, so there is no longer a pure organic chemistry book (starting in August).

Sorry to ramble on and on. For those who don't know me, I generally don't write long diatribes. It just seemed appropriate at this point in time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
While I can't speak for the Berkeley books, I will say this: the "shock" at OChem on the exam is that there have been questions that do NOT seem to follow the AAMC MCAT topics, or at least presented in such an obscure way that it is very difficult to link it back to what you should have known.

I would just like to say I have been using all of your materials, in addition to others, to prepare and I appreciate the thoroughness of content review not just in the actual content, but the practice passages. They have been a big help, I will definitely point towards BR if when I crush the MCAT in august.

EDIT: Meant practice passages, not tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The quote above is just one of a few which show an element of surprise about the new MCAT that can be found in the threads making up the first few pages at SDN (as of today at least). Having been doing MCAT preparation for quite a while, I have observed a sine wave that follows student attitudes and test trends. Right now it seems that the test is harder than what many test takers are expecting. While the MCAT may be harder now than a year ago (I personally believe this is the case), I think the problem is compounded by the average student preparing for (hoping for) an easier MCAT. From what I read in current SDN posts, this has been a bad combination.

Admittedly, I have been away from SDN for around ten months (making an occasional one-day drive by), so I'm diving back in a bit blind. The names I recognized as regulars have gone away and new ones are here. So I will spend more time reading than posting for a few weeks before getting into some threads. But I really want to address the disparity between expectations and reality that appears to be the current norm.

I am bursting at the seams to scream that you have to prepare mentally for a tough exam. It is a tough exam that is both longer and comes with an expectation of deeper understanding of the concepts. Just based on their addition of a new section it is obviously going to take longer to prepare for, yet I see shorter study schedules floating around SDN than a year ago. With the deeper level of understanding and application, you have to spend more time to be fully prepared than you did a year ago.

A year ago, our books and exams were arguably the most popular here, getting predominantly great feedback and helping students land some solid scores. Now we have fallen off the radar a bit (at least as far as current comments go). The biggest complaint in 2014 was that our materials were too hard. The truth of the matter is that they were in a way geared up for the 2015 MCAT. But we opted to not call them 2015 MCAT books like every single other company chose to do. In 2014, there were at least 100 different books on the market with the phrase "2015 MCAT" on their cover, but none from Berkeley Review. We chose to wait until 2015 to do the major part of our revisions, and as a consequence we have fallen out of many discussions here. There are still some students here using our materials, and I am quite proud of the comments they have left (or emailed us). As pompous as this sounds, we absolutely, positively nailed the new section and our general chemistry and physics are still the very best preparation you'll get anywhere.

But we have let our home study community down by going underground for a while. We are sorry for this, as we have focused nearly all of our energy on perfecting our classroom course. We have been using our new passages and strategies in the classroom. Starting in late August we plan to start releasing our revised materials to home study. A few of the changes are already there (in the biology book in particular), but the biggest changes will be seen in the second half of this year.

I know some of you may continue to say how hard they are, but please wait to make that comment until after you take your MCAT. Before you comment on how the organic chemistry/biochemistry book is detailed, take the exam and see how detailed things have become. Oh yeah, we decided to split the new biochemistry material between the biology books and the organic chemistry books, so there is no longer a pure organic chemistry book (starting in August).

Sorry to ramble on and on. For those who don't know me, I generally don't write long diatribes. It just seemed appropriate at this point in time.

It's not a matter of being harder but a matter of whether or not TBR can maintain quality while racing to put out new books. For example, their FL tests still retain full blown science passages in their verbal section and even 2-3 passages in the PS section are just verbal passages. Unless TBR knows something about the test we don't know, then I have to wonder why the material does not really seem truly updated for the new test.

Thankfully there are more and more companies coming in with materials so hopefully more competition = better materials for us to rely on.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a matter of being harder but a matter of whether or not TBR can maintain quality while racing to put out new books.

It depends on how do you define "racing" I suppose. The text has been undergoing a change for about nine months, and the reality is that the science books were so well written that not much had to be done. They are the result of over 20 years of teacher and student feedback. The 2014 versions were the best for sciences and will remain that. As for the passages, the new passages have been generated over a six month period with the bulk being developed in the last three months. By the time the books are out, it will have been about nine months in the works, which is not racing. If anything, it's taking too long. And the books will continue to change over the next few years.

For example, their FL tests still retain full blown science passages in their verbal section and even 2-3 passages in the PS section are just verbal passages.

That does not sound like our current exams. Which exam are you referring to? The CARS section is pure and unadulterated CARS passages. There is a passage on the history of string theory on the first exam, but that is a HISTORY topic. The physics and chemistry of biological systems section is purely physics, organic chemistry and general chemistry and nothing even remotely close to CARS. Exams 4 and 5 have some anthropology and architecture passages in the CARS section, but there are no biology or physics questions on those. I get how some passages may seem borderline between topics, but the questions are all CARS.

Unless TBR knows something about the test we don't know, then I have to wonder why the material does not really seem truly updated for the new test.

I think there is a disconnect in terms of what you and I are referring to as our "new materials". No one except the printer and proof readers have seen the newest chemistry books. Students in our current class have worked with the new psychology book, but I assume you are not in our course. The new Biology II book has more biochemistry, which was a primary addition to the current MCAT. I guess my question is what you are referring to as our new material.

Last edited:

So there is obviously going to be a new book released for pysch/sociology. You also stated that biochem will be in the (revised) organic chem book. Is there going to be a revised physics, general chem, and cars or verbal book released? Any way you good be more specific on the timeline of the material being released?

So there is obviously going to be a new book released for pysch/sociology. You also stated that biochem will be in the (revised) organic chem book. Is there going to be a revised physics, general chem, and cars or verbal book released? Any way you good be more specific on the timeline of the material being released?

I very much wish I could be specific, but in my years with BR I have come to learn that there is no such thing as a time table. It's both frustrating and a godsend. The organic chemistry/biochemistry book went to print, so it should be out by mid-August. I'm not sure if the psych/soc book has been printed in a "real" format. The current one used in the classes is the tape-bound version, but it seems to be the final product for the moment. The physics and general chemistry books are on target to be printed in time for the next class, which starts in October. If they get printed a little earlier I doubt it will be in time for anything besides maybe the last September MCAT. But the current ones have proven to be very good for the current MCAT. The CARS book is an unknown for me, as I don't come into contact with the people who write and edit that book.

A year ago, our books and exams were arguably the most popular here, getting predominantly great feedback and helping students land some solid scores. Now we have fallen off the radar a bit (at least as far as current comments go). The biggest complaint in 2014 was that our materials were too hard. The truth of the matter is that they were in a way geared up for the 2015 MCAT. But we opted to not call them 2015 MCAT books like every single other company chose to do. In 2014, there were at least 100 different books on the market with the phrase "2015 MCAT" on their cover, but none from Berkeley Review. We chose to wait until 2015 to do the major part of our revisions, and as a consequence we have fallen out of many discussions here.

While I concede I have spent a lot less time learning the MCAT than you, I'll offer the perspective of someone currently studying for the test; my gripe has nothing to do with the fact that your book wasn't advertised to be tailored for the 2015 exam.

I have bought your 2013 book set, as well as Kaplan's and EK's new book set. First of all, I didn't get the feeling that the problem with your books were specific - I thought they were unstructured (or rather, organized inoptimally), all over the place, and lacking in some of the AAMC topics. Kaplan and TPR (and EK, but to a lesser degree) seem to be written directly around the AAMC topic list, and for this reason they felt easier to use to study in conjunction with the topic list.

I've only used the TBR for bio 1 and 2, but the information being presented seems to be thrown at you from all angles. For example, you'll mix up the circulatory system, throw in some relevant information from the nervous system, and then elaborate on the specific white blood cells (which you will later go on to talk about again in the next chapter). The lack of organization makes you feel you might be missing something - and I do recall noticing some topics from the AAMC list being missed. In general, the vibe I'd get from reading TBR was that there was a focus on depth rather than breadth which is opposite how I feel this test should be studied for. Who knows, we'll see.

While I concede I have spent a lot less time learning the MCAT than you, I'll offer the perspective of someone currently studying for the test; my gripe has nothing to do with the fact that your book wasn't advertised to be tailored for the 2015 exam.

I have bought your 2013 book set, as well as Kaplan's and EK's new book set. First of all, I didn't get the feeling that the problem with your books were specific - I thought they were unstructured (or rather, organized inoptimally), all over the place, and lacking in some of the AAMC topics. Kaplan and TPR (and EK, but to a lesser degree) seem to be written directly around the AAMC topic list, and for this reason they felt easier to use to study in conjunction with the topic list.

I've only used the TBR for bio 1 and 2, but the information being presented seems to be thrown at you from all angles. For example, you'll mix up the circulatory system, throw in some relevant information from the nervous system, and then elaborate on the specific blood pressures. The lack of organization makes you feel you might be missing something - and I do recall noticing some topics from the AAMC list being missed. In general, the vibe I'd get from reading TBR was that there was a focus on depth rather than breadth which is opposite how I feel this test should be studied for. Who knows, we'll see.

Thanks for an honest assessment. Just to make sure I am reading this correctly, you only used the biology books. I ask this because different books sets were written by a different primary author and thus have a different feel. The biology is primarily written by the lead instructor in Berkeley, with the passages coming from a group of writers. His teaching philosophy is one that centers around (1) learning upon getting problems wrong and then thoroughly going over the explanations and (2) the more you know, the less chance they can surprise you.

The books consequently emphasize learning from answer explanations. And you are correct that if you just used the text portion, you would in fact miss some of the topics from the AAMC list. But those topics are well represented in the passages. The philosophy of all the authors is that the passages must contain everything that can be tested and that upon doing all of the passages you will have seen every topic, but the text is there for supplement. The idea is that if you do a thorough postgame analysis after every homework and every exam, that you'll cover everything and be prepared for the MCAT passages where they mix multiple topics together.

You are no doubt right that it would be more comforting and reassuring to have the text systematically follow the AAMC list. It would give the reader the sense of organization and a checklist. In fact, that is how the physics book is organized. But it can potentially lead to a false sense of security. If you read through after-MCAT posts, you'll see that many people were caught off guard when passages presented things in ways they weren't expecting. The strength of BR books lies in the vast array of passages that present things in many different ways, sometimes combined with other topics. The style is not for everyone, but please know that it was designed with a great deal of thought. Everything is done by design and the books are written by teachers with twenty-plus years of MCAT teaching under their belt. The payoff comes when you get a screwy passage on the MCAT combining Poiseuille's Law, with kidney feedback, and a genetic issue. It comes when they present a passage on something like Methemoglobinemia, which you've never heard of before, but you recall a bizarre BR passage on hemoglobin disorders and inbreeding that requires the same reasoning.

In all likelihood, you won't feel good working through our books. But if all goes as planned, you'll feel good on the day of your MCAT.

First let me say for anyone shopping for prep materials, I was a huge fan of Berk Review. I scored 40+ on the old test and very much attribute it to being properly prepared by BR. Examkrackers was a rival for Bio because it was a little less dense/detail oriented and Princeton Review Hyperlearning was a rival for Verbal quality, but the BR Chem/Ochem/Physics material was the best bar none in my opinion (I had access to all books from EK, BR, Princeton, Kaplan). I'm glad to see BR continues to put quality first and didn't publish a bunch of guesswork early on labeled as 2015 prep to get in on the first round of customers.

Second let me say that if my reasoning stands, the test difficulty hasn't changed because the test-taking population hasn't changed. The MCAT was and continues to be a percentile based exam, with the difficulty from beating your peers not the test. The test may be longer, cover more material, be harder to predict, have lower raw scores / percent correct per section, and so on...but these conditions apply to all test takers. What will matter will still be scoring in the top fifth or so of the bell curve, and unless this year brings a much smarter or more studious batch of premeds than last year, this challenge at the heart of the gauntlet is unchanged!

In all likelihood, you won't feel good working through our books.

The books do feel much harder, relative to EK in particular. I think often the other companies aim at preparing people well enough to break into low 30s whereas BR is better for the hyper-achievers that want top few percent

I have the 2012 books and plan on purchasing the psych/soc when it's released in addition to the tests. Will this be sufficient? I'm also using my biochemistry text and EK 9th.

To be honest, this may seem like a harsh statement, but people should have known better about organic chemistry. Organic chemistry has always and will always be from here on out an important topic to study on the MCAT. Failing to study it would be like failing to study biology. Like it or not, organic chemistry is the basis for understanding any biological reaction in the body and is thus fair game to test on. With that said, it is rather frustrating that AAMC did not adequately represent organic chemistry on their sample test, which is one of the main sources of misunderstanding for test takers. From the AAMC test alone, it would be understandable for people to assume that organic chemistry will be presented in a biochemical context on the actual exam. I only recall a single purely organic chemistry passage on the sample test as well as a discrete question or two that were purely o-chem.

Reactions: 2 users
From the AAMC test alone, it would be understandable for people to assume that organic chemistry will be presented in a biochemical context on the actual exam. I only recall a single purely organic chemistry passage on the sample test as well as a discrete question or two that were purely o-chem.
This exactly summed up my expectations of the exam. Rather what I got was a physical science section that felt like a pre-2015 MCAT organic chemistry section.

Members don't see this ad :)
What people say about TBR being difficult or hard, is evidence of the "trophy movement" in America. This week's episode of Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel on HBO has a segment called "Trophy Nation" explaining the consequences of rewarding every single kid, including last place with trophies! Even if yall hate sports please watch this because it also includes some interesting points about academics, including Ivy league colleges. If you have HBO on demand please watch the segment because it explains why a lot of people don't like TBR. Here is a link to a trailer of the episode

My favorite quote that I live my life by.

937Ol2b.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
What people say about TBR being difficult or hard, is evidence of the "trophy movement" in America. This week's episode of Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel on HBO has a segment called "Trophy Nation" explaining the consequences of rewarding every single kid, including last place with trophies! Even if yall hate sports please watch this because it also includes some interesting points about academics, including Ivy league colleges. If you have HBO on demand please watch the segment because it explains why a lot of people don't like TBR. Here is a link to a trailer of the episode

My favorite quote that I live my life by.

937Ol2b.jpg

no, TBR actually is harder than some of the other prep companies...

no, TBR actually is harder than some of the other prep companies...

I know it is, that's my point. Trophy generation expects to score well on everything, so when they don't do well on the passages, they just say it's too hard instead of learning from their mistakes, trying harder, trying again, etc.

I know it is, that's my point. Trophy generation expects to score well on everything, so when they don't do well on the passages, they just say it's too hard instead of learning from their mistakes, trying harder, trying again, etc.
There's a difference between BR being hard (it is, objectively) and people responding poorly to the difficulty...when I say it was hard it has nothing to do with being in a "trophy generation" , I actually found it a positive.

Compared to the 2012 set, is there going to be significant change in the science books?

Last edited:
Legit question! I asked the same earlier. Buying 1 book is a lot better than 4! Biochemistry is currently in the bio 2 book. As far as CARS the reading and break down of passages hasn't changed.

I plan on purchasing testing materials and the psychology/soc book but 2012 and 9th edition EK is all I'm buying,

The biggest complaint in 2014 was that our materials were too hard.

As someone who took the last of the old MCAT exams, I still recommend BR books to my peers. I struggled through failing BR scores for months before I was able to achieve consistent 80%+ scores. The result was a top-tier (IMO) score.

yet I see shorter study schedules floating around SDN than a year ago

I was relatively active and I left the MCAT forums because I was tired of seeing frantic posts about focusing on psych/soc while neglecting physics/orgo.

Thanks Cawolf for your post. It means a lot. Thanks also to ttucrchi and efle for your thoughts. For the sake of political correctness, I should shy away from replying, but I really, really appreciate your perspective. I hear your thoughts echoed from adcoms and long time members of the premedical community.

@Bleu: I think using books from late 2012 (after the format change in the physics books and general chemistry books) will be fine. Just go to AAMC's list of topics and cross out subjects like solids, amine reactions, circular motion, 13C NMR and so on. Reduce your stress on topics such as momentum, periodic motion, phase change dynamics, electromagnetism beyond F=qvB applications, and elimination. Supplement your studies with biochemistry and you should be fine. I'm not sure when the psychology/sociology book will be officially released, but it has been getting great results with students so far. Just be prepared to memorize a an escalade's worth of names and theories.

Reactions: 1 users
To be honest, this may seem like a harsh statement, but people should have known better about organic chemistry. Organic chemistry has always and will always be from here on out an important topic to study on the MCAT. Failing to study it would be like failing to study biology. Like it or not, organic chemistry is the basis for understanding any biological reaction in the body and is thus fair game to test on. With that said, it is rather frustrating that AAMC did not adequately represent organic chemistry on their sample test, which is one of the main sources of misunderstanding for test takers. From the AAMC test alone, it would be understandable for people to assume that organic chemistry will be presented in a biochemical context on the actual exam. I only recall a single purely organic chemistry passage on the sample test as well as a discrete question or two that were purely o-chem.

Thanks for posting this!!!

Thanks Cawolf for your post. It means a lot. Thanks also to ttucrchi and efle for your thoughts. For the sake of political correctness, I should shy away from replying, but I really, really appreciate your perspective. I hear your thoughts echoed from adcoms and long time members of the premedical community.

@Bleu: I think using books from late 2012 (after the format change in the physics books and general chemistry books) will be fine. Just go to AAMC's list of topics and cross out subjects like solids, amine reactions, circular motion, 13C NMR and so on. Reduce your stress on topics such as momentum, periodic motion, phase change dynamics, electromagnetism beyond F=qvB applications, and elimination. Supplement your studies with biochemistry and you should be fine. I'm not sure when the psychology/sociology book will be officially released, but it has been getting great results with students so far. Just be prepared to memorize a an escalade's worth of names and theories.
Thank you.

Compared to the 2012 set, is there going to be significant change in the science books?

The content in the text will have some changes, and outdated material will be removed. The text has been evolving for the new test over the past few years, so it won't be a drastic change except for about two (maybe three) chapters total for the science books. The big changes will be with the passages. There will be new ones added, some old ones thrown away, some new questions, additions to answer explanations (based on student feedback of what is helpful), and more integration of biology topics in the chemistry and physics.

The most noticeable change will be the three distinct homework phases associated with the chemistry, physics, and orgo books. There will be a home study schedule included in the books as well as some preparation suggestions specific to home study. They are going to be a little more user friendly, but will still aim to have 20% of the questions punch you in the stomach.

So there is obviously going to be a new book released for pysch/sociology?

Apparently it was turned in for printing yesterday and will start the process Monday. They said it usually takes about two to three weeks from submission to receiving the books, as long as the heavier paper is in stock.