The MIGDAS-2 thoughts and criticisms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychma

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone will chime in. In this day of TIK TOK and You-Tube, I find this assessment harder to give. People seem to know many of the “right” answers and have even referenced seeing the test. They are very invested in getting a diagnosis but when they tick all the boxes but I can get them to participate in reciprocal conversation, show interest in my comments, make social comments, elaborate on topics even socially etc and tell them they don’t meet criteria, I get anger, tears, and outrage. I have had to meet with some people twice to process the lack of diagnosis with them.

Also, scoring on the MIGDAS is odd. There are some categories to answer like “showed a stereotyped typical normal response to agitation” vs “there is no agitation”. What if (most times) people are out there in their responses. There are responses and they are not normal. Forgive me, I don’t have the MIGDAS in front of me to quote properly. Another answer hitting on the autistic end is that they know their triggers for sensory issues. In fact, many of the neurodivergent people I work with do not. Granted they are need level 2. I find that answer confusing. I will look at the test and come up with more accurate examples.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Your integrity is commendable.

Reactions: 1 user
I had to use it during my post doc and found it to be a bit lacking , it's definitely more clinical interview -ish, but still useful alongside modules of the ADOS-2.

You make a great point about assessing reciprocal conversation, show interest in my comments, make social comments, elaborate socially, etc. Sure people can go online and get stereotypical answers to some of the questions but harder to fake the other components on the fly.