The more I study, the worse I do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhmhtd

℅ something somewhere eventually
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds idiotic, but since I've switched back over to being "pre-vet" the (unnecessary?) pressure to make all As in every single class has sort of hurt my GPA. I guess I subconciously feel like I absolutely MUST make straight As to stand a chance at getting into vet school. As a result, I study way more. But my grades drop-- not terribly, but to around a B average. Does anyone else deal with this? I suppose it's stress related and when I don't feel pressured to do great, I can relax enough to absorb the material? Do any current vet students have any insight? I'm applying this year so it's right around the time I need to be doing fantastic in school...

Members don't see this ad.

Changing your study habits may be in order. I found that I became a visual studyer, since a lot in pre-vet (I found) was easy to diagram and identify structures. As well as writing out systems and functions, like hormonal pathways and effects.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also do you have text anxiety? I didn't get test anxiety until I did the same thing to myself - pressure to get the high grades.

If you have test anxiety, you can talk to a school counselor. You may be able to get extra time to take your tests or you could take them in an extra quiet room. My solution was just to take the exam in a room with fewer students (I would start getting distracted/nervous when I saw other people had finished and I was still thinking) and to also have a little extra time available. I wouldn't necessarily use the extra time, but it was a stress reducer just to know it was there if I needed it.

How much do you study? If you're trying to get a 4.0, spending all your time in class or studying, and getting stressed out, that might make it harder to learn. Some people do better if they schedule out their time and make themselves take some time for fun, relaxing stuff. Obviously it has to be a good balance. Like planning a night off or an evening with friends once a week, or taking an hour to do something fun every day (exercise, walk/train a dog if you have one, whatever).

Or it could be study methods like other people suggested. I'm not sure what your major was before, but it can be very different studying for science classes compared to a non-science program.

I've been putting a ton of pressure on myself as well to be "perfect" because realistically the worst part of my application is my GPA. I literally need to improve it or I won't be able to apply to any schools, yes it's that bad. Past mistakes. I was at my last job panicking before midterms and one of the vets sat me down and said to me "Look, I did this in vet school too and it didn't go well. So my professor just told me "You know it all, it's in your head, you have to find the information." I know it sounds silly but before every test I would tell myself "It's in your brain catalog, you just have to let it come to the forefront" and I felt less anxious about it. Sure I came across some questions I couldn't solve but overall it really lessened my anxiety before the test and let me think with a clearer mind. Assuming of course you actually study :D

Just my $0.02, for what it's worth :)

Reactions: 1 users
Typically, I rewrite my notes, draw pictures, find youtube videos, anything visual basically. If I can't see how or why something works, I don't understand it (this is why I hate chemistry, everything just seems to happen just because). I've always been a biology major, but was toying with the idea of graduate school as opposed to vet school for a couple years. During that time, I significantly increased my GPA. I still study the same way, and I definitely try to make sure I have at least one day a week where I don't do anything school-related. That helps for sure.
I do think I have horrible test anxiety, but so do a lot of people, so I didn't think it would be legitimate to bring to the student resource center to be able to take tests in a quieter setting. I am like you, lailanni and every time someone gets up, coughs, squeaks their chair, etc I am totally distracted. Sounds like I can and should pursue this route and not have to feel as rushed or distracted.
SV88, that doesn't sound silly at all! I sometimes do give myself mental pep talks during exams and tell myself, "you know this stuff, just write it down." But then I start beating myself up if it doesn't come to me and I think about all the other students taking the test that probably know the material and make As and have a 4.0 and why can't i just be like that, etc.... Ugh! I know that's totally nonproductive too.

It sounds like maybe I should talk to the student disability resource center and find out about taking tests in a different, less stressful location.

I do think I have horrible test anxiety, but so do a lot of people, so I didn't think it would be legitimate to bring to the student resource center to be able to take tests in a quieter setting. I am like you, lailanni and every time someone gets up, coughs, squeaks their chair, etc I am totally distracted. Sounds like I can and should pursue this route and not have to feel as rushed or distracted.

It sounds like maybe I should talk to the student disability resource center and find out about taking tests in a different, less stressful location.

That is a totally legitimate reason to go to the student resource center. Everyone suffers from test anxiety to a certain degree, but not to that level. For example, I used to get really stressed when I didn't study enough and knew I was going to struggle on the exam, but that was mostly my fault. On exams I did feel ready for, I'd be a bit nervous, but I wouldn't get distracted whenever someone stood up/coughed/squeaked etc. It sounds like you legitimately do have reason to need to take it in a quieter setting, since it's impacting your ability to do well. The student disability resource centers are always very helpful and understanding, so definitely go have a talk with them, it could really make a difference. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, it's like reading my own story.

I was basically a straight-B student for the longest time, and I for the life of me couldn't figure out why. When I took a good, honest look at my study habits, I found that I was spending almost every waking second studying and working. In a way, I think that it disillusioned me into thinking I had to be perfect academically, causing even more stress and test anxiety - ESPECIALLY in chemistry courses, for whatever reason. I decided to take a new approach: maximize study time quality rather than quantity, and make sure to set out time for myself so I could unwind and relax for a bit. Lo and behold, I found myself making more and more As as time went on. I think the change in habits helped me to not burn out as quickly, and I'm glad that I figured out the best way for me to go about schoolwork. I'm a visual learner, just as you say you are, and I really did find that focusing on studying correctly instead of necessarily studying more was the way to go. Personally, anyway, as I recognize every student is different and what worked for me may not work for you.

Typically, I rewrite my notes, draw pictures, find youtube videos, anything visual basically. If I can't see how or why something works, I don't understand it (this is why I hate chemistry, everything just seems to happen just because). I've always been a biology major, but was toying with the idea of graduate school as opposed to vet school for a couple years. During that time, I significantly increased my GPA. I still study the same way, and I definitely try to make sure I have at least one day a week where I don't do anything school-related. That helps for sure.
SV88, that doesn't sound silly at all! I sometimes do give myself mental pep talks during exams and tell myself, "you know this stuff, just write it down." But then I start beating myself up if it doesn't come to me and I think about all the other students taking the test that probably know the material and make As and have a 4.0 and why can't i just be like that, etc.... Ugh! I know that's totally nonproductive too.

Like Cyndia, I would absolutely consider this legitimate. Test anxiety is normal to a certain degree, but if it's bad enough that the simplest noises or sights are severely distracting you, I'm sure there's something that can be worked out to accommodate that (whether it be through talking to your professors, visiting a resource center, or whatever your school offers). If it helps you feel better, I always get nervous when other students get up to turn in their tests and leave; it makes me panic a little bit mentally and want to hurry up and finish, which consequently tends to lead to less focus and more mistakes. I think that that anxiety at least is pretty common. Coughing/squeaks/other sounds don't bother me too terribly much, however. But yeah, definitely ask around and see how your school can help you.

Wow, it's like reading my own story.

I was basically a straight-B student for the longest time, and I for the life of me couldn't figure out why. When I took a good, honest look at my study habits, I found that I was spending almost every waking second studying and working. In a way, I think that it disillusioned me into thinking I had to be perfect academically, causing even more stress and test anxiety - ESPECIALLY in chemistry courses, for whatever reason. I decided to take a new approach: maximize study time quality rather than quantity, and make sure to set out time for myself so I could unwind and relax for a bit. Lo and behold, I found myself making more and more As as time went on. I think the change in habits helped me to not burn out as quickly, and I'm glad that I figured out the best way for me to go about schoolwork. I'm a visual learner, just as you say you are, and I really did find that focusing on studying correctly instead of necessarily studying more was the way to go. Personally, anyway, as I recognize every student is different and what worked for me may not work for you.
YES. It is very frustrating and it turns into a vicious cycle.
I feel like maximizing study quality is an excellent idea. Perhaps it's been the years of hearing "you need to spend XX hours of studying per hour of class time." This is obviously not effective for some of us.
What sorts of techniques do you use to maximize your study time quality?
My cell biology professor made his own youtube videos are those were tremendously helpful! I wish every professor was as dedicated as he was. Since then, I have just searched for generic videos on topics I'm learning about and sometimes that makes it click for some reason.

It probably doesn't help that I've crammed 28 upper level science courses into this spring and summer semester so I definitely feel burnt out, and that's not a great feeling. I love learning and most of the biology courses I have had to take are fascinating, but I feel like I can't appreciate the material.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

YES. It is very frustrating and it turns into a vicious cycle.
I feel like maximizing study quality is an excellent idea. Perhaps it's been the years of hearing "you need to spend XX hours of studying per hour of class time." This is obviously not effective for some of us.
What sorts of techniques do you use to maximize your study time quality?
My cell biology professor made his own youtube videos are those were tremendously helpful! I wish every professor was as dedicated as he was. Since then, I have just searched for generic videos on topics I'm learning about and sometimes that makes it click for some reason.

It probably doesn't help that I've crammed 28 upper level science courses into this spring and summer semester so I definitely feel burnt out, and that's not a great feeling. I love learning and most of the biology courses I have had to take are fascinating, but I feel like I can't appreciate the material.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
28 courses?!?!? Please tell me that is a typo, or you meant 28 credit hours, or else how are you alive???

omg. credit hours. haha

Can you wear earplugs during exams? Even if you get to use a separate testing room, that can still be helpful if you're not the only person in the testing center at the time. I don't have test anxiety, but I have ADHD and I lose my focus with every single chair-squeak/gum-chew/shoe-tap/cough/sneeze... It's frustrating to know that I know the information to do well, but I get so distracted and then stressed out by the sounds that I'm not testing as well as I could.
this is why I hate chemistry, everything just seems to happen just because
You need a really good chemistry professor. :) Some teach it by teaching you why things happen the way they do, and others tell you to just memorize it. I'm the same way, I have a very hard time memorizing reactions and stuff if it seems random, but when I get to learn the mechanisms and reasons that things happen then I really love chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone else has offered great advice, but for chemistry specifically, have you considered buying a model kit? It lets you put the structures together and do the mechanisms and such, which is great for visual and/or tactile learners.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone else has offered great advice, but for chemistry specifically, have you considered buying a model kit? It lets you put the structures together and do the mechanisms and such, which is great for visual and/or tactile learners.
Ya know, this does sound like a really good idea! Or course I am finishing organic 2 this week, but I think that would've helped tremendously. I had thought about buying a model kit when I started organic chemistry, but I didn't and I've kind of forgotten about them. I do still have to take Biochemistry 2 so if there are molecules in that, I would consider buying a model kit.

So since we're talking about test anxiety and receiving the extra time/alternate location passes for it (my school offers only 20 extra minutes), I have
a question about it. A friend and I were talking about this a few semesters back, and she brought up a fairly valid point. She said something along the lines of: If you truly feel that you cannot possibly do well on an exam without 2o extra minutes and a smaller room, how can you succeed as a doctor, particularly in an emergency situation where you cannot get those 20 extra minutes to focus/concentrate? You don't get 20 extra minutes on your MCAT/GRE/NAVLE, do you?

I'm not trying to offend anyone or incite arguments, I'm genuinely interested in the feedback.

I have severe test anxiety, and never talked to anyone about it to receive the exam taking assistance. Some exams, no matter how prepared I was, I would ultimately be overly-stressed for...particularly for biochemistry. I would get physically paralyzing panic attacks leading up to the exam. Was taken to the ER once because my pulse wouldn't come down after one of the attacks. I can't say whether or not those extra 20 minutes and a smaller room would have helped me at all. My nerves weren't from being surrounded by other freaked-out people or from being un-prepared. They were from knowing that if I didn't ace the course, I wasn't getting into vet school. Didn't ace the course, and I'm not in vet school (not for that sole reason, but a 4.0 would have helped my case!). That's the pressure everyone's talking about.

Earplugs: YES. That helped me in orgo. I could completely zone into my exam. I would get super focused with those earplugs in.

I'm just going to say this, and it's going to sound bad: you might not absorb all of the material. Yes, it's ideal to truly learn it, since you might see it again in vet school (where you won't be taught the basics of the topic and are expected to already understand it). I've had exams where it'd be the 4th exam that week, and I'd honestly just get to a point where I was straight memorizing things and forgetting them after the exam. It worked well, but unfortunately, I might need to review these things in the future. I will have to review the things I did learn too, however. It's normal to not be able to recall how to do the gen chem math problems off the top of your head 4 years later.

So since we're talking about test anxiety and receiving the extra time/alternate location passes for it (my school offers only 20 extra minutes), I have
a question about it. A friend and I were talking about this a few semesters back, and she brought up a fairly valid point. She said something along the lines of: If you truly feel that you cannot possibly do well on an exam without 2o extra minutes and a smaller room, how can you succeed as a doctor, particularly in an emergency situation where you cannot get those 20 extra minutes to focus/concentrate? You don't get 20 extra minutes on your MCAT/GRE/NAVLE, do you?

I'm not trying to offend anyone or incite arguments, I'm genuinely interested in the feedback.
I think comparing a testing environment and a medical emergency is apples to oranges, although I haven't yet been involved in a medical emergency where I was the one having to draw on knowledge and decide how to proceed, so maybe I'm wrong.

And of the tests you mention, I've only taken the GRE, but at least where I took it it was much more quiet and controlled than any of my exams in undergrad. The computers were on cubicle-like desks and they provided headphones to block out noise, so it was very easy, at least for me, to just zone in on your own computer. I occasionally get test anxiety, but my main pet peeves are professors talking/giving last-minute instructions while I'm trying to work, and desks placed super-close together, and those aren't things that should happen during a standardized test.

I would also assume that legally, any standardized testing facility would have to offer reasonable disability accommodations, although you may have to provide documentation of a learning disability to get extra time or a special location.

Comparing an emergency case is not at all like dealing with an exam. An emergency case appears randomly, needs to be dealt with, and you are the only one there to make decisions (usually). An exam you have known about for weeks/months, the anxiety builds up over time, there are tons of other people around. It is just not the same. Not even close to the same thing. I get super anxious with exams (even though I would not consider myself as having test anxiety as I usually calm down once the exam begins), when I have been involved with emergency cases my brain just goes, "ok you need to do x, y, z and you need to do it NOW!" There is no time to get "anxious" or worry, you just do what needs to be done.

Reactions: 3 users
I think comparing a testing environment and a medical emergency is apples to oranges, although I haven't yet been involved in a medical emergency where I was the one having to draw on knowledge and decide how to proceed, so maybe I'm wrong.

And of the tests you mention, I've only taken the GRE, but at least where I took it it was much more quiet and controlled than any of my exams in undergrad. The computers were on cubicle-like desks and they provided headphones to block out noise, so it was very easy, at least for me, to just zone in on your own computer. I occasionally get test anxiety, but my main pet peeves are professors talking/giving last-minute instructions while I'm trying to work, and desks placed super-close together, and those aren't things that should happen during a standardized test.

I would also assume that legally, any standardized testing facility would have to offer reasonable disability accommodations, although you may have to provide documentation of a learning disability to get extra time or a special location.
I actually found it harder to concentrate during the GRE since I was so used to tuning out noise and zoning into my test, and that noise wasn't there. I'm usually pretty good at ignoring people...lol.

I think one of my top test-taking pet peeves is when a professor interrupts the exam to say "Oops, none of the choices for #34 are the right answer. Circle any of them and you'll get the points." :lame: or to say anything, really. Or when they eat up the first few minutes of class by rambling or taking forever to pass out exams.

It is comparing two different physical environments, but your body reacts the same (maybe...?). You might get some adrenaline...heart racing...rapid thoughts trying to answer those last questions before the time's out, etc. I'd like to hear from those who cope with ADD and who are successfully practicing. Does it affect your ability to complete your work as it did (or didn't) in school?

I think one of my top test-taking pet peeves is when a professor interrupts the exam to say "Oops, none of the choices for #34 are the right answer. Circle any of them and you'll get the points." :lame: or to say anything, really. Or when they eat up the first few minutes of class by rambling or taking forever to pass out exams.
It's the worst! The worst situation like that that I've had was my biochem final last semester. It was made up of questions from past exams, but my professor had the bright idea to scramble the answer choices, even though a good chunk of the questions had choices like "all of the above" or "both A and B," so some questions had no right answer. He didn't realize this until we started taking the test, so he kept having to interrupt to point out which questions were messed up, and then he kept changing his mind about how he wanted us to answer them. Luckily I did well enough on the final to get my desired B in the class, or I would have been pissed!

Just adding a little two cents in, the best way to study for exams is actually testing oneself/ with a partner. It is shown that rereading notes and even rewriting notes creates familiarity with a subject and not understanding. Aka, you feel like you know the stuff even though you really don't. What works best is creating one's own test questions with regards to the topic (this is modeled by the highest level of learning from a pedagogy standpoint.) also, you should be explaining a topic without looking at your notes, which usually works best with a partner. It has been shown that instant recall of information will allow you to remember much more during the exam then if you are constantly studying your notes. As a little aside, ik you are comfortable with visual things, but it has actually been shown that people that believe they are visual learners are actually able to use other learning methods just as effectively.

Just adding a little two cents in, the best way to study for exams is actually testing oneself/ with a partner. It is shown that rereading notes and even rewriting notes creates familiarity with a subject and not understanding. Aka, you feel like you know the stuff even though you really don't. What works best is creating one's own test questions with regards to the topic (this is modeled by the highest level of learning from a pedagogy standpoint.) also, you should be explaining a topic without looking at your notes, which usually works best with a partner. It has been shown that instant recall of information will allow you to remember much more during the exam then if you are constantly studying your notes. As a little aside, ik you are comfortable with visual things, but it has actually been shown that people that believe they are visual learners are actually able to use other learning methods just as effectively.

I don't disagree with any of that, but sadly, many many vet school exams aren't about "understanding" material, they're about rote recall of endless amounts of information. I think team studying can still work well ... and I think that 'understanding' is obviously important long-term for practical purposes ... but for the immediate need to pass exams ... meh. (I know, the OP was talking about undergrad classes, not vet school.)

And, I'm pretty sure I would not have had time to pass all my exams if I had learned it to the degree that you're describing (especially working with a study partner). I definitely did partner-based studying for some material, but for much of it it was time-limited brute-force memorization. Maybe other vet students feel like there is time for more of the long-term, 'deep understanding' approach, but I didn't think so.

Hats off to the people that can invest the time to learn it deeply the first time through. That's awesome. But for the rest of you, don't lose hope - when you learn it for the second or third time in your clinical year, it will start sticking then.

I don't disagree with any of that, but sadly, many many vet school exams aren't about "understanding" material, they're about rote recall of endless amounts of information. I think team studying can still work well ... and I think that 'understanding' is obviously important long-term for practical purposes ... but for the immediate need to pass exams ... meh. (I know, the OP was talking about undergrad classes, not vet school.)

And, I'm pretty sure I would not have had time to pass all my exams if I had learned it to the degree that you're describing (especially working with a study partner). I definitely did partner-based studying for some material, but for much of it it was time-limited brute-force memorization. Maybe other vet students feel like there is time for more of the long-term, 'deep understanding' approach, but I didn't think so.

Hats off to the people that can invest the time to learn it deeply the first time through. That's awesome. But for the rest of you, don't lose hope - when you learn it for the second or third time in your clinical year, it will start sticking then.

+1. Completely and totally agree with this.

Sometimes I could study with a friend, but a lot of the time it was just shoving info in.

I have severe test anxiety, and never talked to anyone about it to receive the exam taking assistance. Some exams, no matter how prepared I was, I would ultimately be overly-stressed for...particularly for biochemistry. I would get physically paralyzing panic attacks leading up to the exam. Was taken to the ER once because my pulse wouldn't come down after one of the attacks. I can't say whether or not those extra 20 minutes and a smaller room would have helped me at all. My nerves weren't from being surrounded by other freaked-out people or from being un-prepared. They were from knowing that if I didn't ace the course, I wasn't getting into vet school. Didn't ace the course, and I'm not in vet school (not for that sole reason, but a 4.0 would have helped my case!). That's the pressure everyone's talking about.

Earplugs: YES. That helped me in orgo. I could completely zone into my exam. I would get super focused with those earplugs in.

I'm just going to say this, and it's going to sound bad: you might not absorb all of the material. Yes, it's ideal to truly learn it, since you might see it again in vet school (where you won't be taught the basics of the topic and are expected to already understand it). I've had exams where it'd be the 4th exam that week, and I'd honestly just get to a point where I was straight memorizing things and forgetting them after the exam. It worked well, but unfortunately, I might need to review these things in the future. I will have to review the things I did learn too, however. It's normal to not be able to recall how to do the gen chem math problems off the top of your head 4 years later.

You do get extra time on the NAVLE if you have a documented disability. Instead of taking the exam in one day, it gets split into two.

(Though I used a smaller and quieter room for school exams, I took the NAVLE in one day and I was glad I got that over with)

I would also say that comparing an emergency situation to an exam is completely different. Do I work in an ER practice? No. But I'm comfortable in quick thinking REAL situations. Make me bubble in answers on a scantron, selecting from confusing crap like "option A, option A and B, option A and C, none of the above, all of the above" based on tiny little random facts that I don't even use now? Yeah, I'd like my quiet room and a few extra minutes for that. And I'm not a less capable doctor because of it.

I don't believe that how you take your written exams and how you function in clinics is a direct relationship. Maybe someone can have general anxiety for everything and that can impact their clinical function. But for me, test anxiety has not limited my function in real life.

If anyone feels like a quiet space and a few extra minutes might help you out, I encourage you to go for it. It's not the solution for everyone, but hey, if it can help - why not?

FWIW, Lots of vet school (for me) was straight memorizing. Did I remember all the weird little details in clinics? Nope. Did I go look it up later? Yup - along with everyone else.

Last edited:
Also FWIW, the anxiety I felt for taking the NAVLE was way worse than any ER situation I've encountered! Ever.

To me, something like "stop the bleeding" is a lot more straightforward than "pass this crazy huge exam with random questions, or it means you've failed at learning over the last 4 years and you won't be a doctor and can't practice and you'll have to do it all over again and that'll be $500 more in the hole and you'll feel really disappointed in yourself." (at least that's what was in my mind)

I'd much rather stop the bleeding ;)