The non-interview or competitive sub-specialty related IM thread (or also the vent thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know.

I'm a pulm/crit fellow - we kind of exist at the edges of the formal academic environment, so no one seems to blink when they see us in scrubs.

you're just being uber humble :)

Members don't see this ad.

Castration ... this is the only way to deal with these weasels ...

I am outraged for every woman trying to not be treated like a sex object!!

(no I'm not)
Man, what I wrote is biting me in the a*s. I was totally kidding about my 3 things... didn't meant to sound like a weasel or a sex-maniac. I apologize to all the women out there. In an effort to redeem myself, let me try this again and write what I would REALLY bring.

Tool: some kind of GPS device that works on the seas.
Book: a book that would teach me how to sail a boat.
Personal item: a boat to get off the island.

The white coat is too much, but I'll wear my scrubs home and stop at grocery or take out on the way home.
Scrubs + making a pit-stop = :thumbup:
White coat + making any kind of stop outside the hospital = :thumbdown:

Tool: fire starter kit
Book: one of those "how to survive in the wild" type books
Personal item: I was totally going to say boat! But since you said it first, I guess I'll go with toothbrush.

** hi. I've been reading these boards religiously since pre-allo. Just never comment! I guess I'm shy... It's weird though because I feel like I know all of you more then I know a lot of people :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Something that I always wanted to do but never got around to doing is optimizing my iTunes library (cleaning it up, adding more music, etc). In order to get my mind off the Match, I think I'm gonna get to this. Does anyone have any jams or beats that they want to recommend?

Looking for rap, hip-hop, R&B, jazz, rock, pop, oldies... pretty much anything but country.

Man, what I wrote is biting me in the a*s. I was totally kidding about my 3 things... didn't meant to sound like a weasel or a sex-maniac. I apologize to all the women out there. In an effort to redeem myself, let me try this again and write what I would REALLY bring.

Tool: some kind of GPS device that works on the seas.
Book: a book that would teach me how to sail a boat.
Personal item: a boat to get off the island.

Scrubs + making a pit-stop = :thumbup:
White coat + making any kind of stop outside the hospital = :thumbdown:

hahahahha the weasel is not you!!! its the white-coat wearing starbucks lurker :laugh::laugh:

Something that I always wanted to do but never got around to doing is optimizing my iTunes library (cleaning it up, adding more music, etc). In order to get my mind off the Match, I think I'm gonna get to this. Does anyone have any jams or beats that they want to recommend?

Looking for rap, hip-hop, R&B, jazz, rock, pop, oldies... pretty much anything but country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uXGSTfz_4

Pretty much everything by the hot club of San Francisco is sensational

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3XAoFBsSM&feature=related

Kottke doing some magic ... Atkins is god too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5oExc78IKE

Dickey Betts dancing in Blue Sky, IMHO this concert was a helluva concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1jpQu6qR1E

The reason why Fleetwood Mac was listenable the first place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoasUjXBkm8

For the die hard hammond fan (I am one myself) JD is really underrated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFcVaitADW8

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of what was playing on in my place today. will update more if this thread shifts musically :D

****. I am sucking some serious wind here. I'm two months into the three month block from hell. Imma gunna cut somebody or jump of the roof of the hospital (that'd show em!!!!)

I didn't work this hard as an intern. 21 more days and counting.

Anyone else pumped for tourney time, have a feeling this years tourney will be more nuts than usual craziness we get. The conference tournaments so far have been an absolute gem...

My final four picks: The top 8 teams are too dominant this year IMO to let outsiders get through

UNC
Ohio State
MSU
Kentucky

Last edited:
I think I've finally figured out how to write the perfect pulmonary consult note

1. Blame the heart
2. Blame bugs and/or drugs
3. Bring up rare disease that it could be but is not
4. Grudgingly admit it could be a lung problem
5. Recommend an inhaled medicine and or steroid
6. Agree with diuresis
7. Agree with sputum cultures
8. Refuse to bronch

Last edited:
I think I've finally figured out how to write the perfect pulmonary consult note

1. Blame the heart
6. Agree with diuresis
8. Refuse to bronch

Right on :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Seriously. Follow that format and it's hard to go wrong. It's very important to blame the heart first and foremost. The best way to get off of a case is to make the problem someone else's problem ;)

I shall brainstorm to concoct similar devious formats that serve the feeble and the meek (i.e. interns).

:D

So update - I think Puerto Rico is gonna be the vacay spot...i found a place on some old deserted navy bombing site. IPF here I come.

So update - I think Puerto Rico is gonna be the vacay spot...i found a place on some old deserted navy bombing site. IPF here I come.

Come on guys, don't miss the forest for trees. The point is they have an active forum. We may choose not to engage in conspiracy theory if you like, but let's engage in something.

Tell me about the last good book you read. I literally keep a list. Some I actually read, and others I get on audible.com, but I like good lit.

awww......so i just orderd "house of God"...so many attendings have made refrences to this book so i thought i would check it during my down time....so i open the first chapter and i almost choked on my coffee..something about penises and getting screwd..lol....

i really loved a thread in the anesthesia forum about a difficult real life "what would you do" scenario while as an intern.....that would be really fun and hopefully stimulate discussion?

After spending almost a year with EPIC, I'd rather go back to hand writing notes. I'm serious.

I hear ya. I could never understand how no one else around this place (that I've talked to at least) seems to feel the same about EPIC. I disliked it from day one and hate it even more now. Although I don't think I could ever go back to paper charting, I can't imagine another EMR program being much worse. I saw a survey somewhere where they polled physicians on EMR preference, and amazingly, EPIC ranked at the top for the largest practice groups.

Why? We are about to transition at one of our hospitals.

It would be easier to say what there's to like about it. I REALLY don't like the inpatient EPIC EMR. If I were to use the analogy of Windows vs. Mac, EPIC would be Windows. Not very user-friendly, not intuitive (even for the computer literate), and it has a lot of redundancy and clutter. I have less of a problem with the ambulatory EPIC EMR, but have still seen better.

It would be easier to say what there's to like about it. I REALLY don't like the inpatient EPIC EMR. If I were to use the analogy of Windows vs. Mac, EPIC would be Windows. Not very user-friendly, not intuitive (even for the computer literate), and it has a lot of redundancy and clutter. I have less of a problem with the ambulatory EPIC EMR, but have still seen better.
So far during med school I've been through a number of hospitals using 3-4 different EMR systems as well as paper. EPIC (used at our main hospital) is decent, though it would be better if people's templates didn't include such huge amounts of redundant information. A lot of those tables could be easily compressed down.

The VA's system VISTA/CPRS is actually decent for notes, though a PITA to find the orders you're looking for half the time.

So far during med school I've been through a number of hospitals using 3-4 different EMR systems as well as paper. EPIC (used at our main hospital) is decent, though it would be better if people's templates didn't include such huge amounts of redundant information. A lot of those tables could be easily compressed down.
Agreed, but that's mostly people being idiots...and the lack of a "preview" function for dot-phrases in Epic. A lot of consultants (myself included) and a few primary services have gone to a note template where the A/P or Impression/Recs section is at the top of the note. That way the part you decided to read the note for is up front, while all the bulls**t billing stuff gets thrown to the bottom for the beancounters to slog through.

Honestly, I think that Epic gets a bad rap. I wouldn't call myself a huge fan but it does what I need it to do, is quite modular if you have the IT staff/cash to make it so and makes the notes I write quick and relatively painless. There are probably better EMRs for one purpose or another, but for an institution-wide solution, it's one of the best.

The VA's system VISTA/CPRS is actually decent for notes, though a PITA to find the orders you're looking for half the time.

If what you want to do is convey your thoughts on a particular patient to other caregivers, CPRS can't be beat. That should really be all that we give a s**t about but, unfortunately, the reality of the situation is much different.

For straight-up note writing, CPRS is the bomb. Simple, straightforward, solid.

For doing much else...you really need to be a power-user to make it bend to your will. The hospitalists at our VA are CPRS wizards who can make it perform amazing feats of strength and skill. For the rest of us..."labs, imaging, vitals, meds and a bunch of other random useless crap reviewed...see CPRS for details" will have to do.

So jdh, gutonc, and all you IM warriors, how do you guys see this healthcare bill affecting IM and sub-specialties if it gets shot down?

I just realized that this past weekend was my last call weekend as a fellow. The fact that I only had to round on 3 patients and got a grand total of 7 pages in 2 days makes it even better.

1. Blame the heart
6. Agree with diuresis
8. Refuse to bronch

:laugh:this made my day

So jdh, gutonc, and all you IM warriors, how do you guys see this healthcare bill affecting IM and sub-specialties if it gets shot down?

Guess I'm late getting back to this, but honestly, I don't know. Most of the act has not kicked in yet, supposed to get going in 2013 if I recall correctly, and if it gets shot down, I can't see how much changes from the way it is right now. And it's not entirely clear to me how much things will change if the act go forward. I am always suspicious of the government's interventions into the marketplace and I have an intuitive hunch things will end up worse for the wear, for both docs and patients, we probably just won't know until we've been in the thing for a solid 5-10 years. I don't know. If I think about all of it too much I find it depressing.

The real big problem hanging over the head of doctors and health care institutions are the medicare cuts they keep talking about but have not implemented as they keep kicking the can.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMimc1111913?query=BUL

so i just discovered these NEJM interactive cases, i dont know if I'm late but just wanted to share just in case. I just went through this particular case i posted above, it was very easy and fun to go through and I learnt so much. I am one of those people who learn better with intereactive cases etc.
Enjoy :)

I'm bumping this shiz because I can. Anyone who wants to fight me about it can meet me in the parking lot after work. I wouldn't call myself a tough-guy but I like my chances.

So, I will again attempt this for I think the third year in a row?? Maybe??

Topic.

Topic??

How about Diablo 3? I've been playing my way through this and loving it. I don't go ****** gamer like I did prior to residency. Which is interesting . . . I waiting on buying a video game or even a gaming system for years during residency and first year of fellowship because I was afraid I'd spend too much time gaming. Well now that I have a game, after 4 years of training, I'm able to play like just an hour at night and be done with it. Hell, I went on a long stretch of like two hours one weekend and then just stopped because . . . I was done. Nice. Anyway, the game's been fun. I don't understand all the D3 hate I've been hearing, especially those who say, "it's nothing like D2!!" - are any of you even old enough to actually remember D2?? That was like 10+ years ago and D3 is EXACTLY like D2.

So anyone playing D3? Or anything new or cool??

I mean if you really want to talk about first person shooters, fine, but come on guys . . .

I mean if you really want to talk about first person shooters, fine, but come on guys . . .

I haven't yet bought D3 because my hardware is not up to par and I want to enjoy it in high detail, but I'm looking forward to it in the future. Sorry for switching the topic to FPSs, but I just recently installed the new TF2 update and I have to say the new Mann vs Machine mode is a LOT of fun!

I haven't yet bought D3 because my hardware is not up to par and I want to enjoy it in high detail, but I'm looking forward to it in the future. Sorry for switching the topic to FPSs, but I just recently installed the new TF2 update and I have to say the new Mann vs Machine mode is a LOT of fun!

That actually looks like fun.

Does anyone remember TimeSplitters??

Will be starting a Werewolf (WW) game in the Lounge (aka the Wolf's Den) if anyone is interested.

Look for the sign up thread. Would be a nice time killer for a 4th year not on a clinical rotation.

Those unfamiliar with WW check out some wiki . . .

How about Diablo 3? I've been playing my way through this and loving it. I don't go ****** gamer like I did prior to residency. Which is interesting . . . I waiting on buying a video game or even a gaming system for years during residency and first year of fellowship because I was afraid I'd spend too much time gaming. Well now that I have a game, after 4 years of training, I'm able to play like just an hour at night and be done with it. Hell, I went on a long stretch of like two hours one weekend and then just stopped because . . . I was done. Nice. Anyway, the game's been fun. I don't understand all the D3 hate I've been hearing, especially those who say, "it's nothing like D2!!" - are any of you even old enough to actually remember D2?? That was like 10+ years ago and D3 is EXACTLY like D2.

I had two months off since 4th year has started and decided to get D3. I had been looking forward to it for years now. I like it about the same as the second one. The graphics are better but pretty much the same quests and story lines. Not sure why everyone is bitchin about having to be online for it. EVERY computer has a fast internet connection nowadays so thats really a non issue. Although I have hit a wall now that I am in hell mode and I'm taking step 2 this week and starting my AI on monday. I'm like you now though. I can play for an hour and then call it quits. Back in college in my halo days I'd have to play for atleast 10 hours straight, so I think I'm finally getting some control on video games:thumbup:.

I had two months off since 4th year has started and decided to get D3. I had been looking forward to it for years now. I like it about the same as the second one. The graphics are better but pretty much the same quests and story lines. Not sure why everyone is bitchin about having to be online for it. EVERY computer has a fast internet connection nowadays so thats really a non issue. Although I have hit a wall now that I am in hell mode and I'm taking step 2 this week and starting my AI on monday. I'm like you now though. I can play for an hour and then call it quits. Back in college in my halo days I'd have to play for atleast 10 hours straight, so I think I'm finally getting some control on video games:thumbup:.

As soon as I take Step 2, I'm buying D3. That's my reward to myself. :)

I haven't played video games in I can't remember how long. I do however cook. And bake. Very very well. And am helping my daughter rebuild a car. Hopefully next month i can afford a new front axle for her little vw bug.

Should I hang out in the cities/towns during my interviews for a few days? I'm off for two months and Ive already spent the money. Was thinking about including the SO as well for a few.

Should I hang out in the cities/towns during my interviews for a few days? I'm off for two months and Ive already spent the money. Was thinking about including the SO as well for a few.

That's a great idea if you can swing the time and the cash. My wife came with me to most of the interviews and it was great to get her take on the whole thing.

You will probably try to group interviews on a geographic basis anyway, but one of my favorites was scheduling in the same area on either side of a weekend, so that you could enjoy the relatively local stuff on the weekend.

Basically, if you're paying to travel all the way to Northern California, why not take the time to hit up Napa?

h
You will probably try to group interviews on a geographic basis anyway, but one of my favorites was scheduling in the same area on either side of a weekend, so that you could enjoy the relatively local stuff on the weekend.

Basically, if you're paying to travel all the way to Northern California, why not take the time to hit up Napa?

Yeah that's the same my advisor told me this week. He said to get 2-3 in a week if I could and just rent a car and drive everywhere. Makes sense, roadtrips are awesome:idea::thumbup: anyone else planning to do this/have done it?

Sorry jdh, I know we're not supposed to talk interviews