The Official 2015-2016 Underdawgs Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @OsteopathicHopeful for coming up with this idea!

This thread is meant to help each other through secondaries, interviews, and beyond I want us to be able to post anything and have similar individuals comment and provide feedback.

It is is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well.

Below is to help those who are applying this year with the new MCAT scoring system (the following assumptions are considered hypothetical as scoring scales vary from test date to test date):

Based on a hypothetical chart showing old (before 2015) MCAT conversions between the estimated scale score (1-15) and the percentiles of each of those scores (0-100), the 50th percentile is a composite score of around 25. So one could consider the individual scores within Verbal Reasoning, Biological Sciences, and Physical Sciences of 7-8 to be around the 50th percentile as well. So thus we can consider underdawgs to have a composite score that is below the 50th percentile (or around a 24).

So with that in mind, we can consider the 2015MCAT composite score of 500 to be the 50th percentile. So scores below 500 could be considered "underdawg" range (or individual scores below 125).....again, this is VERY hypothetical as percentiles vary slightly across test dates).

Perhaps the most difficult of having OK academic stats is getting through the primary and secondary screens to land and interview. In many cases, an interview is a subliminal message from the school that they believe you can succeed in the preclinical and clinical curriculum of medical school.

If you feel any additional information can be added to help those in this situation feel free to PM me or any of the other pre-DO mods.

Previous Underdog Threads:
2014-2015 Underdawgs Thread
2013-2014 Underdog results
Extension of Underdogs Thread MCAT 24 or less

Best of luck to you gals/guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I was wondering if anybody had any advice for someone who technically can't participate in grade replacement because my original undergrad uses more credits than any school in my area. It seems that with all the averaging, the highest GPA I could get would be a 3.0. Would adcoms be able to see my upward trend?

Can we also post an Official 2015 Applicants thread by any chance? With stats, schools applied to, secondaries, IIs, acceptances, etc. like was done for this year?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it was basically this

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

If you want to just edit it into the main post. I know in the past there have been a few of these where a mod/forum member kept up with people and their updates manually, but that's a lot of work.

Starting it off I suppose

3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration

PremedOfTheSouth: 3.05/2.85 (should both be above 3.0 after this semester but I'm not changing it until it's for sure)/26(8/10/8)(re-taking)////Military & URM

I was wondering if anybody had any advice for someone who technically can't participate in grade replacement because my original undergrad uses more credits than any school in my area. It seems that with all the averaging, the highest GPA I could get would be a 3.0. Would adcoms be able to see my upward trend?
Yes, they will see and appreciate your upward trend. The best thing you can do to maximize your chances is to have your application submitted as early as possible. Can't emphasize enough how important that is!

5) Click "Post Reply"

FloresMD: 3.65/3.55/ 23: (7PS/6PS/10BS)/ / / / URM (hispanic)

PremedOfTheSouth
: 3.05/2.85 (should both be above 3.0 after this semester but I'm not changing it until it's for sure)/26(8/10/8)(re-taking)////Military & URM

5) Click "Post Reply"

PremedOfTheSouth
: 3.05/2.85 (should both be above 3.0 after this semester but I'm not changing it until it's for sure)/26(8/10/8)(re-taking)////Military & URM

PerseveranceJoe: 3.50/3.30/30

An exception should be made for those who have both 24-26 MCAT and 3.0-3.3 GPA. These people have just as hard of a time during the cycle, even with a somewhat early app.

Reactions: 1 users
What counts as an underdawg? I am flattered, but my sGPA is very low.

(Never mind just found out)

Last edited:
An exception should be made for those who have both 24-26 MCAT and 3.0-3.3 GPA. These people have just as hard of a time during the cycle, even with a somewhat early app.
I think a 3.2-3.3/24-25, plus an early and broad (20+ schools) application will most likely land an acceptance somewhere unless there is something very amiss in the app.

For anyone sitting at 3.2-3.3/24-25 or higher, the cycle is "yours to lose" IMO...

Members don't see this ad :)
You should add links to the other underdog threads from the past. The original thread was a thing of beauty. It got me through the application season (I was one the originals). I think seeing other people's success story's might provide some inspiration to this year's underdogs.

Reactions: 5 users

5) Click "Post Reply"

PremedOfTheSouth: 3.05/2.85 (should both be above 3.0 after this semester but I'm not changing it until it's for sure)/26(8/10/8)(re-taking)////Military & URM
^ Thank you for your service, sir/ma'am.

You should add links to the other underdog threads from the past. The original thread was a thing of beauty. It got me through the application season (I was one the originals). I think seeing other people's success story's might provide some inspiration to this year's underdogs.

I added the three most recent underdog threads. If you think there are others that are useful feel free to PM me the link!

Hey guys I need some advice. I graduated with a 2.0 sGPA 2.6 cGPA 2 years ago. Over past year i've retaken a bunch of classes and got the sGPA up to a 3.08 and cGPA to a 3.2. MCAT score 28 (11/8/9). 3.95 GPA of over 45 units over the past year including upper division bio classes. I feel my MCAT is competitive with a few of the DO schools but my GPA is still on the low side. I have over 1.5 years of hospital work experience with 200 + DO and MD shadowing. Good letters, some research no publications, 500 volunteer hours at free clinic.

Based on the above stats what do I do next? I am thinking about applying to both post-bacc and DO schools but I am overwhelmed by the amount of things I need to go through. I applied to VCOM's post-bacc so far but the program is right between when I would be applying to schools. Do I apply to more post-baccs or go all in with applications for 2015-2016 yr?

I think a 3.2-3.3/24-25, plus an early and broad (20+ schools) application will most likely land an acceptance somewhere unless there is something very amiss in the app.

For anyone sitting at 3.2-3.3/24-25 or higher, the cycle is "yours to lose" IMO...

Not saying this isn't true, but from previous underdog threads the ones that do really well either have a 28+ MCAT or 3.6 GPA (science and cumulative). The amount of interviews they get exceed the ones a person with a 24 MCAT/3.2 GPA get more often than not.

5) Click "Post Reply"

Endorphins98: 3.53/3.56/25

PremedOfTheSouth

The THIRD sentence in the first post states the following:

"It is is reserved for those w/ less than a 24 MCAT or less than 3.25 sGPA or cGPA. It can be either of those particulars, or both. Additionally, I would consider those that have 6 or below within a subsection of the MCAT to be within the underdawg range as well."

@Endorphins98 and @PerseveranceJoe

Put your guys' info in the 2015 Applicants thread. You guys are NOT UNDERDOGS.

5) Click "Post Reply"

PremedOfTheSouth

RTchill: 2.95/2.90/34: (10/12/12)//// URM

5) Click "Post Reply"

PremedOfTheSouth

Shammyguy3: 3.49/3.18/25 (8/8/9)

What counts as an underdawg? I am flattered, but my sGPA is very low.

(Never mind just found out)
At the least, I would say 3.00/3.00/27 or better should not be considered an underdog.

FWIW, I have seen numerous people get in with ~3.0 sgpa's and 24-26 MCAT to the newer schools.

Oops. Misread the MCAT cutoff. Good luck to all!!

Hi I was wondering if someone can give me advice Im currently a sophomore planning for ostepatic med and I received a D in biostats one really hard class for me as well as a C- in bio2 and C in calc other classes I have received B+ or higher I'm going to increase my grades now bc I had a rough start in the first two semester s and try to get in. Also I already started studying for mcat so I can hopefully look for a great score on that. I'm starting volunteer work this summer research next semester and shadowing with a surgeon also this summer I am currently making my CV to collect what I have done since freshmen year. My advisor believes I have no chance do you think I can pull it off? I know I have to make up for the two struggling semesters but as of right now my cumulative is 2.7 I know by the end of this years grades I can be at 3.0 I will definitely raise it. I understand I have an uphill battle but I want to believe o have that chance so I can work really hard and do my best. So please comment your opinion.

Hi I was wondering if someone can give me advice Im currently a sophomore planning for ostepatic med and I received a D in biostats one really hard class for me as well as a C- in bio2 and C in calc other classes I have received B+ or higher I'm going to increase my grades now bc I had a rough start in the first two semester s and try to get in. Also I already started studying for mcat so I can hopefully look for a great score on that. I'm starting volunteer work this summer research next semester and shadowing with a surgeon also this summer I am currently making my CV to collect what I have done since freshmen year. My advisor believes I have no chance do you think I can pull it off? I know I have to make up for the two struggling semesters but as of right now my cumulative is 2.7 I know by the end of this years grades I can be at 3.0 I will definitely raise it. I understand I have an uphill battle but I want to believe o have that chance so I can work really hard and do my best. So please comment your opinion.

Assuming this isn't an April's fool joke, here are my advices:
1) Don't go to your adviser again. This person has no support for you whatsoever. Instead, you can always go to SDN, post a thread, and ask questions. There are adcoms here can help you or you can privately PM them.
2) Believe in yourself that you can pull it off. Retake all of classes that you have C, D, F. Those new grades will replace the old ones in AACOMAS.
3) Try to bring your GPA & sGPA as high as possible, prefer 3.4+
4) When are you planning to apply? Study the MCAT right now may not do you any good since you might forget all the materials. Instead, you should've spent time focusing on your classes and bring the GPA up.
5) Since you're planning for DO, go shadow a DO. You will need a LOR from a DO when you apply.

Thank you. I won't visit her. Instead of studying ill incorporate my mcat material in my chem,socio,and Psyc classes also I'm only allowed to retake one course should I retake the C- in bio2 or the D in biostats (I dont have an F) just the other Cs in calc(which I'll be taking another calc class so it would just add to my science GPA) and as said above Bio and for aacomas they really replace it or average the grade? I'm planning to take mcat in spring 2016 so applying right after that! Possibly may then.

Thank you. I won't visit her. Instead of studying ill incorporate my mcat material in my chem,socio,and Psyc classes also I'm only allowed to retake one course should I retake the C- in bio2 or the D in biostats (I dont have an F) just the other Cs in calc(which I'll be taking another calc class so it would just add to my science GPA) and as said above Bio and for aacomas they really replace it or average the grade? I'm planning to take mcat in spring 2016 so applying right after that! Possibly may then.

AACOMAS doesn't include math in your science GPA. I suggest retaking all classes you have a C or lower in. Your GPA will rise over time. If you have to delay graduation by a year then so be it.. or look into a CC or post bacc nearby that you can retake your classes and ACE THEM if your undergad doesn't allow you to retake courses you got a C- or better in. Study for the MCAT when you are ready because that exam is a whole different beast. Apply once you have a solid app and don't worry about rushing things. This process takes time but if you want it bad enough then you'll do it.

You'll be fine habibi! chill out and study hard and take school seriously. Don't try to do too many things at once. Now get off sdn and go study!

Can I take a different same level calculus class to show I improved, same for bio if I take molecular bio and receive an A to show I can do well in these courses? If I'm unable to retake in a community college or at my university? Thanks again.

in order for the course to replace, the new course must be a similar title and cover similar material AND must be the SAME or GREATER amount of credit.

Ex) I took 3 unit O-chem lecture. Got a D. Took the same O-chem course somewhere else for 4 units and got an A.
Thus... that A will replace the C.

Retakes are quicker in raising your GPA.

However, still do well in your upper division courses too.

And don't forget the MCAT. and don't forget solid ECs.

There are many pieces to an app so take them on one at a time.

Is it then for allopathic med schools where they average your grades? Bc my teacher told me if u retake let's say the same course they will average your new grade with the old one. So if I get an A in bio stat and previously had a D my average would be a C...

Is it then for allopathic med schools where they average your grades? Bc my teacher told me if u retake let's say the same course they will average your new grade with the old one. So if I get an A in bio stat and previously had a D my average would be a C...

That average thing is for AMCAS. You'll apply to DO schools through AACOMAS. It has grade replacement, so that new A in bio stat will replace the D. I think your adviser did a terrible job since it looks like you don't know much. If you retake the same course at another institution, you will be required to send both transcripts to the AACOMAS. Furthermore, you may you delay your MCAT if you're planning take it next year. The MCAT is arguably harder than your college science classes. Also you may want to take ochem, physics, gen chem, psychology, and some upper division bio courses if you haven't take them. They will help you on the MCAT.

You say well my advisor didn't know anything she had to ask her colleagues who also then gave her false information about course retaking. Okay that's good. That being said should I use my one and only pass to fix the D or the C- ? I would say D I'm guessing... I'm taking ochem this summer I have had upper level psychology classes and gen chem. Physics, biochem,and genetics I'll be taking this coming fall

College advisors are some of the crappiest advisors ever. Actually, the ONLY good advisor I had was at a CC who helped me transfer in no time. However, when it comes to med school, I turned to SDN and it had helped me immensely. We'll see this summer if the advice pays off.

Thank you both for your help in clearing some information I feel a little bit relieved I'm definitely going to work harder now :)

5) Click "Post Reply"

FemmeGoBlue: 3.1/2.8/ MCAT May 22

PremedOfTheSouth

Shammyguy3: 3.49/3.18/25 (8/8/9)[/QUOTE]

5) Click "Post Reply"

ClassicJandT: 3.13/3.68/31(11 PS/10 VR/ 10 BS)////10+ withdrawals, third time reapplicant

5) Click "Post Reply"

ClassicJandT: 3.13/3.68/31(11 PS/10 VR/ 10 BS)////10+ withdrawals, third time reapplicant

Last edited:
5) Click "Post Reply"

HV92: 3.36/3.45/MCAT 27
[/QUOTE]

HV92, you're not considered an underdog bud. You may want to move over to general applicant thread.

l

Last edited:
5) Click "Post Reply"

ahawke100: 3.8x/3.8x/25 (9 PS/ 6 VR/ 10 BS)

Not an underdog imo but ok

5) Click "Post Reply"

PhillyBoy22: 3.30/3.10/ 29 (9/9/11)

Good luck to you guys. I had a 3.6 and 24. 1 acceptance (LMU) and 3 wait lists( MUCOM, CMU, MSUCOM). Hoping to get off one of those wait lists (come on MSUCOM!) but I'm happy I got in and DCOM is an awesome school.

My biggest advice is be patient. I was freaking out in October, thinking I would have to apply to podiatry school but the ii's and acceptance came. Also go thru your AACOMAS write ups a million times, have others read it. If it doesn't sound impressive, but in a simple/efficient manor, rewrite it. When I went back thru my stuff for my second cycle, I was appalled at how crappily I had described my activities and such. Start your personal statements now, do a million drafts, really try to convey what you want to do and why.

Just a quick example...

First cycle: tutor - I worked as a tutor for a number of biology courses and some chemistry along with technology use. (That's seriously all I wrote)

Second cycle: I worked as a tutor for the following classes
Bio111 organismal bio
Bio113 principles of bio...
Etc

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to you guys. I had a 3.6 and 24. 1 acceptance (LMU) and 3 wait lists( MUCOM, CMU, MSUCOM). Hoping to get off one of those wait lists (come on MSUCOM!) but I'm happy I got in and DCOM is an awesome school.

My biggest advice is be patient. I was freaking out in October, thinking I would have to apply to podiatry school but the ii's and acceptance came. Also go thru your AACOMAS write ups a million times, have others read it. If it doesn't sound impressive, but in a simple/efficient manor, rewrite it. When I went back thru my stuff for my second cycle, I was appalled at how crappily I had described my activities and such. Start your personal statements now, do a million drafts, really try to convey what you want to do and why.

Just a quick example...

First cycle: tutor - I worked as a tutor for a number of biology courses and some chemistry along with technology use. (That's seriously all I wrote)

Second cycle: I worked as a tutor for the following classes
Bio111 organismal bio
Bio113 principles of bio...
Etc
Thanks for the tips! I'm starting my personal statement tomorrow. How many drafts did you do for your PS?

Thanks for the tips! I'm starting my personal statement tomorrow. How many drafts did you do for your PS?

I know more than 10 for sure. It took me forever just to stick to one topic/main idea. After I got that down, I wrote down all my ideas, not worrying about word count. After that I trimmed it down and added/removed stuff based on suggestions from reviewers.

I mustve done the same as shinobiz11 in terms of # of times I rewrote my personal statement. Over hte course of a year I probably rewrote it 10 times as well.

5) Click "Post Reply"

becomingdoctor: 3.5/3.6/3.9(grad)/31 (5 on verbal). 3.8+GPA for last four years.

5) Click "Post Reply"

becomingdoctor: 3.5/3.6/3.9(grad)/31 (5 on verbal). 3.8+GPA for last four years.
MarshMedic: 3.37/3.2 27 (8/10/9)