The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Did you notice a difference between Kaplan and TPR coverage of content?

I'm wondering how in depth we need to know certain things (Erikson's 8 stages)?
It's important to know how to apply Kohlberg's and Erikson's developmental concepts to questions! I'd memorized them countless times but completely failed to connect them to the passages when asked.

Thanks guys :shy: Definitely a confidence-booster, but it ain't over 'till it's over...

Would you mind sharing a brief overview of how you prepped (how long, with what, etc.) and your academic background in the related topics coming into this? I'm sure a lot of people will find it helpful since there aren't many good practice materials available, some of this is trial-and-error with what works for the new test and it seems like your strategies and prep worked!

Sure thing. I'm a nontrad; I did humanities/social studies in undergrad and took some chem and stats, but no bio, physics, psych, or soc. I started a postbac knowing that a) I'd be taking the MCAT within a year and hopefully applying immediately afterward, and b) I wouldn't be able to take time off from school or work to prep full-time. So my goals were:
1. retain what I learned in my prereq courses so I didn't have to waste time relearning things
2. start studying ridiculously early and do a little bit every day (~2 hrs/day over 9 months rather than ~8 hrs/day over 2-3 months)

Retaining material from prereqs: Anki, Anki, Anki. I have about 12,000 cards in Anki from my prereqs and have been reviewing consistently since the courses ended. Right when I started the postbac I also signed up for two MCAT "question of the day" emails -- at first almost none of the questions made sense, but it was a good way to keep an eye on the goal.

Prep books: I started studying with the PR MCAT 2015 prep books when they came out in August -- a chapter a week during the term, a chapter a day during school breaks. I read for info that wasn't covered in my prereq courses, write it down in a notebook, and make flashcards from the notes. After learning all of the flashcards from a chapter, I go back and do the questions and passage at the end.

Practice passages: Initially I used passages from Khan Academy, because those are free and plentiful. They are nothing like the actual exam, but they help to identify what you don't know, and it's easy to pull up a video to review. After a month or two of that I switched to the AAMC practice packs to get used to the tone of the actual exam. I do as many passages as possible in 60 minutes, then spend half an hour or so reviewing the wrong answers. I keep a spreadsheet to track how long each passage took, the percent of questions that I got right, and which topics tripped me up.

Practice exams: I've done the free sample exams from Kaplan and NS, the three TPR exams that come with the books, and the AAMC FL (was going to do the free Altius exam later this week, but at this point a loooong nap might be higher-yield...) For wrong answers, I make a flashcard with the question and the explanation of the answer. I try to focus these on concepts or reasoning skills that are broadly relevant, rather than the specifics of that question.

As a side note -- I've spent about $215 on materials (add the registration fee, subtract the gift card for taking it in April...). People kept telling me I was crazy to try to tackle the MCAT without taking a prep course. If you're starting out with decent test-taking skills and have the motivation to stick to a study schedule, you do not need to spend thousands of dollars on a prep course in order to be well-prepared for this exam.

Reactions: 12 users
  • For psych/soc, understanding research design is very high-yield: how would changing a variable affect what a study is testing, identifying methodological limitations and different types of bias, etc. I haven't seen particularly thorough coverage of this stuff in any prep book; it would probably pay off to spend half an hour skimming through the research design chapter of a stats textbook.

tl;dr If you have only taken practice tests from TPR and Kaplan and are panicking about your score, drop everything and take the AAMC FL! You will feel better! (Unless you don't know the amino acids yet... in which case, drop everything and learn the amino acids, then take the AAMC test.)
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks so much for the feedback. What do you mean by "methodological limitations "? I have the Kaplan book, couldn't really find anything.. might have to take your advice on a stats textbook or something.

Also, did you memorize all the tiny bits details, for example, in the cellular respiration chapter (such as the steps of glycolysis). Or the parts of the brain, for example "hindbrain is divided into metencephalon and myelencephalon"? Those tiny details always make me feel super overwhelmed, esp since i haven't taken a psych course in a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that's awesome! What do you mean by "methodological limitations "? I have the Kaplan book, couldn't really find anything.. might have to take your advice on a stats textbook or something.
The kaplan physics and math book has a chapter dedicated to experimental design and execution of research. I haven't dove into it yet but just skimming through it, it seems pretty solid

So I took the AAMC 2015 sample test today:

PS: 78%
CARS: 85%
BS: 78%
Psych: 78%

Overall: 79.75 %

Not sure how to feel about these scores...I feel I got lucky and I'm really afraid the real MCAT will be much harder :(

As a side note -- I've spent about $215 on materials (add the registration fee, subtract the gift card for taking it in April...). People kept telling me I was crazy to try to tackle the MCAT without taking a prep course. If you're starting out with decent test-taking skills and have the motivation to stick to a study schedule, you do not need to spend thousands of dollars on a prep course in order to be well-prepared for this exam.

I feel a bit bad for people that spent thousands of dollars on a course. Not to say it's a waste of money, but as we've seen, the prep companies and their practice exams have been giving pretty poor predictors of score (at least compared to the AAMC FL). Maybe 5 or 6 years down the road when the prep companies catch up it would be more useful, but as of now it seems like a course isn't as valuable as it's been in the past.

Wow you guys are nailing the beast! And seems like most of you got really great scores for CARS!

I'm really afraid of CARS/ verbal reasoning though..because this is the reason why I have been retaking my test. Any tips to share on how to do well for this section?

I feel a bit bad for people that spent thousands of dollars on a course. Not to say it's a waste of money, but as we've seen, the prep companies and their practice exams have been giving pretty poor predictors of score (at least compared to the AAMC FL). Maybe 5 or 6 years down the road when the prep companies catch up it would be more useful, but as of now it seems like a course isn't as valuable as it's been in the past.
Are you making this assessment based solely on the fact that peoples Kaplan scores seem to be much lower than their AAMC scores, or is there something else? IMO, those who are taking practice tests that are seemingly more difficult than the real thing will be BETTER prepared come test day (assuming they are learning something from the extra hard practice tests)...

Are you making this assessment based solely on the fact that peoples Kaplan scores seem to be much lower than their AAMC scores, or is there something else? IMO, those who are taking practice tests that are seemingly more difficult than the real thing will be BETTER prepared come test day (assuming they are learning something from the extra hard practice tests)...

No, I think most of us agree that its more than just the fact that they are harder, they really just don't capture the feel of the sample test. When we've taken AAMC versus test prep stuff, the reasoning behind choices, the too much detailed/recall focus versus dissecting passages/conceptual applications is very noticeable.

I'm going to have to disagree. I paid for a Kaplan course and while their FLs are definitely harder than the AAMC, I have had 24/7 access to live classes 7 days a week on very high yield topics, books and videos, tutoring on how to take the MCAT (strategy) as well as a really great teacher! Definitely worth it!

Thanks guys :shy: Definitely a confidence-booster, but it ain't over 'till it's over...

Sure thing. I'm a nontrad; I did humanities/social studies in undergrad and took some chem and stats, but no bio, physics, psych, or soc. I started a postbac knowing that a) I'd be taking the MCAT within a year and hopefully applying immediately afterward, and b) I wouldn't be able to take time off from school or work to prep full-time. So my goals were:
1. retain what I learned in my prereq courses so I didn't have to waste time relearning things
2. start studying ridiculously early and do a little bit every day (~2 hrs/day over 9 months rather than ~8 hrs/day over 2-3 months)

Retaining material from prereqs: Anki, Anki, Anki. I have about 12,000 cards in Anki from my prereqs and have been reviewing consistently since the courses ended. Right when I started the postbac I also signed up for two MCAT "question of the day" emails -- at first almost none of the questions made sense, but it was a good way to keep an eye on the goal.

Prep books: I started studying with the PR MCAT 2015 prep books when they came out in August -- a chapter a week during the term, a chapter a day during school breaks. I read for info that wasn't covered in my prereq courses, write it down in a notebook, and make flashcards from the notes. After learning all of the flashcards from a chapter, I go back and do the questions and passage at the end.

Practice passages: Initially I used passages from Khan Academy, because those are free and plentiful. They are nothing like the actual exam, but they help to identify what you don't know, and it's easy to pull up a video to review. After a month or two of that I switched to the AAMC practice packs to get used to the tone of the actual exam. I do as many passages as possible in 60 minutes, then spend half an hour or so reviewing the wrong answers. I keep a spreadsheet to track how long each passage took, the percent of questions that I got right, and which topics tripped me up.

Practice exams: I've done the free sample exams from Kaplan and NS, the three TPR exams that come with the books, and the AAMC FL (was going to do the free Altius exam later this week, but at this point a loooong nap might be higher-yield...) For wrong answers, I make a flashcard with the question and the explanation of the answer. I try to focus these on concepts or reasoning skills that are broadly relevant, rather than the specifics of that question.

Thanks so much for doing this :) very helpful. I have a similar background to you, so it's nice to know that you don't have to have this enormous science background to do well on this!

No, I think most of us agree that its more than just the fact that they are harder, they really just don't capture the feel of the sample test. When we've taken AAMC versus test prep stuff, the reasoning behind choices, the too much detailed/recall focus versus dissecting passages/conceptual applications is very noticeable.
This is what I've said before and I wholeheartedly agree with it.
I'm going to have to disagree. I paid for a Kaplan course and while their FLs are definitely harder than the AAMC, I have had 24/7 access to live classes 7 days a week on very high yield topics, books and videos, tutoring on how to take the MCAT (strategy) as well as a really great teacher! Definitely worth it!
If your goal is to learn the material, a course will be helpful. But I still think that a smart and dedicated student is capable of learning what material needs to be learned via college classes and dedicated self study time. If your goal is to learn the test, (IMO) the prep companies are not worth the thousands of dollars you spend- and I think this should be evident by the dissimilarity from the AAMC test and the strange scores that everyone has been getting on their practice exams.
Hey, if you think that 24/7 access, classes, videos was necessary and worth it for you, it isn't my place to disagree. For me, the prep companies would need to come up with more than review videos and practice tests of "what they think the new MCAT will be like" to get me to drop that kinda dough.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't like running 10 miles in preparation for a 2 mile race. It's like learning to play soccer to prepare you for a tennis match. Sure may be in shape, but it's a whole different sport

There are some interesting observations here and I'd to offer my two cents, for what it's worth.

I was fortunate enough to win a free Kaplan course through a raffle in a pre-med club at my school. I worked 40 hrs/week in college and there's no way I could have ever afforded this course at sticker price. I have used the Kaplan books to review material but nothing else from Kaplan. Actually, I took a diagnostic and 1 FL but didn't even review them because the questions were so awful and daunting. After using AAMC materials (old and new), I've realized that there are high yield topics that you absolutely have to know, and these were not made clear to me from Kaplan materials. I think AAMC emphasizes difference concepts than Kaplan. After using AAMC materials, I've got those high yield facts down cold and my scores have improved significantly just from mastering those major concepts and fine-tuning others, as well as developing skills needed to answer passage-based questions. Knowing what I know now, I would have NEVER purchased a Kaplan course, not even for $200.

If people are reading this thread for guidance on whether or not to buy a course, I would say not to. It would have caused immense financial stress for me for nothing in return. Instead, purchase a set of prep books (used online) and the AAMC materials. Additionally, Khan is pretty decent for being free and prep companies offer free diagnostics. There are also YouTube videos to explain pretty much all major processes, which are also obviously free.

Sorry for the lengthy post! It bothers me that these companies profit so much off poor college students. Honestly, I'm really happy that they all seem to have dropped the ball for the new MCAT and that the new test appears to be offering more of an equal playing field for students that can't afford private tutoring and all that jazz.

Last edited:
So I just took the AAMC Sample test and got these scores:
Chem/Phys: 63%
CARS: 83%
BIO: 76%
Psych: 73%

I haven't really been following what everyone else has been getting, so I was wondering how these scores looked? I've been busy with classes so not nearly as much prep as I would have liked.

To the people who have taken the aamc exam, how does it compare to the old retired aamc exam? Especially the physical and chem section?

To the people who have taken the aamc exam, how does it compare to the old retired aamc exam? Especially the physical and chem section?

I don't have much of a comparison, but I took one of the newer/harder old aamc (#10) last week out of desperation for more aamc practice, but it felt very, very different. In general, new test seemed better written--I guess because there are clear connections between medicine and questions, whereas on the old exam there were more minute details of pointless phenomenon in physics especially, and some chem. bio was easier on aamc 10 then the sample test for me, but i think that related to the fact that I'm very good at bio but have learned biochem (heavy on the new test) just through self-study and have yet taken the class. physics equations seemed comparable, but like i said--there were a ton of useless physics on the old exam. I did better on chem in the old test, but again i think that's because there is not much prep available in biochem (weaker for me) and thats not on the old test. the other thing is that there more time per passage/question on the new test, so thats nice. again though, its silly to sit and compare because no one really knows yet, and at best can offer unreliable anecdotal evidence.

IMG_1318.PNG

Reactions: 16 users
^^hahaha! Exactly how I feel. I honestly don't know what to do with the next 5 days. I took the whole weekend off and I'm actually excited for Friday, it's going to be all over soon!

^^hahaha! Exactly how I feel. I honestly don't know what to do with the next 5 days. I took the whole weekend off and I'm actually excited for Friday, it's going to be all over soon!
I'm glad to hear that others are kind of taking it easy. I have been as well, studying but not vigorously because I'm burnin out, and I'm hoping its not a bad thing that I'm not utilizing every moment. But at the same time, doing nothing gives me anxiety too so I have just been kind of 60% effort studying...

How in depth would guys say Metabolism/Respiration is on the sample test/question pack/Khan Passages? (For those who have studied with that material.) Khan videos are very superficial but, Kaplan is super detailed on the content.

Those who I talked to told me to go into the MCAT with no backup test date.
thanks for the support! I hope I don't have to take again. Few days away now. I was really nervous last week, but got to bed earlier than my usual and reviewing concepts.

Anyone taking anymore practice tests before the real test? I was considering taking another tomorrow, but a half practice test rather than all-day is probably a better idea for me at this point.

thanks for the support! I hope I don't have to take again. Few days away now. I was really nervous last week, but got to bed earlier than my usual and reviewing concepts.

Anyone taking anymore practice tests before the real test? I was considering taking another tomorrow, but a half practice test rather than all-day is probably a better idea for me at this point.
I think I'm going to do some untimed practice. At this point I really don't want to wear myself down doing timed tests. Definitely not doing anymore all day marathons :p

After using AAMC materials (old and new), I've realized that there are high yield topics that you absolutely have to know, and these were not made clear to me from Kaplan materials. I think AAMC emphasizes difference concepts than Kaplan. After using AAMC materials, I've got those high yield facts down cold and my scores have improved significantly just from mastering those major concepts and fine-tuning others, as well as developing skills needed to answer passage-based questions. Knowing what I know now, I would have NEVER purchased a Kaplan course, not even for $200.

I completely second that. I took a prep course, and although I followed the homework schedule and assignments to the T, I didn't think it made me any more equipped to handle the AAMC sample test, unfortunately. Same with the question bank and seven Kaplan full lengths I took. What high yield topics do you think are most important? I feel like I"m still weak in physics and am worried there are some concepts I don't know.

I think I'm going to do some untimed practice. At this point I really don't want to wear myself down doing timed tests. Definitely not doing anymore all day marathons :p
So truee! I don't want to wear down my stamina and determination!

I feel like I"m still weak in physics and am worried there are some concepts I don't know.
Right there with you. Physics 2 concepts terrifies the crap outa me. Thankfully it looks like if you can remember the equations it won't be too bad. Who really knows though.

Lol physics just terrifies me overall...One of the main reason's I decided to wait and take the new MCAT was bc of the drastic reduction in the physics section...Though I have worked my butt off and will say I'm fairly proficient at physics now but still...And I have definitely been slacking a bit these past few days...I'm ready for the test and I know it, the OCD in me is making me continually review just so I don't forget any of the basic stuff come test day...

Did end up binging on all 4 of the leaked Game Of Thrones episodes yesterday though :) IMO this season is SLOWWW

Reactions: 3 users
Lol physics just terrifies me overall...One of the main reason's I decided to wait and take the new MCAT was bc of the drastic reduction in the physics section...Though I have worked my butt off and will say I'm fairly proficient at physics now but still...And I have definitely been slacking a bit these past few days...I'm ready for the test and I know it, the OCD in me is making me continually review just so I don't forget any of the basic stuff come test day...

Did end up binging on all 4 of the leaked Game Of Thrones episodes yesterday though :) IMO this season is SLOWWW

The 4 new episodes tempted me so much!! But I thought I was use as a treat post-Mcat!

Just doing some simple review. Memorize formulas and amino acids again. Review sample test and question packs also.

I'm really weak in any calculations required for physics and general chemistry, but conceptually I think okay in both. Gen chem is 1 semester at my school and you take it your freshman year, and I am in my 2nd gap year, so it's been a while since I've had to use calculations and it's difficult for me to memorize them all (because I hate them haha).

In terms of high yield, I think it's more in terms of how they test certain concepts rather than which concepts they test. For example, they test prokaryotes vs eukaryotes very heavily, but not in the way test prep companies test it or in a way most people probably notice. I've realized that if there's a passage about bacteria then there will almost always be a question that requires you to know it's prokaryotic and then to know what differs between pro vs euk to answer the question. It's the same for drugs that affect structures only in eukaryotic cells, and if you don't pay close attention to this then the questions seem like they're coming out of left field. Realizing this has made me read passages in a different way and answer questions more successfully, even though I haven't learned any additional material (still the same old pro vs euk facts).

The 4 new episodes tempted me so much!! But I thought I was use as a treat post-Mcat!

Just doing some simple review. Memorize formulas and amino acids again. Review sample test and question packs also.

Exactly what I'm doing.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/sproutcm/amino-acids-from-structures --> Great little game for the AA's

And unless the AAMC throws some serious curveballs, from what I've seen memorizing the formulas for physics and having basic knowledge on how to apply them is enough to be in good shape for a large majority of the questions that will be asked on the test. Also you better know your scientific notation cold!

Exactly what I'm doing.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/sproutcm/amino-acids-from-structures --> Great little game for the AA's

And unless the AAMC throws some serious curveballs, from what I've seen memorizing the formulas for physics and having basic knowledge on how to apply them is enough to be in good shape for a large majority of the questions that will be asked on the test. Also you better know your scientific notation cold!
Here's my hack from biochem class:
STCNQ = polar
GAPVLIM = nonpolar
KRH = positive
DE = negative
FYW = aromatic
got that clustering (ayoo psychology) - but i feel like it helps to learn them when you know which ones should be charged, polar, nonpolar, etc. Easier than memorizing each one individually imo

Going over the practice exam, I missed almost all of the ochem questions. I'm ochem illiterate or something.

My problem is that the old materials I have are not how they test it anymore. Is anyone else having trouble with this? Just me? Trying to problem solve this before Friday lol

Here's my hack from biochem class:
STCNQ = polar
GAPVLIM = nonpolar
KRH = positive
DE = negative
FYW = aromatic
got that clustering (ayoo psychology) - but i feel like it helps to learn them when you know which ones should be charged, polar, nonpolar, etc. Easier than memorizing each one individually imo

Yeah I got them babes all down pat at this point

quick questions for any of you who may know:
are we allowed to bring earplugs?
allowed to eat and drink during 15 min breaks or only during 30 min break?
how many people people are usually testing? i know that may vary by location

Great question because I use foam earplugs daily when studying and I want them during test day to just incase. They are gonna have to pry them outta my ears

I think you're allowed to bring an unopened package of your ear plugs, if you don't want to use the godawful noise cancelling headphones they provide. What I want to know is what the heck are we supposed to do during the lunch break? The temptation to review for the psych/soc section will be so strong.

Call your testing center, they will have all of those answers!

Most centers have earplugs.

Depends on the testing center, but all of my friends who have taken it said you are allowed an unopened package of the ear plugs. They provide large noise cancelling headsets but word on the street is they are uncomfortable as heck.

I think you're allowed to bring an unopened package of your ear plugs, if you don't want to use the godawful noise cancelling headphones they provide. What I want to know is what the heck are we supposed to do during the lunch break? The temptation to review for the psych/soc section will be so strong.
Also, I think that all breaks are food friendly, however my kaplan teacher said that its likely they won't allow you to have your phone during breaks (not sure how they will enforce this) and also notes / study materials are prohibited (once again don't know how they will enforce this) so I don't think any reviewing can happen.

Depends on the testing center, but all of my friends who have taken it said you are allowed an unopened package of the ear plugs. They provide large noise cancelling headsets but word on the street is they are uncomfortable as heck.

Also, I think that all breaks are food friendly, however my kaplan teacher said that its likely they won't allow you to have your phone during breaks (not sure how they will enforce this) and also notes / study materials are prohibited (once again don't know how they will enforce this) so I don't think any reviewing can happen.

The AAMC practice test let's you go through all of the rules that will be provided to you on test day. It says phones are not allowed during breaks. Also, last time I took the MCAT you couldn't leave the vicinity during breaks, so I bet the monitor pretty closely.

If they pat you down every time you enter the testing room, take your thumb prints, check your ID every time you re-enter the room, and make you put specified allotted items in a locker... they'll surely enforce everything else they say.

I have no doubt they will enforce that, just not sure the way in which they will - do you have to relinquish your phone or do they just watch you like a hawk while you are on breaks?

When I took it last summer we were able to put our phones and everything in the locker. We didn't have the 30 minute break on the old exam and the 10 minute break went by so fast you didn't have time to do anything but go to the bathroom and maybe eat part of a sandwich.

When I took it last summer we were able to put our phones and everything in the locker. We didn't have the 30 minute break on the old exam and the 10 minute break went by so fast you didn't have time to do anything but go to the bathroom and maybe eat part of a sandwich.
so you were able to have your phone and just not touch it during the break? Do you take your food out of the locker before the testing starts or are you allowed to get stuff from the locker? I just looked at the AAMC rules and I'm unsure of if it is saying you can or can't access the locker because it says food etc. must be taken out of the bag and then the bag is left in the locker, in which case I wonder where we put our lunches if not in the locker..

@go cougs @mlowe1 yeah every testing center must be different but everyone i talked to, and myself, were unable to bring the phone. i literally had to go back to my car 3x to put stuff back.. ear plugs, phone, etc.

Hey everyone, June 20th test taker here (will be a retake)! I just wanted to wish all the April test takers luck! I am sure you guys will kill it!

Reactions: 5 users