The Official "I'm ready for Spring Break" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuD2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else REALLY looking forward to Spring Break? It feels like this application process has been going on FOREVER with the GRE studying, essay writing, transcript monitoring, etc.

I am so ready to do NOTHING!...

:biglove::claps:

Members don't see this ad.

Doing nothing isn't an option for me. I worked through my undergraduate and will continue to serve despite the fact that I finished my last undergrad semester some weeks ago. I will continue to freeze my butt off in Alaska and be generally miserable until June-August, the only times it breaks 70 degrees over here.

Now that I think of it, I will be generally miserable in June-August as well, as I have to save up all my leave for my upcoming graduate matriculation.
:boom:

teucer, you have to take leave to go to grad school? i thought the military straight up paid you to go and your school was your job. at least an enlisted friend of mine made it sound that way.

i've never been to alaska. is it really that awful? i read an article that health care in anchorage is growing quickly and creating a lot of new jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sure am. It's not only the application process that is taxing, but class is still friggin' hard! Especially since I had the bright idea to pursue the science tract as opposed to the math tract. Good thinking there Dustbug.

I have to dovetail my getting off of active duty with my beginning grad school.

It is true one can attend college while actively serving and get tuition assistance, but I would not be able to do this with an Au.D. graduate program (or any other I am considering). Doing what I did with the military took me like 7 years to finish a 4 year bachelors degree, finishing with a 2.9 GPA. With my undergrad I'd do class after work and end up staying up till +/- 2200 every night (+/- because of a varying duty schedule). Some years, like when Katrina hit, I could not attend school at all, working 15 or so hour shifts. Too, before Katrina hit, I suffered a major debilitating injury that put me completely out of commission (mentally and physically) for quite a while.

Laid bare, this is the main reason I am not as competetive with other applicants; those who were able to attend university and do nothing but eat, drink and live academics aren't exactly on the same plane as someone who did what I did. The only positive aspect of the way I completed my undergrad is:
1. I have no debt to pay off later
2. I paid for college myself...the hard way.
3. I'll be able to relocate, upon expiration of my contract, to wherever I please...relatively free of charge (to a point). They'll ship you anywhere up to the longitudinal line of your original place of residence when you joined up.
I'll be doing the GI Bill thing after my active duty enlistment expires, allowing me to get 3 years of tuition money for whatever program I choose to attend. After that 3rd year I'll have to start doing the loan thing.

I sure am. It's not only the application process that is taxing, but class is still friggin' hard! Especially since I had the bright idea to pursue the science tract as opposed to the math tract. Good thinking there Dustbug.

So true! All the travel for school visits & time comparing schools on top of coursework as been grueling. I'm on the quarter system & missed a bunch of class. Was up studying all night :yawn: but finished all my papers and finals today.

Still wound up from it all, but thinking I pulled through. Time for a nice food coma meal and to crash! Hamburger & milk shake or big veggie burrito, then sleepytime beddie byes for this kid! Sleep can be a beautiful luxury...:sleep:

Continued best wishes for everyone to get in to their schools :luck::xf:

I'm actually on the other end of things...I graduated this past June, and had to take this year off from school because I didn't have enough money to apply to grad schools last year.
With the economy the way it is right now, my hours at work have been cut back, so I have nothing to do all day but sit at home and keep refreshing my homepage and hoping to hear from the schools...haha yeah, it's exactly as pathetic as it sounds!! :rolleyes: I've been looking into volunteer jobs to fill my days, but a lot of places want a time commitment that I just can't guarantee.
I'm dying to get back to school, but I can definitely understand where you guys are coming from...have a great (& relaxing) spring break everyone! :D

Now that my GPA is out there, I might add that I got a 1000 GRE score. I completed the GRE 3 days after suffering a concussion...ETS told me it would be months down the road if I had to reschedule with the way things were looking. It adds to the challenge when you're taking the computer adaptive test while the characters on the screen are moving....between puking, of course. Adapt and overcome goes a long way!