The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely retaking 1/15! :) Close enough. From CA so I'm actually flying to WA to take it. Good thing I have a friend that works 1.5 hours away from the testing center..

Signed up for this date. Just took MCAT last week, but signed up for this date as a safety net in case I have to take again.

Signed up for this test date as well. Took the 08/21 test and scored well below my average. I'm from CA and I have to fly to Minnesota to take it.

About to sign up for this as well - wondering uif everyone is taking classes while studying and what your schedule is going to be?

Im from CA as well. Im flying to NY to tale the mcat so I cam save money on hotel stuff by staking over at my sister's dorm lool how are you guys doing in mcat prep so far? Im following SEDA method. Its tough :(

Im from CA as well. Im flying to NY to tale the mcat so I cam save money on hotel stuff by staking over at my sister's dorm lool how are you guys doing in mcat prep so far? Im following SEDA method. Its tough :(

man thats intense - what is the SEDA method? are you taking classes this semester?

Hi guys, I am in real need for some serious advice. I started studying for my MCAT during the summer this year. It was scheduled for writing it on the 6th of September but then by August I realized I wasn't doing great in Verbal and needed some serious practice to increase my scores. So I decided to buy myself some more time and re-scheduled it for November. Then, I basically took a few days off studying and then school was about to start so I got caught up with school work, research and other extra curricular activities. I have been taking only four courses this semester to make time to study for my MCAT and my courses are not too hard. I do have time to study during the week but I feel like I have been neglecting my courses a bit and am not caught up with my lecture material. I started studying again this week and I basically have about 5 weeks until the test day. I don't know how my Verbal scores are at the moment and I also realized that I forgot most things I learnt, so need to spend a week reviewing everything again. :( I don't know if it would be better for me to write it in January so I have more time to space everything out and be confident in all the sections or if I should just try my best and write it in November and re-write in January if needed.

However, the my concern with writing it in November is that I might not be very well prepared and I might do bad on my midterms by focusing more on MCAT. Marks are equally as important too. Moreover, sometimes you might end up with a low score in one of the sections and good score on the others and when you re-write, you might not do as well on the sections you did well the first time. I don't want that to happen either. I honestly don't know what to do at the moment. On the other hand, if I write it in January, I will basically not be able to give myself another chance to write the old MCAT, in case I screw up, but I think I will definitely be more confident by then. Having said that, I did buy myself some time to study when I re-scheduled my test to November but I think I was just burnt out, so didn't bother to study until this week. :( So I don't know if buying myself some time is really what I need. What should I do, guys? Should I just do as much preparation as I can and write the November MCAT and see what happens or should I be more confident in my skills and abilities and write the Jan MCAT? I really want to avoid writing the new one as much as possible. Please give me some advice. I would be tremendously grateful. If someone is in a similar situation, please do share some of your thoughts.

Thanks. <3

You know youre not ready for this September test. Well my opinion is that you should go with November one if you can commit enough time to do passages during school year and review them. If not so sure, go with January one sothat youre at better luck.

I postponed my exam multiple times because I just never felt ready. This time I know I can't back up, so I will be taking it this date while working full time, I am in NYC, good luck to y'all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you man. I postponed mine like 3 times. Sigh. And it makes me so sad when I do passages, I miss some questions i.e. 24/33 like this. Which is not good. Which testing center? Im taking mine at syracuse

Hey there - I am also in the process of preparing for the 1/10 test in NY.

I signed up 3 months ago so I got the testing center 10 minutes from my house, it is crazy how far so many people have to travel.

Good luck!

Hey there - I am also in the process of preparing for the 1/10 test in NY.

I signed up 3 months ago so I got the testing center 10 minutes from my house, it is crazy how far so many people have to travel.

Good luck!

I'm just going with one test prep company for content and then aamc material to assess once content is done

To be honest, I'm using Sn2ed method. And, I personally think it's really up to your study habit.
I am not a good student. Meaning, I don't have that stunning GPA to get into med school.
My goal however here is to get into SMP so I can get into MD school.

That's just a brief summary.

So, here is the main point:

SN2ed method is pretty good.
However, sometimes I feel that SN2ed method might be little too harsh.

If you're not good at studying other stuff during school year, probably go ahead and go with Examkrackers with TPRH.

TBR seems pretty tough for me. I'm on the week 2, and, oh man, the stuff is too much that I am falling behind a bit on doing passages.

It's just little IMO thing.

I've been studying for my test for a while now. Excited for the journey we'll all be on! Looking at the test like a game makes it a lot more fun to study for, I've found.

I am taking mine at Penn Plaza in Manhattan, I am using a combination of all the material I have BK, Princenton, Kaplan and EK. My biggest problem is physics and verbal, though..ughh

I'm signed up at this location for Jan 10th too though I'm hoping I can cancel after I get my Sept 6 MCAT results (fingers crossed). Overall this testing center is great (it has windows to let the sunshine in, it has doors that are sound proof so you don't hear them slam, and the computers are newish. Only sound that you can hear in the test rooms is sirens, but only one went by during my whole test and it wasn't very distracting). They also call you and suggest that you come an hour early , which I recommend as they do let you start the test about 15-20 minutes early. Figured I'd give you the scope if you haven't tested there before.

I am taking mine at Penn Plaza in Manhattan, I am using a combination of all the material I have BK, Princenton, Kaplan and EK. My biggest problem is physics and verbal, though..ughh

Reactions: 1 user
I'm signed up at this location for Jan 10th too though I'm hoping I can cancel after I get my Sept 6 MCAT results (fingers crossed). Overall this testing center is great (it has windows to let the sunshine in, it has doors that are sound proof so you don't hear them slam, and the computers are newish. Only sound that you can hear in the test rooms is sirens, but only one went by during my whole test and it wasn't very distracting). They also call you and suggest that you come an hour early , which I recommend as they do let you start the test about 15-20 minutes early. Figured I'd give you the scope if you haven't tested there before.
Thank you!!, I didn't know this is my first time taking it. Good luck to you. Is crazy how all the dates from now to Jan are all taken!!

Trying to do some SN2ed, plus some Spinach Method. Both are very well though out and focus on practice tests and problems. I've just gotten all the materials for SN2 (super cheap, since they're the last editions for this MCAT), but I do think that his schedule might be a little harsh as well. I postponed my MCAT in April after consistently scoring 23-24 on my practice tests the week before, but I'm really looking to do as many practice problems as I can this time around. Makes the most sense to me after seeing how my other study methods failed. We're down to about 100 days o_O

It is so close yet so far!

I know! Still more than 3 months away but I keep thinking about it.

I need to still devise the proper retake strategy for this exam. I'm thinking about getting my hands on the GS exams, going through the remaining TPR exams I have, doing TPR SW passages and maybe trying out EK Bio.

Hi guys, I am in real need for some serious advice. I started studying for my MCAT during the summer this year. It was scheduled for writing it on the 6th of September but then by August I realized I wasn't doing great in Verbal and needed some serious practice to increase my scores. So I decided to buy myself some more time and re-scheduled it for November. Then, I basically took a few days off studying and then school was about to start so I got caught up with school work, research and other extra curricular activities. I have been taking only four courses this semester to make time to study for my MCAT and my courses are not too hard. I do have time to study during the week but I feel like I have been neglecting my courses a bit and am not caught up with my lecture material. I started studying again this week and I basically have about 5 weeks until the test day. I don't know how my Verbal scores are at the moment and I also realized that I forgot most things I learnt, so need to spend a week reviewing everything again. :( I don't know if it would be better for me to write it in January so I have more time to space everything out and be confident in all the sections or if I should just try my best and write it in November and re-write in January if needed.

However, the my concern with writing it in November is that I might not be very well prepared and I might do bad on my midterms by focusing more on MCAT. Marks are equally as important too. Moreover, sometimes you might end up with a low score in one of the sections and good score on the others and when you re-write, you might not do as well on the sections you did well the first time. I don't want that to happen either. I honestly don't know what to do at the moment. On the other hand, if I write it in January, I will basically not be able to give myself another chance to write the old MCAT, in case I screw up, but I think I will definitely be more confident by then. Having said that, I did buy myself some time to study when I re-scheduled my test to November but I think I was just burnt out, so didn't bother to study until this week. :( So I don't know if buying myself some time is really what I need. What should I do, guys? Should I just do as much preparation as I can and write the November MCAT and see what happens or should I be more confident in my skills and abilities and write the Jan MCAT? I really want to avoid writing the new one as much as possible. Please give me some advice. I would be tremendously grateful. If someone is in a similar situation, please do share some of your thoughts.

Thanks. <3[/QUOTE

Hi there. Take a practice exam and see where you are at. If your scoring 27+ now, I think there is enough time to raise your score to at least a 30 with lots of practice test & timed passages even with a full schedule. Most people crank out practice test in the last month of their studies anyway. With that said, even if you are scoring 30+ near your exam date, keep in mind that confidence is half the battle when your taking the MCAT.

The only thing I was kind of bummed to learn is that this date lacks a trial section - so no gift card.

I've been hearing TBR was too detailed and EK was too concise....any truth to this, if so, it seems absurd to study from all the sources and time consuming?

Took September 18 MCAT, but signed up for this one just in case. Hopefully I can cancel once I get my score back, but I guess you never know. Better to be safe than sorry I suppose. Used up all my AAMCs, so going to do 5 GS I did not use and 6 more Kaplan tests and retake AAMCs in December to get the feel of the test back again. Also, going through all Biology passages in Princeton Science Workbook. Its quite hard to get to studying hard again before you get your scores back haha.

Last edited:
Going to spend 1 month reviewing my weak areas in content and last 2 months just taking tests. Did not study ochem much at all last time and luckily there was little ochem on my exam, but I might not be so lucky next time, so I am just going to do all the ochem passages in BR.

It seems some have a lot of ochem and others barely have any. Since you have seen it once, what do think is best way to study for possible ochem stuff on the actual exam?

I would like to know too. I am taking the exam right when I finish Orgo 1 but before Orgo 2.

I took a FL the other day and my score was hurt because the bio was orgo heavy. I am hoping to cover all my orgo bases before January through the course and self study.

I signed up for this exam back in July, but I didn't start the SN2ed study method until the 3rd week or so of September. I'm also a non-trad, so I work part/full-time and study before/after work. The first week of studying went well, but towards the 2nd, and now the end of the 3rd week, caught up with me because of my schedule so I'm a couple of days behind. Hope your studying goes well and doesn't get you like it did me!

Haha, I have been registered since May. In retrospect I am happy I signed up so early with all of these horror stories I hear about people flying across the country.

Does anyone know how to download the s2ned calendar for this specific date? I can only find one for the aug 9 one. IT would be nice to have it to refer to.

EDIT: nevermind! found this and imported it to google calendar, following the instructions. http://mcatschedule.webs.com/mcatschedular.htm good luck everyone! I'm going to be frequenting this thread for support!

Last edited:
Thanks - just started day one of s2ned today - think I'm going to dialit down a llittle bit and really spend most of my time focusing on the prac problems (tough to balance classes with studying) How's it going for everyone?