*The Official January 2016 MCAT*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I don't see any thread made for January 2016 MCAT test date, so I thought to create one. I'll be graduating by the end of this year and will be giving my MCAT on January 2016. I had my test date set for September of this year, but something came up and I won't be able to dedicate myself to studying for the MCAT fully. So, let us make this thread rich with all the discussions about the MCAT. Let us support each other and make taking MCAT a pleasurable experience, so I think. Let's go.......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I am also retaking because of CARS!

What is your strategy this time around? I am trying to find as many passages as I can..

check out the NS 108 verbal passages if you can get your hands on them. They're not too bad, and honestly passage length is about the same as what I saw on the real thing. Good practice none the less. I'm re-taking a 508 due to CARs as well (130/124/128/126)...so I'm in the same boat. Literally hate CARS, its definitely the one section that you can't really study for...kinda a **** toss if you ask me and a lot kinda depends on what passages you get on that day.

check out the NS 108 verbal passages if you can get your hands on them. They're not too bad, and honestly passage length is about the same as what I saw on the real thing. Good practice none the less. I'm re-taking a 508 due to CARs as well (130/124/128/126)...so I'm in the same boat. Literally hate CARS, its definitely the one section that you can't really study for...kinda a **** toss if you ask me and a lot kinda depends on what passages you get on that day.

I actually have that book and am halfway through it...

I was thinking of finishing up that book soon, and to start using EK101 + old TPRH passages soon, and throwing a little bit of Testing Solutions passages in there?

Has anyone tried TS verbal exams or Berkeleys Verbal? I want to start doing one full verbal section per day so will need a lot of passages hehehe

I actually have that book and am halfway through it...

I was thinking of finishing up that book soon, and to start using EK101 + old TPRH passages soon, and throwing a little bit of Testing Solutions passages in there?

Has anyone tried TS verbal exams or Berkeleys Verbal? I want to start doing one full verbal section per day so will need a lot of passages hehehe
I have TBR 2013 verbal book and its pretty good, to me they are a little on the easy side but its good practice nonetheless

Members don't see this ad :)
how are you going t0 prepare. I'm definietly taking a physiology, biochem and psychology/sociology course. i have heard that biochem is heavy for this exam and the review book for psychology/sociology doesnt cover everythi

For psychology/sociology I suggest taking advantage of Khan Academy it hit it spot on for the actual MCAT, I know this because I took my MCAT this past September. AAMC tests were the most similar of course but Next Step had way more FL exams to offer. EK FL exams were a great help too! If you have any other questions feel free to PM me :)

Joining this thread as well. Re-taker from the August 6th exam

August 6th exam:
c/p=130
CARS=124
B/B=128
P/S=126
total=508

If anyone knows of any ways to significantly improve CARS I'm all ears. I've exhausted literally every source...EK101, TPR hyper learning, question packs, etc...so not quite sure what to do given I have around 3-4 months before I retake this beast. My best bet is probably Next step verbal workbook and just doing more full lengths?...but I feel like thats still very limited CARS practice. Should I read the economist? Novels?
Have you taken EK FL 1-4? they're a great help! :) I retook my MCAT this september and did way better.

I'm thinking about taking more practice test this time around ( the first time I took 6 im playing on doing 10-12), note cards ( amino acids) basically less content and more test and practice passages. I got a 125 on both chem and bio the first time so I guess i did something right :laugh:
Yes definitely do that! That's what I did when I retook my exam this past September and scored way better after taking 12 FL exams, have you checked out EK 1-4? You can get them for cheap too. PM if you're interested.

I'm a retaker from August and plan to retake end of January. I'm in my final year at my university and am finding it very difficult to find time to study for the MCAT with everything else going on. Anyone else in a similar situation?
Yes it is very difficult but you can do this! Just focus more on taking FL exams than content because you can study content forever and still do horrible if you're not comfortable taking a 7 hour exam....make sure to thoroughly go over the exam too! That's what helped me when I retook my exam in september, I took over 12 FL exams. Check out EK if you haven't yet, and you can get it for cheap too. PM if you have any other questions. Good luck studying :)

@MCAT_retake If you want to sell your EK exams (I'm not sure if that's even allowed?), there's a Classifieds forum specifically for that purpose!

Also, I think I've spent more time reading the Official May 22, 2015 MCAT thread than actually studying... :rolleyes:

At this point, what are your study strategies? Are you guys doing content review still or short passages or FLs?

I am doing several passages or test sections. Once I finish with the semester, I will start taking FL's regularly. Reviewing passages and FL's takes a while.

Reactions: 1 user
I am doing several passages or test sections. Once I finish with the semester, I will start taking FL's regularly. Reviewing passages and FL's takes a while.

I'm so jealous! I still have about 5 weeks left of content review. :( I've been doing one FL every 2 weeks (2 so far, so it's not really a pattern haha) and will start taking them every week from December - January. I'm still finding it hard to balance working full time and keeping up with the TPR class, but hopefully I'll have enough time over Thanksgiving to catch up!

I suggest that you finish up the content 2 weeks before you exam date. And the glance over high yield content, and do FL's from AAMC.

How far is everyone with studying? I have to start + finish Psychology content (how long does this take?) and some biochemistry and then I am strictly focusing on questions + exams. Hopefully I finish everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest that you finish up the content 2 weeks before you exam date. And the glance over high yield content, and do FL's from AAMC.
No. Absolutely not.

Content done AT LEAST 1 month before exam if not 2. FL's until exam week. LAST FL exam = AAMC FL (the new one). In between FLs and review, do the q-packs, question by question, the AAMC OG.

If you are not solid on content by 12/23, then I would consider moving the test date.

Solid, to me, means:

Concepts are not new; general understanding is there, can easily explain to someone else what the concept means

Minute details needs to be honed ala: right hand rule with electromagnetics, refraction; or pkas related to deprotonated AA, or PI on AA, or LB/MM graph reading; remember all 2,000,000,000 stages of Erikson :/ or group think v. ...

Reactions: 2 users
No. Absolutely not.

Content done AT LEAST 1 month before exam if not 2. FL's until exam week. LAST FL exam = AAMC FL (the new one). In between FLs and review, do the q-packs, question by question, the AAMC OG.

If you are not solid on content by 12/23, then I would consider moving the test date.

Solid, to me, means:

Concepts are not new; general understanding is there, can easily explain to someone else what the concept means

Minute details needs to be honed ala: right hand rule with electromagnetics, refraction; or pkas related to deprotonated AA, or PI on AA, or LB/MM graph reading; remember all 2,000,000,000 stages of Erikson :/ or group think v. ...

In my opinion, it is difficult to memorize every single, minute detail of every topic for the MCAT. By doing full-length tests on a weekly basis and reviewing said tests the day after, I am essentially performing "content review," or brushing up on the details that have slipped my mind. It is possible that is what mcatfever was trying to say, but I agree with you that GENERAL understanding of the content should be completed at least a month before the exam date. Just my two cents :)

Agree with above. Get general content done early with. My goal is to spend my last month and a half doing passages and the FLs I haven't done already. Also during that time I'll memorize very specific things like PKa's, specific pathways, and hammer down those AA's!

So far I have a month to finish about 10 subjects for content review in bio, gen. Chem, physics, orgo, and psych/soc.

I feel like it's really been helpful mixing in content review along with practice passages. I feel much more comfortable with both the details and the formatting of questions. I've been using TPR, Khan, and more recently TBR and EK.

By Dec. 23, I'm switching to strictly FL, practice problems, and reviewing my cheet sheets. I'm going to shoot to take 5 - 7 practice tests. 2 TPR, 1 Next Step, 1 Kaplan, 1 EK, and 1 AAMC at least.

How is everyone else progressing along? Some days it's hard to keep on track, but it's good to know that the finish line is so close.

How is everyone else progressing along? Some days it's hard to keep on track, but it's good to know that the finish line is so close.

I'm feeling the opposite haha... I'm actually probably going to postpone my test date until April 1. At the current rate I'm going at, my TPR class (i.e. content review) will finish December 29, which leaves less than a month of final review and taking practice passages. I thought that would be enough, but I'm falling so behind on TPR class homework because I work 8-5 PM and have class 7-10 PM, which doesn't leave much time to do homework and make flashcards, much less have an actual life. :( I think I will be so much more confident and comfortable taking it in April, plus my Spring semester is a lot lighter than I thought it would be so I have more time to do practice.

In any case, I took my third TPR FL today: 502 (125/127/125/125). From my previous FL, I had a decent improvement in CP, CARS and BB were basically the same, but I think I pooped out early because my PS tanked. :confused: My brain actually felt really good through CP and CARS, but I was basically over it for BB and PS haha.

Screw studying, happy Thanksgiving everyone! :banana:

In my opinion, it is difficult to memorize every single, minute detail of every topic for the MCAT.

It should not be. These are all topics that you should have had in your pre-req courses.

My comment was aimed at the poster who told another to make sure to be done with content 2 weeks before the exam. :eyebrow:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :) (So dang full right now :yuck: )

January test taker checking in!

I'm 5 chapters away (Biochemistry) from being completely done with content review.

I wanted to give myself two full months to just take practice exams but life got in the way so I'm about one week behind my ideal schedule :/

I'm taking my first Kaplan FL tomorrow. Tonight's going to be a long night...

If you guys want to be more accustomed to philosophical passages I suggest you google philosophy now, they have tons of articles(for free) that are just as hard or harder than the mcat passages.

Reactions: 1 users
How are you guys studying for the psych/soc section? I'm using TPR but I don't know if that is enough. EK definitely does not have enough content to fit the bill. Maybe I should move to Khan Academy.

Wow, anybody tried the new AAMC section bank yet? I'm doing the Bio now and it's totally kicking my butt. I've never had to COMPLETELY guess on so many questions before. The passages are so convoluted that I feel the only way to do them would be to write/draw down the reactions being described. Any tips from someone that did decently well on these?

I have not tried them yet, as I am saving them for later!

Has anyone taken any of the NS tests? I just took NS FL 1 and got a 509... but there aren't many data points from past takers so not really sure where I stand on this one!

What's up everyone! Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Re-taker here from the old version of the exam

Just a question for you guys - When you're working on the AAMC Q-Packs and the new Section Banks, how are you timing yourself? Or are you just taking your time to work through them one passage at a time?

Hi,

I am also a retaker from the old version. What strategy are you using this time around?

Wow, anybody tried the new AAMC section bank yet? I'm doing the Bio now and it's totally kicking my butt. I've never had to COMPLETELY guess on so many questions before. The passages are so convoluted that I feel the only way to do them would be to write/draw down the reactions being described. Any tips from someone that did decently well on these?
Are you referring to the new question bank that just released?

Since January is right around the corner, how are you guys preparing for the new MCAT? Retakers what new strategy are you guys using?

Pretty much done with content review. Just practices Q's, passages, and tests till Jan 22nd

Oh and amino acids :)

For the experimental passages, what are ya'll's generally strategies in reading them? Are you skimming first, then detailed reading, or are you reading it in detailed all together? Are you guys writing down notes at all?

I'm having a timing issue from going back to the passage after reading the question. I guess for me it's a matter of comprehension and practice.

Last edited:
Oh thank you so much Im going to buy them this weekend so I have ample time to review and master.

The question pack and even the sample test from earlier this year was nowhere as convoluted as this section bank (for bio at least so far). I'm even considering postponing now! Learning to read is hard :(.

The question pack and even the sample test from earlier this year was nowhere as convoluted as this section bank (for bio at least so far). I'm even considering postponing now! Learning to read is hard :(.

Have you done the Khan Academy Bio passages? They have some really convoluted bio passages so it could be good practice. Plus, i took the MCAT in September, and couple of my bio passages were eerily similar to the Khan's passages!

For the experimental passages, what are ya'll's generally strategies in reading them? Are you skimming first, then detailed reading, or are you reading it in detailed all together? Are you guys writing down notes at all?

I'm having a timing issue from going back to the passage after reading the question. I guess for me it's a matter of comprehension and practice.

I've been approaching the experimental passages with more of a basic "skim to see what's going on" and then spend more time looking at the details when particular questions ask about them. I feel like otherwise I may be focusing on things that I don't necessarily NEED to focus on. I've only been writing things down for CARS...it helps me to focus on the point of some of the long and convoluted-ish passages

So far it seems to be working - I was in the 80% range for Bio and Behavior and mid 70% for physical sciences on the first AAMC practice exam. I have some "tweaking" to do (especially in physical science--but that was always my weak area) but that seems to work well for me.

What does everyone else think?

Have you done the Khan Academy Bio passages? They have some really convoluted bio passages so it could be good practice. Plus, i took the MCAT in September, and couple of my bio passages were eerily similar to the Khan's passages!

I'll try this. I haven't looked at Khan at all. I guess I should. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've been approaching the experimental passages with more of a basic "skim to see what's going on" and then spend more time looking at the details when particular questions ask about them. I feel like otherwise I may be focusing on things that I don't necessarily NEED to focus on. I've only been writing things down for CARS...it helps me to focus on the point of some of the long and convoluted-ish passages

So far it seems to be working - I was in the 80% range for Bio and Behavior and mid 70% for physical sciences on the first AAMC practice exam. I have some "tweaking" to do (especially in physical science--but that was always my weak area) but that seems to work well for me.

What does everyone else think?

I'll try this for sure. You're right about reading things you don't NEED. You get paranoid though about skimming over a key word that might tip you on a question you think is impossible otherwise.

I agree to an extent.

Khan Academy in general has such poorly worded questions at times. Incredibly frustrating.

Hey everyone!

If anyone has taken any of the Kaplan FL's, would you mind posting your scores? I have taken 4 of them and have scored an average of 500 (low 497 and high 504). I am just trying to get a gauge on where I am in my prep.

Also, anyone who is using EK101 for prep and is a re-taker... how do these compare to passages you see on MCAT?

Thanks and good luck studying!

If you have a timing issue, try learning to get a solid understanding of what's going on before moving to questions. Make a sort of mental map of where different bits of info are. If you skim without getting much, then search again for each question, that wastes a lot of time. But then again, different strategies work for everyone

What's up everyone! Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Re-taker here from the old version of the exam

Just a question for you guys - When you're working on the AAMC Q-Packs and the new Section Banks, how are you timing yourself? Or are you just taking your time to work through them one passage at a time?
Practice everything timed at this point. when you check your answers, take your time going through each question

Hey everyone!

If anyone has taken any of the Kaplan FL's, would you mind posting your scores? I have taken 4 of them and have scored an average of 500 (low 497 and high 504). I am just trying to get a gauge on where I am in my prep.

Also, anyone who is using EK101 for prep and is a re-taker... how do these compare to passages you see on MCAT?

Thanks and good luck studying!

I am in about the same situation as you. I took these exams in order a week apart starting 11/6 . I'm shooting for 1 day a week I take a test. My scores are

Kaplan 5 (124, 124, 123, 126 Total (497) )

Kapan 6 (125, 125, 124, 127 total (501) )

Kaplan 7 (126, 125, 126, 127 total (504))

(rough morning) Kaplan 8 (125, 125, 125, 126 total (501)

How have other people been doing on Kaplan. They are a bit harder, in my opinion.

I am in about the same situation as you. I took these exams in order a week apart starting 11/6 . I'm shooting for 1 day a week I take a test. My scores are

Kaplan 5 (124, 124, 123, 126 Total (497) )

Kapan 6 (125, 125, 124, 127 total (501) )

Kaplan 7 (126, 125, 126, 127 total (504))

(rough morning) Kaplan 8 (125, 125, 125, 126 total (501)

How have other people been doing on Kaplan. They are a bit harder, in my opinion.

I think that the Kaplan tests are much harder. The way I have been studying was the 100 day program, twice through. So I am currently retaking all my practice tests then the last week I will add in EK 1-4 and AAMC which i haven't taken yet.

My scores for the kaplan were 6-8 poitns lower than my scores on the NS 1-5 and the TPR. Same with the retakes so far, I went up 12 points, but was below my NS ones by 4-5 points. Percentage correct wise, I recalculated it and it was about equal with my NS so it seems its how it is scored is harsher.

I think that the Kaplan tests are much harder. The way I have been studying was the 100 day program, twice through. So I am currently retaking all my practice tests then the last week I will add in EK 1-4 and AAMC which i haven't taken yet.

My scores for the kaplan were 6-8 poitns lower than my scores on the NS 1-5 and the TPR. Same with the retakes so far, I went up 12 points, but was below my NS ones by 4-5 points. Percentage correct wise, I recalculated it and it was about equal with my NS so it seems its how it is scored is harsher.

If you don't mind sharing, what have you been getting for Kaplan scores?

Date Test Score
7/27/15 Nexstep Diagnostic 492
8/3/15 AAMC Practice test 500
24-Aug NS FL 1 499
7-Sep TPR FL 1 504
14-Sep Kaplan 492
27-Sep NS FL 2 504
28-Sep NS FL 3 502
5-Oct NS FL 4 504
16-Oct NS 5 501
22-Oct AAMC Half Practice Retake
Restarted the 100 day cycle
10/27/15 Nextstep Diagnostic 507
11/1/15 TPR 3 497
11/15/15 NS FL 1 Retake 509
11/20/15 TPR FL 1 507
11/28/15 NS FL 2 509
12/5/15 Kaplan 1 503

I tried to space them out so I wouldn't have anything "memorized" so to speak, about 2-2.5 months between the tests. Seeing as they are expensive, I am getting the EK 1-4 and the AAMC during break and will be working through those as well.

Date Test Score
7/27/15 Nexstep Diagnostic 492
8/3/15 AAMC Practice test 500
24-Aug NS FL 1 499
7-Sep TPR FL 1 504
14-Sep Kaplan 492
27-Sep NS FL 2 504
28-Sep NS FL 3 502
5-Oct NS FL 4 504
16-Oct NS 5 501
22-Oct AAMC Half Practice Retake
Restarted the 100 day cycle
10/27/15 Nextstep Diagnostic 507
11/1/15 TPR 3 497
11/15/15 NS FL 1 Retake 509
11/20/15 TPR FL 1 507
11/28/15 NS FL 2 509
12/5/15 Kaplan 1 503

I tried to space them out so I wouldn't have anything "memorized" so to speak, about 2-2.5 months between the tests. Seeing as they are expensive, I am getting the EK 1-4 and the AAMC during break and will be working through those as well.

I know there's been a few other threads debating the quality of NS.. but if you don't mind, can I hear what you personally think about the NS FL's? Are they worth buying?

I personally liked them. I thought they were easier than Kaplan and TPR versions of it. I am by no means an expert on the MCAT but I feel like the NS was a fair representation of what the test is like difficulty wise. I am going to take the EK ones too and see how my scores compare. I liked that NS had explanations for why I got things wrong, combining that with ANKI has been a big help.