The Official July 12, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HinduHammer

Righteous in Wrath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.5 months away, let's get started. Time to study and motivate each other!!

Me so far: Taking Kaplan online. 23 diagnostic (8,12,3). Applying for class entering Fall 2015.

My studying so far has been minimal, though I am halfway through the kaplan online course. I was planning to take June 5 but decided to push it back. After my final exams next week, I will be studying mostly full-time from May 12-July 12. My biggest weakness is bio content and timing - I cannot read the passages fast enough.

What are your stories/plans/goals??

Let's do this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@neilmodi93 I haven't looked at that section yet but have you tried checking out chad's videos for that particular topic? You can get one 'section' of the chapter videos for 4$ I think...maybe try that? People here generally give it rave reviews. Good luck!

@HinduHammer I'm a little jealous of your FL score...haven't taken one yet but I hope I can start in that range and work my way up. Your plan sounds ambitious and makes my 1 Ch. plus 3 review sections with passages from TBR look quite humble... I wish you the best!

Hey guys,

Can you help me out with this question from EK 1001. Its #321 in Physics.

A 0.8m long sign extends from a wall supported by a rope as shown. If the sign has uniform density, what is the minimum coefficient of friction between the sign and the wall?

The rope is connected to the board at the 0.2m into the board. And its attached 60 degrees to the board on its horizontal.
See image !

The answer is C.

I don't understand why the Force of friction is downwards. Can someone explain?? Thanks :)

Solution
"This is an equilibrium problem. Remember, the frictional force f is smaller than or equal to (mu)N. We are looking for the smallest possible value of (mu). In order to avoid confusion, solve for the force f and then solve for (mu). If we choose the spot where the rope attaches to the sign, we can quickly see that, for the sign to be in rotational equilibrium, mg must equal f; the torque equation is 0.2mg = 0.2f. The forces upward equal the forces downward, so: Tcos30 = mg + f. Putting these two equations together, we have Tcos30 = 2mg >> T = 2mg/cos30. The forces left equal the forces to the right, so the normal force N equal Tsin30. The force of static friction is f <_ (mu)N = (mu) Tsin30. Earlier we found that Tcos30 = mg + f. Solving for f and substituting, we have: Tcos30 - mg <_ (mu) Tsin30 => (cos30/sin30) - (mg/Tsin30) <_ (mu). Earlier we found that T = 2mg/cos30. Substituting this value for T into the previous equation gives: (cos30/sin30) - (mgcos30/2mgsin30) <_ (mu) = > (cos30/sin30) - (cos30/2sin30) <_ (mu)"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 2.29.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 2.29.21 PM.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 65
Hope everyone's studying is going well! I'm still working on content review, I don't feel comfortable enough using up a practice exam yet since Bio and Chem are far back, but I'm shooting for using one soon...maybe I'll start with a non AAMC. For those who have used a Kaplan and or something else for a FL and also taken AAMC for comparison did you think it was helpful (my big concern is timing...)?

Also, just wanted to throw out a quick mention to everyone to make sure not to neglect the AAMC outline!! I have been checking it as I go along studying and have found a few spots that were lacking from TBR bio and EK bio...easily filled in by Wikipremed etc. This may be because it's covered in a different section of the book that I haven't gotten to yet, but I feel better knowing that I cover it the same time the outline does in the case that it's not covered in a later chapter of TBR.

Happy studying all :happy:

I've noticed the same thing with regards to the study guides not covering everything in the AAMC outlines. Do you guys think that's because the uncovered concepts aren't as high yield, or just an oversight??

I wrote Kaplan FL 2 yesterday, and I'm starting to think that the Kaplan exams are wayyyy too easy because I scored a 44 (14 PS, 15 VR, 15 BS). I'm skeptical...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Can you help me out with this question from EK 1001. Its #321 in Physics.

A 0.8m long sign extends from a wall supported by a rope as shown. If the sign has uniform density, what is the minimum coefficient of friction between the sign and the wall?

The rope is connected to the board at the 0.2m into the board. And its attached 60 degrees to the board on its horizontal.
See image !

The answer is C.

I don't understand why the Force of friction is downwards. Can someone explain?? Thanks :)

Solution
"This is an equilibrium problem. Remember, the frictional force f is smaller than or equal to (mu)N. We are looking for the smallest possible value of (mu). In order to avoid confusion, solve for the force f and then solve for (mu). If we choose the spot where the rope attaches to the sign, we can quickly see that, for the sign to be in rotational equilibrium, mg must equal f; the torque equation is 0.2mg = 0.2f. The forces upward equal the forces downward, so: Tcos30 = mg + f. Putting these two equations together, we have Tcos30 = 2mg >> T = 2mg/cos30. The forces left equal the forces to the right, so the normal force N equal Tsin30. The force of static friction is f <_ (mu)N = (mu) Tsin30. Earlier we found that Tcos30 = mg + f. Solving for f and substituting, we have: Tcos30 - mg <_ (mu) Tsin30 => (cos30/sin30) - (mg/Tsin30) <_ (mu). Earlier we found that T = 2mg/cos30. Substituting this value for T into the previous equation gives: (cos30/sin30) - (mgcos30/2mgsin30) <_ (mu) = > (cos30/sin30) - (cos30/2sin30) <_ (mu)"

Hi :)

The force of gravity is downward, because if you choose (like they do in the solution) the point where the rope meets the sign as your rotational point, then the gravitational force is pulling down to the right of that point. Therefore, the sign is being rotated clockwise by that torque, which means that the left side of the sign would be moving up if not in equilibrium. Friction opposes movement, so the frictional force is downward in order to counter that upward movement. Does that help?

Reactions: 2 users
I've noticed the same thing with regards to the study guides not covering everything in the AAMC outlines. Do you guys think that's because the uncovered concepts aren't as high yield, or just an oversight??

I wrote Kaplan FL 2 yesterday, and I'm starting to think that the Kaplan exams are wayyyy too easy because I scored a 44 (14 PS, 15 VR, 15 BS). I'm skeptical...

Let me just say that I hope to heavens you are just an MCAT genius!! If the Kaplan exams are way too easy then I am in trouble!! I wonder how you'll do on Kaplan FL7. I did horrible. And something is funky about the scaling - I missed 28 questions in PS and got a 9. That's weird.

How have you been preparing? Just going through the kaplan review notes and doing the section tests, topical tests, and end of chapter problems? How much are you studying daily? And what was your diagnostic score again?

I am finding it very hard to study effectively for more than 4-6 hours per day, and sometimes to even get in the mindset to study effectively at all. Sometimes I'll spend an hour reading 2 pages in a kaplan or EK content review book b/c my eyes just glaze over...

Also, don't know about the AAMC content things, but my guess would be that it's not an oversight. Considering how much business pre-meds are giving kaplan and the rest, their review guide makers likely lined up the review notes against the aamc outline when making up the review notes. that's just my guess though.

Let me just say that I hope to heavens you are just an MCAT genius!! If the Kaplan exams are way too easy then I am in trouble!! I wonder how you'll do on Kaplan FL7. I did horrible. And something is funky about the scaling - I missed 28 questions in PS and got a 9. That's weird.

How have you been preparing? Just going through the kaplan review notes and doing the section tests, topical tests, and end of chapter problems? How much are you studying daily? And what was your diagnostic score again?

I am finding it very hard to study effectively for more than 4-6 hours per day, and sometimes to even get in the mindset to study effectively at all. Sometimes I'll spend an hour reading 2 pages in a kaplan or EK content review book b/c my eyes just glaze over...

Also, don't know about the AAMC content things, but my guess would be that it's not an oversight. Considering how much business pre-meds are giving kaplan and the rest, their review guide makers likely lined up the review notes against the aamc outline when making up the review notes. that's just my guess though.

According to my schedule, I'm not writing Kaplan FL7 until June 24th, but I'll definitely let you know when I do. Did one particular section drag you down? Or do you feel it was just general timing, etc?

My diagnostic score was a 32 (PS 11, VR 12, BS 9). I've been studying by going through the TPR book content chapter by chapter (which I just finished today), doing some Kaplan topical quizzes, and the TPR end of chapter questions. I also keep a notebook where I write down any information needed to answer questions I got wrong (e.g. if I got a question wrong because I didn't know about bacterial conjugation, I would write down the definition) and I read the notebook before each FL.

I wouldn't feel bad about not studying all day long. I typically study about 5 hours a day, sometimes less. If you aren't studying effectively, take a break because otherwise you are wasting your time. Better to study for 3 hours effectively than 6 with your eyes glazed over. I've also being doing lots of yoga and working out lots because that makes me more energetic and focused throughout the day.

Yeah, you're probably right. I doubt the big companies would just forget to put something in...but it does sort of worry me when they don't cover something found on the AAMC outlines...

According to my schedule, I'm not writing Kaplan FL7 until June 24th, but I'll definitely let you know when I do. Did one particular section drag you down? Or do you feel it was just general timing, etc?

My diagnostic score was a 32 (PS 11, VR 12, BS 9). I've been studying by going through the TPR book content chapter by chapter (which I just finished today), doing some Kaplan topical quizzes, and the TPR end of chapter questions. I also keep a notebook where I write down any information needed to answer questions I got wrong (e.g. if I got a question wrong because I didn't know about bacterial conjugation, I would write down the definition) and I read the notebook before each FL.

I wouldn't feel bad about not studying all day long. I typically study about 5 hours a day, sometimes less. If you aren't studying effectively, take a break because otherwise you are wasting your time. Better to study for 3 hours effectively than 6 with your eyes glazed over. I've also being doing lots of yoga and working out lots because that makes me more energetic and focused throughout the day.

Yeah, you're probably right. I doubt the big companies would just forget to put something in...but it does sort of worry me when they don't cover something found on the AAMC outlines...

Interesting, just so you know I've heard that Kaplan FL 1-5 are the most similar to AAMC test, they also have the video explanations on demand, which I find helpful which is why I did Kaplan FL 7 as I am waiting to use the earlier ones until closer to the test date.

That is a great idea about the notebook! I should definitely start doing that. Also, I've asked numerous people whether their Kaplan FL average is the same as their AAMC average. Some said lower, some said higher but generally within a few points.

I think I was just in a rush to do another FL and didn't even finish going over what I did wrong on the previous FL. I am in this tug-of-war daily between doing content review or passages/practice tests. I need to stick to the schedule that I made for myself the other day.

I also started using Khan Academy videos which has been surprisingly interesting and helpful!

I love Khan Academy! So helpful for topics you're struggling with. I've been using those videos since high school :)

Okay, so it seems like the Kaplan FLs are at least ballpark estimates of the real-deal, if not the most dependable guide. From what I've heard, it's really important to take the time to go over each FL carefully and get the most out of them.

Good to know about the Kaplan FLs...I think I'm only taking 1-7 so it shouldn't matter too much. I'm taking the Kaplan ones earlier and saving the later AAMC ones for closer to test day.

The notebook thing is something that I read on an SDN forum actually! I've been loving it.

Reactions: 1 user
Khan has been really helpful for me too! (I also listen to his lectures while I walk the dog to reinforce BR material I just went over). Thanks for posting the tip on the notebook, I know I read it on here a while ago but I forgot about it until you mentioned it, I think I'll start today!

Khan has been really helpful for me too! (I also listen to his lectures while I walk the dog to reinforce BR material I just went over). Thanks for posting the tip on the notebook, I know I read it on here a while ago but I forgot about it until you mentioned it, I think I'll start today!

Literally watching the khan video on hemoglobin right this second lol.

@neilmodi93 I haven't looked at that section yet but have you tried checking out chad's videos for that particular topic? You can get one 'section' of the chapter videos for 4$ I think...maybe try that? People here generally give it rave reviews. Good luck!

@HinduHammer I'm a little jealous of your FL score...haven't taken one yet but I hope I can start in that range and work my way up. Your plan sounds ambitious and makes my 1 Ch. plus 3 review sections with passages from TBR look quite humble... I wish you the best!

Hey @Tradewinds thanks for bumping up my ego lol. We all have different goals. I know for my non-impressive GPA I need to get about a 35 to be competitive for my state MD school. My advice is to take an FL as soon as possible! Today's a good day for it, no? You need to get a baseline for where you're at. For me, it helps put the fire in my pants to keep moving!!

My plan was/is too ambitious. It is very hard to stick to. However, having a plan is key. For example, my plan for the rest of today is to finish de-briefing my FLs from last week, do 2 chapters of bio and 2 chs of physics. I have all day to do it so let's see if I can!! Have a nice holiday today.

@HinduHammer Thanks for the motivation! I was planning on starting FLs next week but you made a good point, I think I'll bump it up to this week (can't do today since I have to nap before work tonight ) and tomorrow I will be sleeping off my 12 hour shift so it looks like Wednesday may be the perfect day to shoot for! Hopefully I can finish nervous and muscular systems before work tonight :)

Enjoy the day everyone!

This may seem like an oddly specific question...but do you guys think it's worthwhile to memorize formulas such as the one for the doppler effect? I find that they typically give you the formulas in questions, and it's enough to just have a conceptual understanding, but is this a risky move? Are you guys memorizing all these highly specific formulas?

Members don't see this ad :)
This may seem like an oddly specific question...but do you guys think it's worthwhile to memorize formulas such as the one for the doppler effect? I find that they typically give you the formulas in questions, and it's enough to just have a conceptual understanding, but is this a risky move? Are you guys memorizing all these highly specific formulas?

Memorize and understand the Doppler effect! This has come up on real MCATs.

Memorize and understand the Doppler effect! This has come up on real MCATs.
Like the numerical formula as well? The doppler effect came up on one of my full lengths but I was able to figure it out by knowing whether the frequency would be increased or decreased, but didn't need a specific number.

If it's necessary to memorize formulas like the Doppler effect, I guess I've got a lot more work to do. I've been relying on knowing proportionality's thus far...

Like the numerical formula as well? The doppler effect came up on one of my full lengths but I was able to figure it out by knowing whether the frequency would be increased or decreased, but didn't need a specific number.

If it's necessary to memorize formulas like the Doppler effect, I guess I've got a lot more work to do. I've been relying on knowing proportionality's thus far...

You don't wanna waste time on simple things that you could have memorized. It's a pretty easy formula to memorize. Why not understand and memorize it. There really aren't too many formulas to memorize

Hi :)

The force of gravity is downward, because if you choose (like they do in the solution) the point where the rope meets the sign as your rotational point, then the gravitational force is pulling down to the right of that point. Therefore, the sign is being rotated clockwise by that torque, which means that the left side of the sign would be moving up if not in equilibrium. Friction opposes movement, so the frictional force is downward in order to counter that upward movement. Does that help?

That makes sense, thank you! I always have trouble with these torque questions!

Hey everyone. Just signed up for this test with about 6 weeks to get going. I'm using EK and TBR and a little bit psyched out about the amount of material but I plan to spend ~10 hours a day so I hope all works out. How's everybody doin?

hey everyone. just wanted to chime in. i've noticed everyone has been making great progress on their respective schedules. that's awesome. i had a question: anyone know if Kaplan FL Bio section is like the real thing? how are the kaplan tests in general? I plan to do GS, TPR, some Kaplan, and AAMC tests (of course). I'm a second time retaker (1 year from my retake) though and I've done the AAMCs (twice) which was stupid because my 1st retake (1 year apart) I averaged a 38 and I got a 31 on the real deal. so, if you're a retaker, don't redo AAMCs. or if you do, redo them but take them with a grain of salt. that's what I'm going to do this time. I'm still going to be doing them to get refamilarized with them when I get close to the test day. i'm still doing individual passages. right now working through TBR physics. Just did periodic motion and waves. Did the 52 question test in 65 mins and got a 43/52 which is about a 13? good luck to all and keep working hard everyone!

hey everyone. just wanted to chime in. i've noticed everyone has been making great progress on their respective schedules. that's awesome. i had a question: anyone know if Kaplan FL Bio section is like the real thing? how are the kaplan tests in general? I plan to do GS, TPR, some Kaplan, and AAMC tests (of course). I'm a second time retaker (1 year from my retake) though and I've done the AAMCs (twice) which was stupid because my 1st retake (1 year apart) I averaged a 38 and I got a 31 on the real deal. so, if you're a retaker, don't redo AAMCs. or if you do, redo them but take them with a grain of salt. that's what I'm going to do this time. I'm still going to be doing them to get refamilarized with them when I get close to the test day. i'm still doing individual passages. right now working through TBR physics. Just did periodic motion and waves. Did the 52 question test in 65 mins and got a 43/52 which is about a 13? good luck to all and keep working hard everyone!

I'm retaking too! I got a 31 last August, but I'm hoping for 35+ this time. Have you heard anything about the BR practice tests? Or are the GS Full lengths more representative of the MCAT?

I've heard GS>BR. But GS verbal may be iffy. That said, both would be great practice. Also, I just did a timed BR physics test- the sound and doppler chapter. I got a 41/52. Ehh. I did give my self 58 mins instead of the normal 70 mins for 52 questions. So maybe I would have done better with more time. But I'm trying to practice under harsher conditions. Postgame and then on to the next chapter.

Has anyone taken Kaplan FL 4? took it today after taking FL3 on saturday and it killed me... my score dropped 4 pts from FL3

Just took Kaplan FL 10 and FML. 30 -- 9, 12, 9.

Really troubling that my VR score is stagnant and my PS score is also stagnant at 8-9. BS is so variable, 3 on diagnostic, 11 on FL1, 8 on FL 7, and 9 today on FL 10. I'm guessing my BS is about an 8.

Takeaways:
  • Must..force..self .. to not be ...deathly bored ...with ..passages.
  • Going wayyyy too slow. In PS and BS I noticed that at the 45 minute mark, I've done about 20 questions, sometimes less. So in that last 45 minutes I knock out over 60% of the section, and this shows in my score -- I'm missing more on the second half of the section
  • Each time I have to literally just guess on a passage, at least one whole passage I just put all B
  • Content review is still getting me: I am way behind on Bio, need to MEMORIZE so many physics equations (and units , how to derive units), and even chem things like pKa and electrochem I'm way behind
  • Extremely frustrated that even my strength VR is not budging. I am thinking Kaplan's VR strategy is kinda worthless. I waste so much time "mapping" the passage that I don't have enough time to get to everything - plus I eventually have to go back to the passage anyways,.
  • On PS missed 23/52 (didn't even mark answer for 3 of them)
  • On VR I missed 13/40 (and still got a 12!?)
  • On BS missed 24/52
Still aiming for that 35 though!!

Hey @Tradewinds did you ever take that practice test?

@aimingforthat45 I've heard that Kaplan tests are fairly accurate score-wise to what you will get on the real thing. I've PMd several people and many said their actual score was closer to their AAMC average and a few said it was closer to their Kaplan average

:clap:Even though you aren't at your target yet, your consistency shows you don't have gapping holes in your content which is certainly a good thing. I hear you on the slow thing so at this point, I'm not much help with tips.

I decided to work on finishing my review of Gen Chem in entirety (and almost finish Bio) before taking any exams...it's just been so long since I've done GC (7yrs) I didn't want to completely kill my confidence with a terrible score because of unfinished content review. Today I am working on taking the AAMC Self Assessments. I decided to do those first as opposed to a FL. Then I plan on working on my identified weak spots for the next 4 days before taking my first FL. I think I'm psyching myself out a bit....but it feels good to be working on actual AAMC material. Will update with some scores soon =) o_O

:clap:Even though you aren't at your target yet, your consistency shows you don't have gapping holes in your content which is certainly a good thing. I hear you on the slow thing so at this point, I'm not much help with tips.

I decided to work on finishing my review of Gen Chem in entirety (and almost finish Bio) before taking any exams...it's just been so long since I've done GC (7yrs) I didn't want to completely kill my confidence with a terrible score because of unfinished content review. Today I am working on taking the AAMC Self Assessments. I decided to do those first as opposed to a FL. Then I plan on working on my identified weak spots for the next 4 days before taking my first FL. I think I'm psyching myself out a bit....but it feels good to be working on actual AAMC material. Will update with some scores soon =) o_O

Thanks for the encouragement lol, love the emoticon. How is the AAMC self-assessment package? I was thinking that I should probably start working on it myself. Is it good even if your not done with content review? Or would it only be useful after having finished your content review? With a month left and limited time I'm so unsure of where to allocate my time resources! For example, de-briefing all these FLs takes me at LEAST twice as long as going through them, and I wonder if my time can be better used elsewhere. (Then again, taking a 15-minute email/SDN break after going every passage certainly can't be helping either!)

Just finished the Gen Chem one and got an 82% which I am fairly happy with =) (average for all test takers was 66% - 25.1 but they don't score this the same way as the FLs) Many of the areas I had trouble in are simple to fix so that keeps me positive. The package might actually work out really well for you because you can break it up into all 5 subjects so if you are only finished with one particular area of review, you can just do that set of passages. This is pretty much why I started out with them. I did a forum search and the consensus was that the passages are slightly easier than the other FLs but still very representative (can't beat AAMC material, right?) They give full explanations and separate all the topic areas by percentages....the layout is really nice for doing a full assessment of your weak spots, try it out!

Just took Kaplan FL 10 and FML. 30 -- 9, 12, 9.

Really troubling that my VR score is stagnant and my PS score is also stagnant at 8-9. BS is so variable, 3 on diagnostic, 11 on FL1, 8 on FL 7, and 9 today on FL 10. I'm guessing my BS is about an 8.

Takeaways:
  • Must..force..self .. to not be ...deathly bored ...with ..passages.
  • Going wayyyy too slow. In PS and BS I noticed that at the 45 minute mark, I've done about 20 questions, sometimes less. So in that last 45 minutes I knock out over 60% of the section, and this shows in my score -- I'm missing more on the second half of the section
  • Each time I have to literally just guess on a passage, at least one whole passage I just put all B
  • Content review is still getting me: I am way behind on Bio, need to MEMORIZE so many physics equations (and units , how to derive units), and even chem things like pKa and electrochem I'm way behind
  • Extremely frustrated that even my strength VR is not budging. I am thinking Kaplan's VR strategy is kinda worthless. I waste so much time "mapping" the passage that I don't have enough time to get to everything - plus I eventually have to go back to the passage anyways,.
  • On PS missed 23/52 (didn't even mark answer for 3 of them)
  • On VR I missed 13/40 (and still got a 12!?)
  • On BS missed 24/52
Still aiming for that 35 though!!

Hey @Tradewinds did you ever take that practice test?

@aimingforthat45 I've heard that Kaplan tests are fairly accurate score-wise to what you will get on the real thing. I've PMd several people and many said their actual score was closer to their AAMC average and a few said it was closer to their Kaplan average

Yeah. I've heard for some Kaplan is higher for some, lower for some, and for some, the same as their AAMC. I was thinking GS is better because of the heavy calculation. The last PS (June 5th exam date) was hard PS wise (had a lot of calculation stuff when I was reading the thread, and that might be the trend?) , and GS is known for their hard PS (as is TPR online stuff). Idk about Kaplan though. I mean if you can practice with GS, TPR, Kaplan, and AAMC, that should suffice haha. each have their own strengths/weaknesses. I guess bottom line is that you can't have enough practice haha.

How are you guys on prep? I'm finishing up content review in the next week and then I'm moving onto GS tests (and some TPR online). I can't really use the AAMC tests since I'm a second time retaker, so their predictability is gone. But i will use them to study and practice with, just not use it as a way to accurately gauge my score.

Just over a month left!! I had to take the last week or so completely off to pump out my application stuff, but I'm back and ready to go haha

@HinduHammer - I would say really focus on getting your timing down, even if it means neglecting content review...It's better to have 5 minutes to review questions at the end and not have a couple formulas memorized I think. Keep up the hard work though, I think your goal is still attainable!

@aimingforthat45 - I agree, I think each company has its strengths and weaknesses, and really it's best just to fit lots of practice in rather than worrying about which is best (although of course AAMC takes priority).

I recently finished going through all content review in TPR, so now I'm focusing on practice and doing 4-5 chapters of Kaplan content review each day for sort of a 2nd overview to cement my knowledge. I think I have a pretty good understanding of stuff, so at this point familiarity/memorization is key for me.

Last week I wrote AAMC 5 and scored a 39 - PS 14, VR 12, BS 13. If anyone has taken this exam and can shed some light on passage 3 in BS for me, that would be much appreciated. I managed to get most of the questions right, but I feel like I'm lacking in a solid understanding of the passage.

Just over a month left!! I had to take the last week or so completely off to pump out my application stuff, but I'm back and ready to go haha

@HinduHammer - I would say really focus on getting your timing down, even if it means neglecting content review...It's better to have 5 minutes to review questions at the end and not have a couple formulas memorized I think. Keep up the hard work though, I think your goal is still attainable!

@aimingforthat45 - I agree, I think each company has its strengths and weaknesses, and really it's best just to fit lots of practice in rather than worrying about which is best (although of course AAMC takes priority).

I recently finished going through all content review in TPR, so now I'm focusing on practice and doing 4-5 chapters of Kaplan content review each day for sort of a 2nd overview to cement my knowledge. I think I have a pretty good understanding of stuff, so at this point familiarity/memorization is key for me.

Last week I wrote AAMC 5 and scored a 39 - PS 14, VR 12, BS 13. If anyone has taken this exam and can shed some light on passage 3 in BS for me, that would be much appreciated. I managed to get most of the questions right, but I feel like I'm lacking in a solid understanding of the passage.

What is the passage about? I haven't taken the AAMCs yet. I'm almost done going through the content stuff for Bio (like the body systems). What is really really helping me is reading my original textbook (I have Vander's Physiology 12th edition). It's a godsend for the body systems. I read that and am doing BR Bio and get mid 80% and even some 90% (got a 93% once haha). So if you're having trouble with something, look it up in your original bio textbooks- it has really helped me cement my understanding of topics. Bio has been my weak spot so I'm hitting it with BR Bio, TPR SW, TPR ICC, and TPR online Bio stuff. I have some Kaplan stuff that I plan to get to as well.

I honestly need to change my test date, all you guys are ranging in the 34-40s... wt%!!!!!
the bell curve will be extremely awful, sigh..

I got an 11 on that Bio section and from what I remember, I only missed one question for that passage. I didn't really have a solid understanding of what was going on but I could reason through the questions to get my score

i just did an online TPR cracking VR test (just the VR section, since I already did most of the online tests last time, so I don't want to take it as a test because it's lost its predictability, instead I'm taking them as sectionals). I got a 30/40, or a 9. I thought the verbal was pretty hard, and some answers were toooo passage specific. anyone else think the same? Also, I keep having trouble in verbal with the questions that ask for "most supports" or "most strengthens" or "most weakens" etc. anyone have a good strategy for these types of questions. more than half of my mistakes were due to this type of question.

i just did an online TPR cracking VR test (just the VR section, since I already did most of the online tests last time, so I don't want to take it as a test because it's lost its predictability, instead I'm taking them as sectionals). I got a 30/40, or a 9. I thought the verbal was pretty hard, and some answers were toooo passage specific. anyone else think the same? Also, I keep having trouble in verbal with the questions that ask for "most supports" or "most strengthens" or "most weakens" etc. anyone have a good strategy for these types of questions. more than half of my mistakes were due to this type of question.

For that question type, I just try to keep in mind that they aren't looking for the only answer that will strengthen/weaken, but rather the one that will do it the most... So refer heavily back to the passage, and test each one - e.g. if B is true, then is this argument now stronger or weaker, and by how much?

I'm starting to think that the Kaplan full lengths have laughably easy curves...
I just took Kaplan FL 3 and scored a 43 (PS 13, VR 15, BS 15). But get this - I got 11 questions wrong on PS and still managed a 13, and 6 wrong on the BS and scored a 15! That just seems unreasonable...

Greetings one and all from a re-applicant. I took the MCAT last July and just went through the hellacious gauntlet known as applying to medical school without getting in. I just signed up 5 minutes ago to retake the MCAT for the July 12 date with all of you. I'll be taking it in Orem, Utah. Even though I'm retaking the MCAT (I got a 29 last time, 9PS/11VR/9BS) I feel like I still may have some good insight that I can provide to anyone about the test. Feel free to ask me questions about either the MCAT or anything else about applying. I'm glad to join the group!

Greetings one and all from a re-applicant. I took the MCAT last July and just went through the hellacious gauntlet known as applying to medical school without getting in. I just signed up 5 minutes ago to retake the MCAT for the July 12 date with all of you. I'll be taking it in Orem, Utah. Even though I'm retaking the MCAT (I got a 29 last time, 9PS/11VR/9BS) I feel like I still may have some good insight that I can provide to anyone about the test. Feel free to ask me questions about either the MCAT or anything else about applying. I'm glad to join the group!

if you don't mind me asking, what's your stats like? did you apply broadly? the reason for non-acceptance was primarily because of mcat score? that verbal score is awesome!
good luck! i just took mine on june 5th.

Welcome! Question - do you think applying late-ish had anything to do with you not getting in. Though there's nothing I can do about it now, I was always a little worried that getting back my scores on August 15th would be a little late.

Another question - how did you prepare last time, how long did you prepare, what was the trajectory of your practice tests (did your scores go up throughout preparation or not really), and finally did your real MCAT score match the average of your practice tests? Thanks!

Welcome! Question - do you think applying late-ish had anything to do with you not getting in. Though there's nothing I can do about it now, I was always a little worried that getting back my scores on August 15th would be a little late.

Another question - how did you prepare last time, how long did you prepare, what was the trajectory of your practice tests (did your scores go up throughout preparation or not really), and finally did your real MCAT score match the average of your practice tests? Thanks!

Hey it is not late at all. If you submit your primary application before you get your score back like after you take your exam you will still be in good shape, although it will not be an advantage, but certainly will not be a disadvantage. My older sibling previously took a late July exam and applied the first month of September received multiple interviews late winter and ultimately got an acceptance during spring. The way I personally see it is that people who apply mad early are deficient somewhere or they took the MCAT between September - May early enough to apply during that timeframe. Also they could be reapplicants.

if you don't mind me asking, what's your stats likelike? did you apply broadly? the reason for non-acceptance was primarily because of mcat score? that verbal score is awesome!
good luck! i just took mine on june 5th.
I applied to 13 MD programs and no DO's. I was on the waitlist at the University of Utah up until last Tuesday. My GPA wasn't very good but I was banking on my EC's getting me through (which, with all modesty, I feel are pretty darn stellar. Apparently Utah agreed enough to keep me around on the wait list til last week.) I applied with a 3.42 overall GPA and a 3.3 Science GPA. Yep, low GPA, due to me putting my collegiate energies into the aforementioned EC's.

This year following a solid final year of college (4.0 both semesters!) I'm applying with a calculated AMCAS cumulative GPA of 3.51 and science GPA of 3.46.
I attribute no acceptance to a low GPA and a rather meh MCAT score that didn't pull the academic side of things up for me. I also attribute it to late applying as AMCAS was really really backed up last year; I submitted July 13, and it was processed September 6... Yea. AMCAS said they would let all the medical schools know about the back log of applications but according to several conversations that I had with other students who didn't get in this year, this didn't seem to have much effect on most schools in their selection process. Secondaries from the schools didn't arrive until the second and third weeks of September. Given my low GPA I needed to apply earlier on.

Concerning getting your scores back in mid August: you can still get your transcripts and application in early (which is what I'm doing)- this will be helpful because the application verification process can take several weeks. When you get your scores back you can add more schools to your AMCAS list of schools with relative ease.

In retrospect, I didn't put anywhere near as much time into MCAT prep as I should have. My original plan was to finish school in April and then take the MCAT in May. I did zero MCAT prep during the spring semester so I bumped my date to July 2. I decided to take the first block of summer semester as well because my academic curriculum dictated the need for this. Therefore, I had May and June for summer classes, the primary application, and some MCAT time. My study materials were mostly just AAMC practice tests and a few Khan academy videos. Moral of the story, I did not devote the appropriate time to the MCAT which is reflected in my score.

This time around I'll probably borrow a buddy's Kaplan books and look for some practice tests. And I have a bit more time this time around to prepare!

I took all of the AAMC practice tests available, and I mixed the order of when I took them so that I took them in this order:

AAMC 3- 25 (8, 8, 9)
AAMC 8- 23 (7, 8, 8) (I was pretty discouraged after this test!)
AAMC 4- 27 (8, 9, 10)
AAMC 5- 29 (10, 9, 10)
AAMC 9- 28 (8, 10, 10)
AAMC 11- 29 (8,10,11)
AAMC 10- 32 (9, 10, 13)
AAMC 7- 33 (11, 11, 11)

My mean avg. was a 28.25 (PS 8.6, VR 9.4, BS 10.3) and the median avg. was a 28.5. Actual was a 29 (PS 9, VR 11, BS 9).

I felt like AAMC practice test 11 was the most accurate compared to the real thing, ESPECIALLY the Bio section, it felt very similar for me. I absolutely choked on the BS section on the real test, hence the 9 I scored. I hope that this information helps a bit!

Hope I didn't kill the thread with my exhausting personal history! How are the studies coming along for everyone?

Hope I didn't kill the thread with my exhausting personal history! How are the studies coming along for everyone?
Things have been going well. I woke up today feeling awful and I feel guilty if I take a day off today to rest up. Do you think I can afford it?

Things have been going well. I woke up today feeling awful and I feel guilty if I take a day off today to rest up. Do you think I can afford it?
Resting and relaxing are definitely important- when I studied I took Sundays off and this helped a lot. If you don't take time to relax, you will actually retain less. Be sure to exercise every day, whether its basketball, lifting weights, or going dancing.

On the flip side of things, if you've already been taking time off a bit of time lately to relax, I would at least study for maybe an hour today.

Resting and relaxing are definitely important- when I studied I took Sundays off and this helped a lot. If you don't take time to relax, you will actually retain less. Be sure to exercise every day, whether its basketball, lifting weights, or going dancing.

On the flip side of things, if you've already been taking time off a bit of time lately to relax, I would at least study for maybe an hour today.

I agree. Definitely important to take some chill time. I hang out with my roomies every evening, and I've been doing lots of yoga/pilates/hiking, etc. Otherwise I'd be going crazy!

Took AMMC 7 today and scored a 43 (PS 14, VR 15, BS 14). :D

Hope all is going well for all of you guys. Just over a month left now!!

I agree. Definitely important to take some chill time. I hang out with my roomies every evening, and I've been doing lots of yoga/pilates/hiking, etc. Otherwise I'd be going crazy!

Took AMMC 7 today and scored a 43 (PS 14, VR 15, BS 14). :D

Hope all is going well for all of you guys. Just over a month left now!!
Geez Mr./Ms. Smartie Pants! Maybe I'll start doing yoga...

Hey guys, hope all is going well.

I took, GS 1 and I got a 33 (11, 11, 11). I'm kind of disappointed, but I also am not used to GS exams. I'm taking these because I'm a retakeer and I did all the AAMCs last time through.

@beatlemaniac holy mother of god. I would give my left nut to get that score. keep up the good work!

I would definitely know the kinematics equations! (ie delta x = vot+1/2at^2, etc.)

hello all.

I recently switched to this date, been putting the MCAT off for 2+ years and am committed to this date now and finally getting it overwith.

good luck everyone with the last month of prep!

@aimingforthat45 If you don't mind my asking, what is GS? I'm not familiar with that program. Your verbal score is great, which is good cause it's the hardest to improve, and you've still got a month to work on the sciences. I'm sure you'll do great!

@Ginred I might not credit yoga with my test scores, but it definitely helps with the sanity aspect! Get your downward dog on :) haha
And yeah, the kinematics equations are definitely worth knowing. I pick and choose which formulas to memorize though...some (like kinematics) are used a lot, and others are rarely seen (and they normally give you the formula if you need it).

question- just found out my TPR access ends july 2nd.....so I'm going to have 10 days that I need other material to use, a few practice tests maybe- does anyone have suggestions to what's best? I'll have taken all the AAMC's by that point, and a few TPRs and was thinking of buying GS.