The Official July 2, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else taking it this July 2nd?!

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same problem. How much time are you finishing with? And maybe it's more of your ochem than your bio?

i make a lot of educated guesses between 2 choices in ochem, but overall i do pretty well on them, so i do not think that's it. i finished my last 2 practice tests with like 15-20 mins left in bio, so clearly i am not spending enough time analyzing the passages.

Hell yeah, 31 on FL#8.

Went from 7 to 10 in PS lol

EDIT: 11/11 social sciences, 11/12 natural sciences/tech, 9/17 humanities for verbal. YIKES.

I have the hardest time with inference questions for Verbal. Half the time I pick the correct answer first and change it and half the time I just don't infer correctly enough? If that makes sense. But still not bad. get 1 wrong per passage... really trying to just get a bit more practice and shave off some time, finish earlier with each practice but still trying to get the same number correct. Hopefully that will prepare me for the length of passages and q's this time around.
Guys...time time time. Gotta keep an eye out. Don't be fooled by finishing with 15 on practice, b/c most of the time you won't. (Individuals who tutored subjects in school might be able to do that). I just always throw that out there....b/c I was one of those ppl finishing with 15/20 min to spare.
Def know how to read graphs well. Meaning pay attention to what info they are conveying.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i just don't know how people get 13-15s in verbal practice exams. I should have read more as a kid :/

lol i just don't know how people get 13-15s in verbal practice exams. I should have read more as a kid :/

YOU READY?!?!?!

I think POE is our best friend for verbal, even more so than reading comprehension. At least with the humanities questions.

YOU READY?!?!?!

I think POE is our best friend for verbal, even more so than reading comprehension. At least with the humanities questions.

POE is definitely a valuable tool. and if you don't know, pick the weirdest looking answer hahaha kidding... sorta.

what's everyone doing the day before? I feel guilty taking the day completely off. idk... maybe light content review? part of me wants to take a full length lmao

POE is definitely a valuable tool. and if you don't know, pick the weirdest looking answer hahaha kidding... sorta.

what's everyone doing the day before? I feel guilty taking the day completely off. idk... maybe light content review? part of me wants to take a full length lmao

That's... typically what I do for extremely abstract articles. Like that aamc 7 passage about the guy strolling through the forest just absolutely fascinated by flowers, dead horses, and bees while talking about sandstorms.

I'm skipping summer classes tomorrow, might take 2 FLs....

I don't understand taking the day off before the MCAT. Don't you want to stay in the mindset until the test is over? I also woke up with the urge to take a full length today... I keep having fears that I forgot how to take an MCAT and its only been 2 days since my last one.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand taking the day off before the MCAT. Don't you want to stay in the mindset until the test is over? I also woke up with the urge to take a full length today... I keep having fears that I forgot how to take an MCAT and its only been 2 days since my last one.

Yeah I'm about to start a FL, may do 2 today. Depends on how I'm feeling.

I don't get the "you don't want to burn yourself out" thing. I guarantee when you're in that room, your sympathetic nervous system is going to kick into high gear no matter what lol

I took the MCAT this April and got 11/6/14 (I don't know how I got that 14 in BS tbh) and my goal for this mcat was to improve my verbal.
Before I took my April MCAT, I took AAMC #3,10,11 and received the following scores:
AAMC #3: 10/8/11
AAMC #10: 9/5/10
AAMC #11: 12/6/10 (Took this the day before my exam, haha, the VR score was a slap to my face)
Average AAMC: 29

I took AAMCs #4-5 & 7-9 in preparation for this time around and received the following:
AAMC #4: 12/10/11
AAMC #5: 11/9/12
AAMC #7: 13/8/10
AAMC #8: 12/8/12
AAMC #9: 13/10/12
Average AAMC: 33

It sucks I never got an 11 or above on any VR practice material: TPR, EK, AAMC.. I really hope AAMC is a good indicator because at this point I just hope I can get a 10. I do agree with POE being a great asset. I just finished doing AAMC #9 and for the 1st 3 I felt good and pumped up and for the last 4 I started losing focus but managed to get some questions right due to POE.

I'm just going to review basic notes and brush up on details that may show up as FSQ. I wouldn't focus too much on reviewing your strong points since by now you should know them.
Best of Luck to all.

Last edited:
I took the MCAT this April and got 11/6/14 (I don't know how I got that 14 in BS tbh) and my goal for this mcat was to improve my verbal.
Before I took my April MCAT, I took AAMC #3,10,11 and received the following scores:
AAMC #3: 10/8/11
AAMC #10: 9/5/10
AAMC #11: 12/6/10 (Took this the day before my exam, haha, the VR score was a slap to my face)
Average AAMC: 29

I took AAMCs #4-5 & 7-9 in preparation for this time around and received the following:
AAMC #4: 12/10/11
AAMC #5: 11/9/12
AAMC #7: 13/8/10
AAMC #8: 12/8/12
AAMC #9: 13/10/12
Average AAMC: 33

It sucks I never got an 11 or above on any VR practice material: TPR, EK, AAMC.. I really hope AAMC is a good indicator because at this point I just hope I can get a 10. I do agree with POE being a great asset. I just finished doing AAMC #9 and for the 1st 3 I felt good and pumped up and for the last 4 I started losing focus but managed to get some questions right due to POE.

I'm just going to review basic notes and brush up on details that may show up as FSQ. I wouldn't focus too much on reviewing your strong points since by now you should know them.
Best of Luck to all.

impressive sciences wow. why do you think you did so much better on the real sciences than your previous practices? I'd love for that to happen

Best of luck everybody! Going to do one last BS section and call it from there and rest the entire day. We got this!!

I wish I knew. On test day, I marked 11 questions for PS and 13 questions for BS, I had not a single second to go over them. I finished right as time expired on both science sections. Even though I did not get to go over them, I felt PS was pretty straightforward. But, BS seemed very hard to me but I told myself maybe I'm just thinking of all the hard questions. Maybe I got lucky with my 1st answer choice in BS. Maybe the curve was generous.. But, I definitely learned that one's impression on the mcat does not always translate to reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone! Random question, does the picture they take at the center get sent to schools? Because I'm kinda rocking the afro that I will probably cut before interviews.

Good luck to everyone! Random question, does the picture they take at the center get sent to schools? Because I'm kinda rocking the afro that I will probably cut before interviews.

haha I plan on scrubbing out tomorrow. straight comfort. I wouldn't worry about the photo

anyone else feel like our thread is significantly more dead than every other date's mcat thread? haha.

anyone else feel like our thread is significantly more dead than every other date's mcat thread? haha.

Yeah, it is. I guess people want to relax before their 4th of July weekend. I myself want to relax knowing that my MCAT is done.

Just got an 11 on physics, I thought I did awful.
^Let this be a lesson: when you've finished your MCAT and they try to get you to void twice, just ignore them and submit. You probably did better than you think!

The photo is just for them, so they can make sure you did not cheat and that it corresponds to the ID you are shown. They fingerprint and stuff too, its a lot of high tech stuff just to make sure we don't do anything fishy!

Hahaha I agree! I think it is because we started this late and at that point we were already deep into the studying we did not bother to message much. Most of the active ones are those in August and such, so they have time to relax. I spent a lot less time on SDN these past 2 weeks, since I noticed coming on here as a 'break' or when I was not studying made my head hurt @_@

The photo is just for them, so they can make sure you did not cheat and that it corresponds to the ID you are shown. They fingerprint and stuff too, its a lot of high tech stuff just to make sure we don't do anything fishy!

Hahaha I agree! I think it is because we started this late and at that point we were already deep into the studying we did not bother to message much. Most of the active ones are those in August and such, so they have time to relax. I spent a lot less time on SDN these past 2 weeks, since I noticed coming on here as a 'break' or when I was not studying made my head hurt @_@

haha agreed. I think SDN, as helpful as it is as times, just causes me tremendous anxiety lol. really hoping for a miracle 30 tomorrow. #lordhelpme

Anyone else feel like they forgot all of science? I keep doing problems to remind myself I didn't forget everything.

I hope

1. PS is the harder section
2. Verbal passages are easy to read
3. BS is not orgo heavy like the June 21st mcat

:D

Just got a 31 on FL10. Okay. I'm done for the night. MY BRAIN HURTZ AND ST00FS.

I actually kind of hope that PS is the hardest section, too. I'm most worried about verbal now.

Flipping through the Kaplan quicksheets a few more times...and then maybe I'll call it a day.
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

For verbal, I am going to try to focus as much as I can and try to be as engaged as possible. I tend to do best that way. I don't anticipate the passages to be easy reads. Also I'm going to try not to spend more than a few seconds on each question. Read the q, read the answers, apply POE, pick an answer choice, and move on. And who knows, the 6th and 7th passages could be relatively easy and if we waste time on earlier/"harder" passages then that's lost points either way. And after every passage, take a deep breath and clear my mind of the last passage.

I thought PS was ok, but due to nerves stuck too long on the first passage and might have made some mistakes. VR was the worst honestly. I feel like I didn't get any right. BS was ok aslo!

Physics was ridiculous more concept based and vr passages were longer. Bio was the easiest one for me. But I feel like I just got my ass kicked real bad.

PS:
I thought this section was extremely difficult. The first passage somehow managed to combine like three completely unrelated topics, and the passages after that didn't seem to be any easier. Predicted: 7-10

Verbal:
Maybe it's just because this was the first time I was able to take a verbal test without dogs barking in the background, but this went surprisingly well. I thought the passages were for the most part very easy to comprehend, and the questions didn't seem all THAT bad. Predicted: 10-13

BS:
I was delighted with this. I got a whole passage on one of my favorite topics, and a bunch of discrete questions on this topic as well. Some of the questions had me going WTF, but I suppose that's the MCAT for you. Predicted: 10-13

One thing the MCAT taught me: the 2015 version is going to be awful.

EDIT: Just googled one of the WTF discrete questions, got it right. Yay. :)

Last edited:
^^^ Agree 100% with what INVINCIBLE said, on all accounts including the 2015 MCAT

how do you guys know the verbal section was longer? Are you sure it wasn't just that the text window was smaller and the text was bigger? (that wasthe case with mine when I took it which gave me the illusion it was longer)

how do you guys know the verbal section was longer? Are you sure it wasn't just that the text window was smaller and the text was bigger? (that wasthe case with mine when I took it which gave me the illusion it was longer)

To be fair, I usually finished practice sections with 5+ minutes remaining. By the time I finished this verbal I had like 2 minutes left. Some anecdotal evidence!

PS:
I thought this section was extremely difficult. The first passage somehow managed to combine like three completely unrelated topics, and the passages after that didn't seem to be any easier. Predicted: 7-10

Verbal:
Maybe it's just because this was the first time I was able to take a verbal test without dogs barking in the background, but this went surprisingly well. I thought the passages were for the most part very easy to comprehend, and the questions didn't seem all THAT bad. Predicted: 10-13

BS:
I was delighted with this. I got a whole passage on one of my favorite topics, and a bunch of discrete questions on this topic as well. Some of the questions had me going WTF, but I suppose that's the MCAT for you. Predicted: 10-13

One thing the MCAT taught me: the 2015 version is going to be awful.
Hahahaha same here, I felt like I was rushing through physics because I spent too much time on one of the passages. And one ofthe passages was easssyyy. I was like thank God. VR, the passages were easy to comprehend but bit longer than aamc ones. bio was a win for me atleast that's what it felt like

Reactions: 1 users

I don't think the verbal was actually any longer than practice passages, it just may seem longer due to the font size/screen resolution. I finished all of my practices with between 2-4 minutes remaining. I finished this with 3 minutes remaining

Right. I thought it was about the same as usual.

Off to the boat with a thing of wine coolers, I'll talk with you all later :)

CONGRATS ON ALL OF US FOR MAKING IT THROUGH THIS BEAST, REGARDLESS OF HOW WE SCORED.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm may be. Aamc FL had like 5 -6 paragraphs but this one seemed to have up to 7