The Official May 17, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oobie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there. I thought I'd kick things off for this test date. I was previously planning to take the MCAT in January, but I was doing horribly on the practice tests and did not prepare correctly, so I had to reschedule. Good luck and hello!

Members don't see this ad.

For those that finished early on verbal...do you guys skim passages or just spend a good 3 min reading and do the questions without referring back?

I read the passages all the way through. I asked about that in my prep course, because I just happen to be the SLOWEST reader ever, and my instructor (who scored in the 99th percentile, lol) advised the same thing. it takes more times, yes, but for me at least, it also helps me get a MUCH better idea of the overall message, and of the "implicit" or "suggested" things, which much of the questions ask about. but with that, obviously read QUICKLY, and don't get toooo caught up on trying to comprehend every detail as you go. In kaplan they also teach you to "passage map", meaning to scribble down key points after each paragraph, but I never do that. . . I do however recommend looking back at the passage if you are at all unsure. because I'm always surprised at the number of questions that are literally taken right from the passage, and also the number of WRONG answers that use certain details from the passage but in a faulty manner to trick you.

I finished with about 6 minutes to spare, reading all the way, and being a slow reader.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those that finished early on verbal...do you guys skim passages or just spend a good 3 min reading and do the questions without referring back?
I read the passage quickly, paying attention to what each paragraph is talking about (like passage mapping, but without writing it down...just remember it.). From that, I have the overall message/thesis of the passage and the tone. Then I answer the questions--usually if there are 6 questions, 2 are answerable without referring back and the remaining 4 it's safest to find a specific quotation in the passage text that supports your response. For those four, I know generally where everything is, so I go and find it (usually skimming the paragraph or two I know it is in until I hit a keyword--then fully reading the sentences around it). Actually even out of the 4 that need referring back, usually 2 have answers that are so different that you can eliminate three without using the passage again.
I luck out since I'm a really fast reader, but this overall method has worked pretty well for me (VR average = 12). Finished with 20 min remaining on VR so even if you read slowly you should be able to fully read the passages.

My research is actually centered on the content in one of the biology passages, so it was pretty nifty to see that. Other than that, I don't want to jinx myself, but I didn't think it was as bad as I anticipated it to be.
I always take my time on Verbal, but I'm also a really slow reader as well. I read questions first then skim the passage and pay more attention when I come across a paragraph or sentence that a question is focused on. It's worked in my favor as I score between 10-12.

I feel so weird about this exam. I took the MCAT last year and thought I did alright on the sciences afterwards (most difficult PS ever, and anyone looking at my AAMC scores knows PS is my strong suit) and knew I bombed the verbal because I spaced out. I ended up with 11 in both sciences (below my avg) and a whopping 6 on VR lol, which were pretty consistent with post test feelings.

This time, I feel... NOTHING. I'm just whatever about it. I knew on the exam I was generating the correct answers using formulas without any doubts. I just don't know how I feel about this whole thing.

How representative were the different practice FL's (AAMC, Kaplan, TBR, TPRH, EK, etc.) of this exam?

TPR mock exam was wayyyyy too hard and with too many super specific content questions.

AAMC is, of course, the best representation. Difficulty and content. Kaplan's freebie (the free one they offer when they try to trick you into signing up for their course) had a verbal that was of comparable difficulty.

So you did not feel like you had a lot of super specific content questions thrown at you in the discretes & pseudo-discretes?

Have you taken any of the AAMC FLs? It's just like that...2-3 wtf I would not have know this even if I studied another 6 months questions and everything else is covered within the scope of prep materials (I self-studied using TPR and Kaplan) or derivable from passages. I'd say....60% derivable from passages and 40% using content to extrapolate more info from the passage or discrete questions. If anyone else felt different please chime in.

Have you taken any of the AAMC FLs? It's just like that...2-3 wtf I would not have know this even if I studied another 6 months questions and everything else is covered within the scope of prep materials (I self-studied using TPR and Kaplan) or derivable from passages. I'd say....60% derivable from passages and 40% using content to extrapolate more info from the passage or discrete questions. If anyone else felt different please chime in.
I felt the same in that a majority of the answers are pretty much "given" to you if you can understand the passages. With physics though, it definitely helps to know your formulas and know how to apply them. I was able to answer a majority of PS by only skimming the passage for the information that I need.
BS is the same. It's always useful to look back to find support for your answer, but if you know it off the top of your head, it helps your speed tremendously. There were like 2 passages where I didn't even have to read the passage to answer the questions.
Now, you can always rely on the passages to provide most of the answers for you, but it's more reassuring if you know the material somewhat. I'm really lacking in the orgo department, so the discrete questions I had to sit and think about were orgo. Luckily, there were only a few, and I was able to narrow down answers with the basics that I knew. Orgo passage(s), I was able to read through and answer the questions with a good level of confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you did not feel like you had a lot of super specific content questions thrown at you in the discretes & pseudo-discretes?
Some of the discrete questions were really long, but they gave you the information that you needed to answer the question correctly. You do need some background knowledge and some vocabulary to answer the question correctly. And then there were a few where you either knew it off the top of your head or you didn't.

First and foremost, I'd like to congratulate you guys. Hard work always pays off, don't sweat it.

I also have my mcat coming up and I was wondering if the newer BS sections have a lot of experiment-based passages. Can anyone chime in?

If I remember correctly, there were 3 (?) experiment based passages on our BS section, with one of them being an orgo one. there was also one on the PS t00. I usually actually enjoy experiment passages, but I thought these ones were kind of difficult.

oh and I took the 5/17 one

Reactions: 1 users
I think the worst part was that I felt nothing as I took the test. Usually I get a feeling like oh man that was a bad test or that was good, I feel good but during the test I felt nothing.

And then I got home and was like omg what if I did horrible!? Like it was so deceivingly hard that I couldn't even tell??

Now I feel like I should have voided it something bc what if I end with like a 20 or something??

Im new to SDN and have been keeping up with you guys for the past month on this thread..and when I saw this post I had to agree. I felt exactly the same.. I had a "blank" feeling about the exam. wasnt sure what to feel. I wish I could at least lean towards good or bad but i can't even do that.. i honestly feel nothing.. i dont know if thats good or not. PS for me was calc heavy but it wasnt too bad as far as the calc itself.. there were so several wtf questions that i literally was just in a cloud wondering. there were also a few questions that seemed pretty straight forward from the psg but i still had to confirm the math and couldnt trust myself.. i was able to finish on time but definitely thought at the end of the section wtf was that about. I was pretty calm all throughout but i dont know if that helped at all.

VR: the psgs were easy to read but i found them a bit lengthy. unfortunately, i am also a slow reader and was not able to finish the last psg. had 5 mins to read and answer so i immediately put down guesses and then skimmed through and had 2 mins to try and answer the questions.

BS: min orgo and plenty of bio.. which i was glad. the discretes seemed straight forward as well as most psgs yet.. i still felt emotionally numb after the exam..

the waiting is killing me and i am probably going to schedule again just in case.. cant seem t find a happy thought about this exam. hope there are others on my boat. my gut wants me to feel happy but i just cant seem to go with that.. as usual.

for future takers: DO NOT change ur answers..

Is anyone else having the dilemma between completely relaxing after all the studying, but then also feeling like "****, I need to keep studying" in case you have to retake?

I have taken this entire week off studying since taking the test, and oh my word it's been nice. the thought of getting back into that intense studying mindset makes me cringe. I'm hoping by some miracle I won't have to retake.

To the post above me, preeeeeetty sure it was sarcasm (as indicated by the wink)

I signed up for another one. I'm not practicing passages, per say, but I am watching 2 hours of content videos a day to keep the content fresh.

When you say that PS was calc heavy, what are you comparing it to? How do the calc based questions compare to AAMC 9-11 in terms of both quantity and difficulty?

When you say that PS was calc heavy, what are you comparing it to? How do the calc based questions compare to AAMC 9-11 in terms of both quantity and difficulty?

It means what you think it means. IMO, AAMC 11 was light on actual calculations.

Last edited:
I have taken all this time off since the test. I've been traveling, but I'm worried about the grade expecially since I didn't feel one way or another about the test. I'm going to start studying while I wait for the results. Also, have you guy's noticed the scores won't come out until after the deadline for the MCAT that is within the timeframe to submit this year's app! :yuck:

I have taken all this time off since the test. I've been traveling, but I'm worried about the grade expecially since I didn't feel one way or another about the test. I'm going to start studying while I wait for the results. Also, have you guy's noticed the scores won't come out until after the deadline for the MCAT that is within the timeframe to submit this year's app! :yuck:

AMCAS won't send out any verified applications to schools until June 27th. Or 23rd. I'll try to find where I read that... either the AAMC facebook/twitter or one of the billion instruction manuals we've read -__-
Either way, submit on the 3rd (designate your state school or something), get verified around the 17th (2 weeks) and our scores are out anyways :)

You guys I just went creeping on the 4/24 date, they just got their scores yesterday, and now I am just getting so nervous I could poop my pants. for those that already signed up to retake, what date did you sign up for, and how are you studying during this waiting period?

You guys I just went creeping on the 4/24 date, they just got their scores yesterday, and now I am just getting so nervous I could poop my pants. for those that already signed up to retake, what date did you sign up for, and how are you studying during this waiting period?

You guys are signing up for retakes and studying before scores even come out?? Ouch that seems super depressing

You guys are signing up for retakes and studying before scores even come out?? Ouch that seems super depressing
Yeah, but just because where I'm at, if you wait that long to sign up, there won't be any spots left near you, or at least on the date you want. I know a girl who was in NC but had to drive all the way to georgia to take it when she wanted.

and if you go an entire month sans studying just to realize you have to retake, that's bad new bears. to me at least

I signed up for Aug 27th because I'm taking summer school back in my college town so I wouldn't be able to come back to take it. Also I signed up for a 1:00 because I feel better taking it in the afternoon

Ahhh I'm so worried guys :( One of my friends just got her score back from the April 21st date and she didn't even break 30....And she came out of it feeling more confident than I did on our May 17th date. Really hoping the curve is forgiving lol

Also if I do need to retake it, is taking it in July too late to apply this cycle?

My friend had taken it in August and he was accepted, but it depends were you want to apply. Our pre-med counselor said no latter than June 5th...

for a retake, I think july is fine. my pre-med advisor said that schools can see that youre taking it again so if you want you can submit the app without your second score. for first time though I'd obvs get it done way sooner

The biggest regret now is making too big a deal about this test. I should have used that energy instead to do practice problems; I did way too much content review. Advice:Stop studying if you did well in undergrad pre-med classes. Start by getting your own and borrow everyone's MCAT review questions and do as many as them as possible, only review the material you missed a question on and get back to the practice problems. Everyone says this, I didn't listen. :( Will you?

So you all aren't waiting until you have your first scores back to submit AMCAS? i thought that was required, or highly recommended...?

In my case, I already have one score, and this one is a retake. I'd rather get my application processed and be ready to go, as opposed to having to wait in line during the peak period.
Oh okay! yeah I just couldnt tell if you were talking about a retake or not. but that's exactly what I was planning to do as well! thanks for clarifying

In my case, I already have one score, and this one is a retake. I'd rather get my application processed and be ready to go, as opposed to having to wait in line during the peak period.
Same. Dat der verification process.

I signed up for a sept retake...may June 17th bring us all good news and that I only lose some money of registration fees and not my sanity for July and August.