*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a 506. I was hoping for higher but oh well. 128/125/126/127. Eh. Could that get me into an MD school you think? GPA is good (s3.6, c3.76).

Apply to your state schools if you are not from California, you should be a strong candidate there

Last edited:
Thanks. I actually got an JD/MBA. Always wanted to study medicine because I feel deep down I am more interested in medicine than anything else. Law and Business is basically all about money. Not sure that's what I really want to chase after for the rest of my career.

Last edited:
What did you get on scored and sample?

@baratheonfire
AAMC Real Thing
514 - CP: 128, CARS: 127, B/B: 129, P/S: 130

Scored FL (1 wk before exam)
516 - CP: 129 (88%)/CARS: 130 (89%)/B&B 128 (83%)/P/S 129 (88%)

Sample (1.5 months before exam)
78% C/P, 88% CARS, 78% B/B, 89% P/S

So I guess scored is fairly accurate about your score minus fricking CARS. Sorry, still not over it. Definitely do as many passages as you can. I worry I got overconfident and my lack of prep in the week leading up to the exam may have also contributed to my substantially lower CARS score.

Also, PSA that SB for everything is really hard. I got a 65-70% on all of them but still managed to do decently, so don't be disheartened nervous premeds reading this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! It looks like most people exceeded or stuck around their expected score.

I don't know how to feel about mine. Got a 510, which is better than I've scored on any practice test... but absolutely bombed CARS with a 124. :/ Knowing that I have the potential to bring a 510 up to something like a 512 by focusing more on CARS makes me want to retake.

Congrats everyone! It looks like most people exceeded or stuck around their expected score.

I don't know how to feel about mine. Got a 510, which is better than I've scored on any practice test... but absolutely bombed CARS with a 124. :/ Knowing that I have the potential to bring a 510 up to something like a 512 by focusing more on CARS makes me want to retake.

Definitely a risk too of lowering your composite score. Depends on your aspirations; some schools claim they won't take a subscore <125 in any category (no idea if this is a "strong recommendation" type thing or a hard and fast rule).

Last edited:
507. Is this score good enough to get into MD? URM as well. My goal is IS school (midwest/south). GPA is 3.5, strong upward trend. ECs need work though :/

@baratheonfire
AAMC Real Thing
514 - CP: 128, CARS: 127, B/B: 129, P/S: 130

Scored FL (1 wk before exam)
516 - CP: 129 (88%)/CARS: 130 (89%)/B&B 128 (83%)/P/S 129 (88%)

Sample (1.5 months before exam)
78% C/P, 88% CARS, 78% B/B, 89% P/S

So I guess scored is fairly accurate about your score minus fricking CARS. Sorry, still not over it. Definitely do as many passages as you can. I worry I got overconfident and my lack of prep in the week leading up to the exam may have also contributed to my substantially lower CARS score.

Also, PSA that SB for everything is really hard. I got a 65-70% on all of them but still managed to do decently, so don't be disheartened nervous premeds reading this.
What is SB?

Had some crappy scores in the past, got a 514, 129/126/129/130, last time I took a psych class was probably 2007, this score and a smp gpa of 3.76 hopefully will get me in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone!

Not so sure how to feel about my score. 510 overall with the following breakdown: 127/125/129/129. I was consistently scoring 127-129 on practice CARS so I'm not sure what happened here. Was trending toward 514 on practice exams but I'll take this for now!

Congrats to everyone!

Not so sure how to feel about my score. 510 overall with the following breakdown: 127/125/129/129. I was consistently scoring 127-129 on practice CARS so I'm not sure what happened here. Was trending toward 514 on practice exams but I'll take this for now!
it's a great score. don't let the extremely high scores in this thread make you think that your score isn't amazing! great job.

it's a great score. don't let the extremely high scores in this thread make you think that your score isn't amazing! great job.

Ha, the reported scores on here and reddit are so skewed to the right it's laughable. You would think average score is a 512 or something. What's the mean, 500? AAMC says a 514 is 92%, so I feel pretty good.

Thanks. I was really discouraged after doing SB. It was so hard compared to other practice tests I took.

I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127.The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck future physicians!!! :)

P.S. If you are interested I took the May 6th exam the third time.

Reactions: 1 users
practice scores?

The AAMC sample (the first one) I did early on and 61%/85%/76%/70% The scored practice exam I did 128/130/130/130 ...... pretty close to my actual test. I felt the p/c and b/b sections were the same in difficulty. The CARS and psy/soc sections on the actual test were just.....odd....

Hello!!!!! Not sure if this was asked but I didn't see it. I in the painful waiting stage, took on Jume 18th. Did anyone feel that one section was horrible hard and notice it was curved quite a bit? I had a nightmare C/P section and am hoping it get curved a ton.

I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127.The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck future physicians!!! :)

P.S. If you are interested I took the May 6th exam the third time.

Congratulations!! Definitely hope for the many discouraged by the MCAT - persistence and strategy is key.

493. What do I do? I'm planning on retaking it, but I want to apply this cycle.
I would take a step back and be realistic about what you do and do not understand, and by that score, you don't understand a lot of the content. If you have nothing to do, I'd suggest something like a full month of studying, like it was a full time job, and retake. That puts you at late August for a score showing up on amcas assuming you submit soon. If you can't study full time, you'll need longer, which will put you behind in the app process. Be honest with yourself about your expectations on the real test vs what you have been scoring on practice tests. Don't assume you'll do better on the real thing. Some people do better, the same, or worse, it's impossible to conclude where you will be. Start getting the score you want on practice tests, then take the real thing.

GUYS,

SO I'm looking for some advice. I just took my last Next Step Full Length today. I've done 6 total and have scored 503-508. And have taken TPR FL and scored a 500. I was just wondering how similar my score would be to the actual thing(I'm going to take the scored FL Wednesday since my test is on the 14th). My goal is honestly a 508-510. If I score in that range, I'll be a happy camper. Would I have a chance?

Also, what's worrying me is that my CARS score just keeps going down. Is it me or is NEXT STEP CARS convoluted?? Some answers are almost verbatim and others require you to do guesswork/inferences that I think is way beyond AAMC. uggh and my score has dropped from consistent 126 to 124, should I be worried? Or is Next STep's verbal just a crap shoot?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

How did you end up scoring on the actual exam? I've been scoring similar to you on the NS exams and want to know how they correlate