*** The Official USC School of Dentistry Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

does anyone know when the last interviews are?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who was waitlisted pre-December been accepted Since being waitlisted?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/12. Didn't think I did so hot and regretted many things I said and did.

Received acceptance today at 2! :eek:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 2/12. Didn't think I did so hot and regretted many things I said and did.

Received acceptance today at 2! :eek:

Good for You,
Congratulations!!! Celebrate and be happy!:happy:
Now prepare for 4 years of hard work ( but very satisfying too)!!:nailbiting:

From the admission office: class is full.
But even though some admitted people paid their deposit they can still decide to go someplace else and once situation like that happens the spot is vacant & you might have a chance to be accepted into that spot. These are just random cases and can occur at any time in the next few months.

From the admission office: class is full.
But even though some admitted people paid their deposit they can still decide to go someplace else and once situation like that happens the spot is vacant & you might have a chance to be accepted into that spot. These are just random cases and can occur at any time in the next few months.
Who from admissions said this? USC usually accepts well into summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Who from admissions said this? USC usually accepts well into summer.

Presently class is full but spaces become available.

Yes, the school will accept new students until a day before classes start but ONLY when such a spot becomes availabe due to an accepted student deciding to go to another school (mostly because of high tuition here and lower at other school). Once such a student informs the admission office that he/she is declining admission that spot becomes available and the next person on the WAITLIST is called and offered admission.
JUST A DOMINO EFFECT.
Dental schools do it because they must have a certain Number of students for D1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Class is not full, please don’t lose hope guys! However they switched to online , so I’m assuming the admissions committee is also away at this time. I think we should receive some news sometime in April (hopefully).

Reactions: 5 users
I was accepted to USC in December and had paid my deposit but recently found out I was accepted off the waitlist at my #1 school, so I’ll be giving up my spot in the class. Hopefully one of you guys gets my spot. Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have any idea as to how many spots are left and how many people are on the waitlist ? Or when they may start sending admissions?

I don't think they would do anything till15th April due to current situation.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

do you mind sharing your stats ?

Sorry, late response. I haven't checked my account since I posted ... Here's what I posted when I first received the interview invite:

Interview #2
Notification date:
1/14/20 (deferred), 1/22/20
Method of notification: Email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/12/2019
GPA (science, overall): 3.60, 3.63
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/24/24/27/none
Interview date: 2/12

Sorry, late response. I haven't checked my account since I posted ... Here's what I posted when I first received the interview invite:

Interview #2
Notification date:
1/14/20 (deferred), 1/22/20
Method of notification: Email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/12/2019
GPA (science, overall): 3.60, 3.63
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/24/24/27/none
Interview date: 2/12
Hey there, I had my interview on the same date as you did. Still no update yet though, :(

Presently class is full but spaces become available when someone withdraws their offer.

Yes, the school will accept students from the wait list before classes start but ONLY when such a spot becomes availabe due to someone else withdrawing the offer to attend. Once such a student informs the admission office that he/she is declining admission that spot becomes available and the next person on the WAITLIST is called and offered admission.
JUST A DOMINO EFFECT.
Dental schools do it because they must have a certain Number of students for D1.

Presently class is full but spaces become available when someone withdraws their offer.

Yes, the school will accept students from the wait list before classes start but ONLY when such a spot becomes availabe due to someone else withdrawing the offer to attend. Once such a student informs the admission office that he/she is declining admission that spot becomes available and the next person on the WAITLIST is called and offered admission.
JUST A DOMINO EFFECT.
what's your source of information of the class being filled?

JUST A DOMINO EFFECT.

Are you saying this in general for dental schools or specific for USC? Because my source tells me USC class is not filled yet.

This is process for the USC dental school. The information is from the Admission Committee at USC and ADEA. The number of accepted students is fixed.

More spaces will be available depending on movement of accepted candidates which happens all the way until the week before 1st day of classes
There is specific ranking of the Wait List determined by the Admission Committee but is not revealed to candidates as it is not hard set. The Dean looks at few candidates and makes a final approval and certainly can switch few people around.
From now on only few people will receive an offer as of April 1st all dental schools have a full class.
As of April applicants with mulitiple offers must declare only one school and can't keep multiple offers so only few more spots open up then.

Last edited:
Has anyone received their admissions packet yet?

I think for this point the class is pretty full already, (200+ people in FB group), we still in the wait list because ppl might give up their seats.

To the people that are taking out loans (no scholarships), how do you justify USC's ridiculous price?

To the people that are taking out loans (no scholarships), how do you justify USC's ridiculous price?

I wouldn’t consider it ridiculous. You’re paying for location, reputation, and being taught by world renowned doctors. Not to mention the costs the school has such as insurance and just the supplies in general are expensive to maintain. They just remodeled their sim labs, their facilities are up to date and extremely modern compared to many other schools I toured. They keep up and teach all the latest technologies in dentistry (costly). Additionally, the school has a solid alumni network and no graduating students (as far as I know) have had issues finding jobs and paying back their loans. It’s a lot but you’ll end up making a lot.

I wouldn’t consider it ridiculous. You’re paying for location, reputation, and being taught by world renowned doctors. Not to mention the costs the school has such as insurance and just the supplies in general are expensive to maintain. They just remodeled their sim labs, their facilities are up to date and extremely modern compared to many other schools I toured. They keep up and teach all the latest technologies in dentistry (costly). Additionally, the school has a solid alumni network and no graduating students (as far as I know) have had issues finding jobs and paying back their loans. It’s a lot but you’ll end up making a lot.
It is absolutely ridiculous. Tuition alone is over 100k and that's not including other mandatory fees that adds an additional 20k. Yes, you definitely will be paying for the location (though not in the way you mean) as the cost of living in LA is not cheap. Reputation and solid alumni networks are found at nearly every other dental school in the country and can be yours for 100-200k cheaper. Not to mention the salary in CA isn't really that high along with being saturated as hell with dentists.

I live an hour away from USC and if accepted, would decline their offer for another school across the country because I can't imagine spending 100k+ more for the same damn degree. IMO dentistry is not worth it if you have to take out over 400k in loans, unless you are really dedicated to living like a student for 8+ years after getting your degree

Last edited:
It is absolutely ridiculous. Tuition alone is over 100k and that's not including other mandatory fees that adds an additional 20k. Yes, you definitely will be paying for the location (though not in the way you mean) as the cost of living in LA is not cheap. Reputation and solid alumni networks are found at nearly every other dental school in the country and can be yours for 100-200k cheaper. Not to mention the salary in CA isn't really that high along with being saturated as hell with dentists.

I live an hour away from USC and declined their offer for another school across the country because I can't imagine spending 100k+ more for the same damn degree. IMO dentistry is not worth it if you have to take out over 400k in loans, unless you are really dedicated to living like a student for 8+ years after getting your degree

I respect your opinion, this is a very personal choice and I can only speak for myself. If USC is not your dream school and you consider the education the same at every other school I’m glad you gave up your spot, because it will surely go to someone that really wants it. I know people that have acceptances to other schools and are willing to decline offers to reapply for USC. Myself and a handful of people around me are extremely passionate about the school so my opinion is very biased.

I completely agree with you that the tuition of USC is quite insane. I was fortunate enough to receive a full-ride scholarship through HPSP but without it, it would have made my decision a lot harder to choose. At the end of the day, the majority of people who graduate here do pay off the debt and do become skilled and successful clinicians wherever they go. It requires good money management, a willingness to live below your means, and discipline no doubt. But honestly, that goes for many people who graduate from various programs across the country. USC offers a prime location to go to school, a nice and renovated building, great mentors + faculty, and a great class environment that draws many people in.

I finally got an acceptance! Logging off from SDN. Goodluck to everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let you guys know I gave up my seat for USC Class of 2024. Good luck to all you who are trying to get in!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let you guys know I gave up my seat for USC Class of 2024. Good luck to all you who are trying to get in!
May I ask which school you ended up committing to?

I respect your opinion, this is a very personal choice and I can only speak for myself. If USC is not your dream school and you consider the education the same at every other school I’m glad you gave up your spot, because it will surely go to someone that really wants it. I know people that have acceptances to other schools and are willing to decline offers to reapply for USC. Myself and a handful of people around me are extremely passionate about the school so my opinion is very biased.

wow declining offers to reapply that is crazyyyy. Idk how anyone who is taking out student loans can justify the cost of attendance. 150k/year? So 600,000 in student loans before any loan fees or accruing interest is added.

Maybe you saved a little bit of money here and there so let’s say somehow you end up at 600,000 total after adding everything. What’s your starting dentist salary year one? 150,000? What’s the math on paying that back? 600,000 at 6% interest means just the interest on your loan is 3,000 a month. If you wanted to pay that loan back in 10 years you’d have to throw over 6000 a month at your student loan.

In reality at that amount of student loan debt, you are guaranteeing yourself to go on a government repayment program like REPAYE and will be in student loan debt for the next 25 years into your 50s, hoping the government will forgive it at the end just for you to pay taxes on it.

what are the chances of an acceptance off the waitlist now that it is June?

Variable since COVID 19 and USC's rate of turn over. Hasn't been much movement with admissions this much in this part of the cycle this year since everyone has settled on a school sooner. You can only hope for seats opening due to people deferring a year. Many dental schools are letting students delay their acceptance a year due to COVID 19. USC's PBL learning style would be especially affected by COVID 19, definitely impacts USC ability to provide a decent curriculum. Some people may want to wait a year rather than learn in a handicapped manner.